News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can I make my own Colored AE40's?

Started by Ellen, April 28, 2009, 05:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellen

Look:  http://tinyurl.com/cotdev  I like the maroon and the royal blue, but you know they will be far beyond my reach if they *ever* come up for auction.  All I can do is drool on the screen.

Can I paint my AE40?  Please? 

HobieSport

Hey Ellen,  Yep, maroon and royal blue are two of my favorite colors too.  It's not like I only like black.  Black is just more affordable and looks great when all polished and reflective.

Hmm.  Too bad there isn't some kind of paint that is durable yet easily removable with a special chemical without damaging the original.  If that were possible, I'd take an AE40, paint it gold, and viola, The Godfather phone.

McHeath

I paint phones.  ( he said in a whisper so that he does not get a shoe thrown at him  ;))  Sometimes I polish them, sometimes I paint them, depends on what I'm going for.  Probably going to spray a black 500 shell yellow this weekend. 

HobieSport

HEY ELLEN, HEATH PAINTS PHONES!!!

he said in a whisper

But you wouldn't want to paint your family phone, right?  Maybe get another AE40 or two to paint?  One in maroon and one in royal blue, 'natch.

I'm going to take a rough AE40 and do the gold Godfather thing.  Let the shoes of the Telephone Mafia fly...

bingster

I'm generally against altering an original anything, but in the case of a commonplace telephone, I say go for it.  It's easily stripped off down the line, so it won't permanently harm the phone.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster
I'm generally against altering an original anything, but in the case of a commonplace telephone, I say go for it.  It's easily stripped off down the line, so it won't permanently harm the phone.

Exactly.  So go for it, Ellen.  Any colors you want. Go wild.

Now then.  How do I get burn stains off of my Revere Ware?  I found out the hard way that the Revere Ware is so much more efficient than the aluminum/teflon I was used to that it works much faster at lower heats.

Dan/Panther

Ellen;
If you can swing it, take it to an auto painter and have them put some epoxy based auto paint, and then a clear coat. It should be bullet proof.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Coming Soon:  Ellen's Design Line of Custom Colors... ;D

Ellen; I guess you've seen the painted phones at Old Phone Works:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/royal-blue-model-40.html

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/type-40-red-finish-with-chrome-trim.html

They call them "refinished" but I think that is a bit misleading.

Personally I still wouldn't paint an original family AE40. It would be terrible to mess it up.   I'd shop on Ebay for some other decent AE40s at good prices to paint.  Just my .02 of course.

Here's a pic that Mienaichizu sent of a collection of colored AE40s that a friend of his has.   Drool!

Ellen

No, I married a museum guy who has a bugaboo about changing things too much.  A preservationist.  And my brother-in-law is an antique dealer who tells me that the really awful scratched and worn paint on my desk chair is nice (see below), so I don't think I could really paint an old phone.  The legs of the chair are held with a double-Spanish-windlass and a chopstick.

However, because of my parents' worsening condition, I am giving in to the cell phone, and it is wine-color, and I will paint my name on it with nail polish.  And decorate, too, no doubt.  In 50 years it can sell as "primitive art".

Revere Ware: Burn stains: Bon Ami cleanser
Burnt-on stuff: soak over night, then re-burn and the steam will lift a lot of it off.  Sharp metal tools are just fine, with a gentle touch.
Tarnished copper bottom: Barkeeper's Friend cleanser.

Here's a little hint: Don't use your nice pot to do a deep-fried turkey.  It will be years before the transformed oil gunk wears off.  Ask me how I know ...

BDM

Quote from: Ellen on April 29, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Here's a little hint: Don't use your nice pot to do a deep-fried turkey.  It will be years before the transformed oil gunk wears off.  Ask me how I know ...

LOL 8)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Oh. I thought you were serious about painting a phone.  Well then...nevermind. :)

Thanks for the tips about cleaning the pots.  I felt pretty stupid about messing them up after all these years. :P

Nice looking chair.  I like how the cat is appraising the patina. 8)

Ellen

Quote from: HobieSport on April 29, 2009, 02:31:28 PM
Oh. I thought you were serious about painting a phone. 

Well, yes and no.  "No" won.  For now.

HobieSport

While I appreciate un-retouched and preserved history as much as the next person (Our whole little town is a national historic preservation district) I still don't think it would be complete blasphemy to paint a common phone as long as the paint was removable without harming the original.  Think of it as long term U.V. protection perhaps?  Okay, I admit, I'm just curious what colors you might have come up with. :D

Dan/Panther

I have a set of Revereware that I use daily. It is as stick free as Teflon, IF you use it as intended,  Low flame, do not add salt to water, as it creates mini pits that will cause food to stick, and as soon as you are done using the pan, run COLD water into the hot pan, this will prevent sticking. If you burn something, it will come off, but it can be hard. My ex had one flame size, HIGH, consequently she burned the pans more than once. I use Bartenders helper to keep the stainless and copper shinning.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Thanks for the good tips on the Revere Ware, D/P.  I didn't know about the salt.