News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

♫ I got a Redbar! ♫ Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah! ♫

Started by elmwood, November 25, 2010, 11:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmwood

Damnit, I'm getting the bug.  Won the eBay bidding at $30, plus $10 shipping.  I told myself I really didn't want to may more than $20 for a phone, but with all the hype surrounding Kellogg Redbars/Masterphones/1000s, I couldn't resist.

The package arrived quickly.  I heard Redbars are prone to cracking, but this one was intact.  I think it's because the case is metal, not Bakelite.  I read that some Redbar cases were aluminum, but this phone seemed was too heavy to be that, like it was actually drop-forged from steel.  Even the Bakelite handset is heavy enough to double as a blunt weapon; I'd say it weighs about 50% more than a Trimline headset.

I apologize in advance for the terrible photo.   I don't have my good camera handy.

darn, this is one manly phone.  It'll find a permanent place on my desk, from which I'll use it to call dames, broads, and skirts, demanding that they bring me coffee, gin, or cartons of filterless Lucky Strikes.

As with many eBay phones, the Redbar needed some cleaning.  Some Zymol made the case shine.  The black paint, likely leaded, has a wet look to it.  The dial was sticky and slow, but some bearing assembly oil fixed that.  The dial action is now nice and smooth, quietly winding up, and returning with a soft mechanical buzz.  The dial doesn't have a governor, so you can forcefully pull it back quickly.

The guts: The Redbar was definitely ahead of its time.  I wonder why the folks over at Western Electric didn't take any lessons from the Kellogg 1000 and apply them to the 500.  The Redbar is clean, modular, hacker-friendly.  It made me respect the ingenuity, foresight and engineering that went into non-WE phones.

For some reason, the line cord was attached to the receiver.  I only discovered that after connecting another line cable to what would have been the handset connections.  Unbelievably, I managed to get a dial tone, but I couldn't break it.  After checking out some schematics, I realized what was wrong with the wiring.

The cloth line cord is a bit frayed. All the phone needs is a headset cord, and the number plate fixings (which I can't seem to find on Old Phone Works), and it'll be good to go. 

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

elmwood

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on November 25, 2010, 11:10:48 PM
does it have a 10G or a 15G  dial?

Lemme' pop this bad boy open and see ... okay, 15G. 

The model number on the bottom of the base reads "1070 BB".

Kenny C

ok the dial in my AE 40 is a 15G and stub says they are virtualy the same as a AE dial so maybe a AE dial plate would fit. Stub can chime in anytime if he knows.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

elmwood ,
                Is the gov. missing from this phone?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: elmwood on November 25, 2010, 11:32:49 PM
Lemme' pop this bad boy open and see ... okay, 15G. 

The model number on the bottom of the base reads "1070 BB".

So it's a 1070 BB for Bad Boy....obviously!

Terry

stub

elmwood -
Kennyc1955 -

Kellogg would, on request, also supply other makes of dials, so occasionally collectors may find Redbars with AE or WE dials. In 1952 Kellogg discontinued the 10-series dial and changed to its new 15 series dial, which was identical to the Automatic Electric 24A36 dial, to satisfy those customers who preferred an AE-type dial.
                    http://tinyurl.com/39tupu5
                                                                                                                    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

elmwood

Quote from: stub1953 on November 25, 2010, 11:41:52 PM
elmwood ,
                Is the gov. missing from this phone?   stub

I think, in reality, it has one.  It's just not as .... well, forceful as resisting a forced return as a WE dial.  There's no missing parts from the dial that I can see.

stub

elmwood ,
             Nice phone!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

elmwood

Quote from: stub1953 on November 26, 2010, 12:16:21 AM
elmwood -
Kennyc1955 -

Kellogg would, on request, also supply other makes of dials, so occasionally collectors may find Redbars with AE or WE dials. In 1952 Kellogg discontinued the 10-series dial and changed to its new 15 series dial, which was identical to the Automatic Electric 24A36 dial, to satisfy those customers who preferred an AE-type dial.
                    http://tinyurl.com/39tupu5
                                                                                                                    stub

Cool!  I'll check out the dial centers on Old Phone Works again, and see if I can find a match.  Maybe post a question to them.  I just don't see any slots in the fingerwheel,

(checks again)

Okay, there's one slot, off to the side.  The fingerwheel and its parts actually look like this, except for the dial center.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/automatic-electric-black-dial-set.html

You guys are good. :)

How common are the steel case Redbars?  At least that's what I'm assuming it is; the case is too light to be aluminum, and it rings like steel.

Kenny C

By the center do you mean card? Or the ring that holds the card? I think the rings are interchangeable too and here is a dial card that is cut to fit an AE/ Kellogg dial and is a kellogg card so it is right for the phone.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/kellogg-dial-card-kit.html
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

elmwood,
              You can remove the screw that holds the fingerwheel  and you will see where the two tips of the springs are that hold the dial plate on. I use a small hook shaped pick to unclip them.       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

elmwood

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on November 26, 2010, 01:10:42 AM
By the center do you mean card? Or the ring that holds the card? I think the rings are interchangeable too and here is a dial card that is cut to fit an AE/ Kellogg dial and is a kellogg card so it is right for the phone.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/kellogg-dial-card-kit.html

Looks like it'll be a perfect fit.   Saved to my wish list.  :)