News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Your House - Pictures

Started by Netdewt, March 16, 2010, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Dennis asks about the lawn, yes we have a riding tractor mower and it makes short work of the lawn.  In the old days before it, when we used a push mower, it was an easy 2 hour job.  But now it can be done in 40 minutes.

Netdewt asks about the kitchen cabinets.  They are all original, most of the kitchen is.  The appliances were mostly changed, not all, and floor is changed, and the overhead lights.  It had a super cool UFO lamp over the island that I threw away in a moment of pure stupidity when I first moved in.  The kitchen table is from the late 50's and the chrome rolley chairs are from the late 70's. 

I came real close to painting all the wood in the kitchen white when I first moved in, but a friend talked me out of using such comments as, "Are you freakin' nuts!??  That's high quality maple!"

I like your house Tom, it's a nice clean example of a modern day ranch and is true to the style.  If you could airlift it and the property here to central Calif you might get a cool 1.5 million for it. 

Steve

Nice kitchen McHeath!

We rented an apartment for 5-6 years with a similar kitchen. most places we have lived were older, but there is something about a well built 50's home that really speaks to me.

BTW are your knobs like these?

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Phonesrfun

Speaking of kitchens, everyone goes gaga over my aqua 1950's oven that's like new.

-Bill G

McHeath

Steve, no the knobs are a common and simple flat chrome disk on a simple pedestal, you can still buy them even at places like Home Depot and Loews.  Those in your picture are very cool, and they go well with the nice color wood and the cute girl. ;)

Bill, Love that aqua oven! 

We will sometimes go to open houses when it's a nice mid century era home to see the inside and enjoy the time period details.  Kitchens and bathrooms can be pretty fun, especially in the custom homes.

Netdewt, thanks for the compliment on the ranch.  I really like a well done ranch style house, and luckily ours is I think.  The later ones, especially the boring plain janes from the 70's, are pretty unappealing and just sad.  I lived in one that was built in 78', it was dark with hardly and windows, no style remaining at all, just a cheap builder quality home.

The Cape Cod is a favorite of ours and there are some really nice ones in town.  Once had a friend back east who had a full basement under theirs that was finished out, that certainly made a little house quite large and livable. 

Steve

Our oven was in a cabinet just like that, only it was stainless. I had an agreement with my landlord and as the appliances went, I replaced them with black ones. it looked good with the birch cabinets.

as far as the cute girl, that's my wife of 26 years. aint she a doll? that pics from 1997 or so...
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Netdewt

Nice oven! I have a friend with a working Frigidaire Flair (early '60's?).

AET

Me and the Colony Park are close in age, I came about November 15, 1990.  It's cool that it's an original owner car, but I'm surprised that you're that worried about her mechanically.  How many miles?  And sorry you're not hip on the CB lingo.  I have a CB in my wagon and used it all the time. 

And you're not the only guy here who drives station wagons and collects phones fro the fifties ya know :)

And on the business plan.  My dad said he's going to let me sell some antiques, and if it works out, he may set me up with an antique shop.
- Tom

GusHerb

Quote from: McHeath on March 17, 2010, 11:46:30 PM
Here's my house.  It's a 1966 ranch house style on a 1/2 acre lot.  When it was built it was out in the country and there is a water well and septic tank in the backyard, but we are deep in the city now and on city services.  Above ground construction, but no basement as is usual for California, stucco walls and wood shake roof.

Also included is a pic of the kitchen.

I love your kitchen! it's straight from a 1960s home magazine, you even got the right furniture in there too.
The only cool old house I know of is my grandma's house, it's a rather small looking ranch from the front but you go in and quickly realize it's a sprawling house. the main part was built in 1950, in a, at the time new developing neighborhood in the town where the people with money lived. Only stupid thing is they built the neighborhood on the river.... the neighborhood flooded in 1954 along with the house.
Needless to say it's undergone LOTS of renovations in it's life between the original owner's having plenty of money and the flood's it's gone through, and the family room addition being added on in 1960. But despite all that renovation the front bathroom still has it's original tile, bathtub, and vanity cabinet which all together make a pretty classy bathroom to this day still. The kitchen got re worked a bit to accomodate for the new doorway to the family room so it's a bit different from 1950 but all 1950 maple cabinets still, the appliances are from 1960 and were very high end. it even had a dishwasher.
The place was "70s-ified" before my grandma bought it in 1975. Mutations like PAINTING those nice cabinets were done along with a translucent plastic drop ceiling with fluorescent light's behind it... it looked horrifying.
fast forward to 2008 and the neighborhood flooded again and the house was flooded up to 1" before reaching the main level. So it was time for another renovation, EVERYTHING mechanical was re done from scratch, and the biggest eyesores were "fixed" the kitchen got a nice new paintjob, the drop ceiling is gone and it's got a new floor, and the severely worn out back bathroom got a mild reno as well. I would say it looks more original now than it did before the mild remodeling.

Now I would love to finish this post off with pictures of everything I described but sadly I don't have any and I have to go over there sometime to take pics.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

These posts started reminding me about an old record album, sponsored by Caloric, at my mother's house.  I wonder if it is still there.

Larry

jsowers

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 19, 2010, 04:11:09 AM
Me and the Colony Park are close in age, I came about November 15, 1990.  It's cool that it's an original owner car, but I'm surprised that you're that worried about her mechanically.  How many miles?  And sorry you're not hip on the CB lingo.  I have a CB in my wagon and used it all the time. 

And you're not the only guy here who drives station wagons and collects phones fro the fifties ya know :)

And on the business plan.  My dad said he's going to let me sell some antiques, and if it works out, he may set me up with an antique shop.

About 110,000 miles or so. I know it's turned over to 100,000 and I haven't driven it a lot after that. I started it up Saturday and she fired right up first try. The only oddity was something had actually chewed the negative post on the battery. I have to disconnect it to keep the battery from running down and some critter must have had a lead deficiency or something! Nothing else got gnawed and the post isn't all gone, so I could still connect the negative clamp and use the battery. But it's a bit shorter than it was before.

Tom, with your love of all things old, an antique shop would be great. You could specialize in old phones. As with the phones, books on antiques and collectibles are great to have to help you learn about all the stuff that's out there.

About the Frigidaire Flair stove, look at early B&W Bewitched episodes and you'll see Samantha has one of those in her kitchen. The eye-level oven doors lift up. Very odd. I need to take a picture of mom's 1953 kitchen, complete with her 40" 1953 GE stove that still works and gets daily use. It's somewhat dark in her kitchen, with Pickwick knotty pine paneling on the walls and cabinets.
Jonathan

Netdewt

Any more decor for the 50's? I'd love to see ideas of stuff I should get.

bingster

= DARRIN =

Steve

I should take some pictures and post them of my new abode..

I live in an apartment that has only had 2-3 tenants since we moved in. it was built in 1946.

there are only 2 coats of paint on the walls, and we are going to paint again. 3rd coat.

anyplace we scratch, green is the underlying color. cream color for the trim.

give me a few, and I will post pics, I am asking advice, from you members who are knowledgeable .
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bwanna

i am drooling over the photos on flicker! great resource for the renovations i have going on!
donna