News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CAT 3 Specs and data Transfer

Started by Babybearjs, January 11, 2019, 01:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

;D OK, all you techies out there... enclosed is a spec sheet for Cat 3 cable. if it supports data transfers then why is CAT 5e pushed so hard for usage? I don't understand!
John

tubaman

I'm not sure how they plan to get 1000Mbps (ie Gigabit) out of Cat 3 cable when it's only supposed to support up to 10Mbps (100Mbps at a push)!

Cat5e is pushed because it is pretty universal - ie phone, Gigabit ethernet etc.
Cat3 is great phone cable, but don't use it for data as it's too slow.
:)

Babybearjs

John

Key2871

John, take the word from those who know about cat 5 cable and leave it go at that.

The twists in cat five cable are for data and how well it moves down the cable. Cat three basically has no twists, so data would move very slowly.

There is a reason, if you don't understand, look it up on Google, there must be something that will help you understand.

I don't even understand it all but I'm not going to post here and there looking to find answers. Just like splicing Cable can cause problems with using the wrong splice equipment.
Actually, cat 6 is the newest, and best for data, but I'm not going to get into it because I don't know, or do I care. If I wanted to know i would look it up in a book at the library or on line.
Ken
KEN

Key2871

Thanks to John for posting the picture, showing twists per inch...

Ken
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 11, 2019, 03:38:57 PM
do you think its twisted pair?
Cat 3 is twisted pair, So is Cat 5 it has more twists.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RB

First off, Let me say, nuthin I say is written down anywhere.
This is just my translation in my own words.
If you want all the politically correct facts, Google it.
So, please don't shout me down for my poor use of the English language.
Simply put...
It's all about speed.
Your talking about exactly the same wire for cat 3, cat 5, cat 6, ect...
Oh, and I think most small coax, but I digress.
The wire is the wire. how you apply the math, answers the questions.
How fast do I wanna go??? Or , more accurately, how fast will the current circuits available, ALLOW me to go?
RS 232 used basically the same signals over stranded cable. not real fast, but nuthin really REQUIRED much more speed...
just can I send this from here, to there.
Along comes ...well, ALL of us, we notice we are sending more data. AND IT'S TAKIN LONGER!!! I cudda sent three texts by now.
So... We need speed...SPEED. Sooo, how can we achieve more speed, using basically the same wires???
Along comes RS 422. Same data stream, but now, we through the addition of a PAIR of signals, 180 degrees opposite of each other, can compare them at the end of the transfer, and ignore any anomalys, and keep the good part. Better guarantee of accurate data received, but still relatively slow.
Now what? How can we get more speed? WELL... if you TWIST the wires, at or about the exchange rate, Woo Hoo!!! , the signal freq, equals the  exchange rate, and the noise is effectively blocked out.
Sooooo... More speed??? More twists.   up to a point.
Oh, and a shield... helps a little too.
Point is, weather it is cat 3, 5, 6, ...bailin wire...You are talkin about the same wire! ..." applied common sense required in Bailin wire reference"
It is how you configure it...AND THE CONNECTIONS ON THE ENDS!!!!!

Cuz, if you don't terminate it CORRECTLY, the system DOWNSHIFTS to about pots speed, or there abouts anyway.

And the ENVIRONMENT you build it in, is *** VITAL *** to it's success.
Did you hear that???
***VITAL***.
You are talkin about UNSHIELDED cable.
For those who don't know, that means ANTENNA...
ANYTHING in the air around you, is gonna be in your wires with you.
NOISE... is DIRECTLY proportionate to SPEED.
So, for best results, or POTENTIAL, consider usin shielded cables.
And keepin your stuff at least 3 feet away from any potential noise source.
Like, Florescent light ballasts, RF generating machines, SECURITY SYSTEMS!!!!! HVAC, Fire systems, etc...
Enjoy the rest of your day ;)

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: RB on January 11, 2019, 08:11:27 PM
First off, Let me say, nuthin I say is written down anywhere.

Found this written down in a short Google search for CAT3 vs CAT5 cable when looking for images of cable as posted above. It just the technical aspect of what you posted. You covered the practical aspects of where and how quite well in your reply.

Lot of good technical information in this pdf that supports what you have said. It will definitely be "rocket science" to some new to this hobby members.

Seems the rule of thumb is the tighter the twists, the higher the transmission rate. the higher the frequencies it will support. These are all 24 gauge solid copper conductors.

The attached pdf is a printout of this site:  https://customcable.ca/cat5-vs-cat6/

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RB on January 11, 2019, 08:11:27 PM
First off, Let me say, nuthin I say is written down anywhere. .....
T
I concur.
You live, You learn,

Key2871

Thanks guy's. Good work, take an extra phone outa petty cash..
KEN

Doug Rose

In the "old" days of the early 2000s you ran two separate cables to location.  Cat 3 for voice and cat 5 for data. Cat 5 was faster. We moved to a new building five years ago and we did cat5e. We run one cable that does both voice and data. Two cables to each location. LAN cable directly to phone, data off of phone with lan cable. Global....connecting offices around the word. No more punching down cables. Super neat wire fields.  I used to be in the switch working on the MDF constantly. Now I NEVER go into the MDF. IDF once in a while to patch a second port.  A Loooong way from punching down 25 pair and bringing the extra copper on Friday's to get money for pizza and beer. If you are an old phoneman....you remember! The difference between 8 tracks and CDs which are now relics

There is no "right way" to do things, technology is constantly evolving. That is why rotary phones are so cool to play with. They work today...maybe not dialing on FIOS or Comcast but they WORK.  You have a conversation and they Ring. Enjoy what we have.

Talking about running cables in a house, we are just trying to help. You cannot force someone to see what is plain as day. I have done this all my adult life. That is why I collect telephones.

Some techs become engineers, some "graduate" to Home Depot. You learn everyday.  You only learn if you listen. You might hear the noise, but listen to the help that is being offered...free of charge....Kidphone
Kidphone

Key2871

Yes, in New Hampshire, it's code. Cat 3 is a wire of the past.
All new construction has to use cat 5 or 6. If you get caught trying to put in cat 3 you get scolded, and have to remove it and replace with proper cable, plus IT puts a mark on you and you'd be lucky to get more work.. I used to work in supply you hear things...
KEN

Babybearjs

thanks guys! I forgot to mention that electricity always looks for the shortest path to ground. so... does this also apply to data transmission? when I saw that Cat 3 was rated for 100Mbs speed, I thought OK, it will work... and it does. (well I guess so) I have a line in my kitchen that is partially Cat3. I have a internet connection on the line... when I use it, it seems to work OK... I get my full speed of 100Mbs. so, I'm happy. I note that I'd like to make is commercial versus residential. in a commercial setting, yes Cat5 and 6 are required. but for home use, where most of the equipment has a 100Mbs threshold, cat3 would work just fine... I still can't get over how much equipment is still 10-100Mbs rated. very few times have I ever seen a 1000Mbs switch or router... at least not for home use... besides, everyone wants wireless anyway!
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 11, 2019, 10:57:42 PM
thanks guys! I forgot to mention that electricity always looks for the shortest path to ground.

Ground only works with a ground reference,
Run cat 5 to your data port (inside your home). Home run the cat 5 from the Dmarc
Anything else can be straight wire technology, quad or 25 pair  is fine because you are looking at analog (switching) technology vs digital (Data) technology
Jim
You live, You learn,

Babybearjs

thanks Guys! here's some stats for you...
John