News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Magnavox Hepplewhite

Started by 19and41, December 11, 2015, 03:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I just got my first console radio, a 1947 Magnavox 153B.  It has an AM and shortwave receiver with an optional FM tuner in a album cabinet.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

I didn't realize they had FM radio in 1947!

19and41

The FM process was patented in 1933.  Here is a summary of it's early history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting_in_the_United_States
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Finished restoration on the receiver and speakers.  the unit is a good performer.  Here are pics of the tuning indicator tube in the open position and the closed position that comes with a tuned in station.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I've put up an antenna hidden in the soffit, and the shortwave reception is pretty impressive.  I have gotten radio Romania, China, Havana, Australia And a number of others with no English programming.  The amp gives decent fidelity with the FM receiver and Mp3 input.  It has really been fun playing with it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

That's a very nice piece you have there. Looks good.

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Here is a pic of the 2 10 inch field coil speakers they are driven by a 22 watt push pull amp.  There was a bit of abrasion damage on one speaker.  I put a strong patch on the damaged area .  You can see it on the left.

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Here is a schematic diagram of the receiver/amp. I changed the FM audio connectors to RCA jacks from the period multi pin connectors.

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

and this is a schematic of the FM converter used with it.  Both this and the receiver/amp required replacement of all their paper and electrolytic capacitors.

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I got a RFI line filter that has cut the amount of spurious noise on the radio.  I was able to get Radio Prague between 5 and 7 pm while it was still daylight.  Just as strong and clear as the nearby AM stations. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I finally went to Home depot and got a post driver and a 1/2" 8 foot ground rod and sank it below the antenna lead in then ran some #8 wire from it to the shielding of the RG-6 I lead the antenna in on.  This reduces the RFI on the noise floor and allows for greater sensitivity across the short wave and AM broadcast bands.  Radio Havana comes in like it was coming from Atlanta.    I have had to do a replacement of the 15Mhz oscillator trimmer as the creatures that rented the interior before I purchased the radio leaked a little on it.  Surplus Sales Of Nebraska had a good replacement in both size and value.  I still need to do an over the air adjustment on the antenna trimmers to accommodate the new ground setup.  This thing has been mighty fun to work with since getting it!
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I've been listening to it regularly, and I get good reception from stations in both Europe and Asia.  The ground made a good improvement in it's reception.  The main stations I get regularly are ABC Australia and Radio China.  Radio Slovakia and Radio Prague come in  very well in the early evening, among other stations.  Radio Havana has a few good programs as well.  This thing has been a lot of fun for a $50 initial investment, sold to raise money for breast cancer research.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

The bad storm that passed through last weekend has apparently gotten moisture into the outdoor portion of the coax line to the antenna.  I am getting ground feedack on the antenna line.  It will need a disassembly and hot air treatment.  I messed up and didn't put synthetic grease into the grounding break I put into the antenna line.  Act in haste, repent in leisure.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Phonesrfun

Unfortunately, water in coax is pretty bad.  If it is significant, coax can act like a pipe and I have seen situations where water will actually drip out of the inside end!

Water also destroys the properties of coax, and can't really be dried out effectively.    You might be replacing it when the weather gets better.  I learned the hard way that one DOES NOT want to transmit using soggy coax.  It has a tendency to act like a short to final amplifiers.
-Bill G