News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (276 Cancelled: Listing Terminated) WE B1/E1 in Brass?

Started by TelePlay, May 03, 2017, 03:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Seller had added picture of inside.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Interesting. I did send the seller a message asking for that photo.

Nice and clean. Looks like a painted brass/bronze base. Newer dial. Missing one screw on the dial mount. Hot wired (without the minimum RC circuit). No word from the seller as to what he is going to do. I suspect relist it over the next few days.

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on May 04, 2017, 11:16:49 AM
Nice and clean. Looks like a painted brass/bronze base. Newer dial. Missing one screw on the dial mount. Hot wired (without the minimum RC circuit). No word from the seller as to what he is going to do. I suspect relist it over the next few days.

Nice and clean ?  Hmm, meaning little dirt ?

It is completely fake and poorly made.   The thread holes for attaching the base plate aren't even centered on the arms.
The switch contact 'extensions' are not the same, original size and appear 'home' cut without markings, and the screws are tiny round-head screws, while the originals ones used a broad head from brass. The threads are poorly cut, leaving a metal rim pressed out where the spade tips should make clean contact with the entire surface.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on May 04, 2017, 11:35:06 AM
Nice and clean ?  Hmm, meaning little dirt ?

It is completely fake and poorly made.   The thread holes for attaching the base plate aren't even centered on the arms.
The switch contact 'extensions' are not the same, original size and appear 'home' cut without markings, and the screws are tiny round-head screws, while the originals ones used a broad head from brass. The threads are poorly cut, leaving a metal rim pressed out where the spade tips should make clean contact with the entire surface.

unbeldi, quite the eye for detail. Even after reading those points, I had to look twice at the internals to see what you discovered.

And, yes --  Nice and clean ?  Hmm, meaning little dirt ? --  a relative term as in a comparison to something like this . . .   or worse such as water encrusted salts and corrosion after submersion in flood waters.

poplar1

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on May 03, 2017, 06:59:18 PM
Okay, guys. It's a contest not for originality but what it will sell for. I see $100 or more in parts on this item. I agree it's not factory NOS but it is a change to get a win in a contest. It's not going to go for $23 when the base, base plate, dial, handset are each worth that alone.

Well, looks like Skyrider and I were in the ball park at about $100. Sold today for $104.50 to a bidder who placed a high bid 15 seconds before end time, high enough to keep two last second snipes from taking the phone home. So, if someone want to own up to being u***5 ( 866 ), the winner, and letting us know what they bought, it would be appreciated.

poplar1

The seller  emailed me that the seller had told him it was original. And at that point, he canceled the listing. But then he relisted it again, still claiming it was a Western Electric. I sent him these pictures for comparison:

TelePlay

Internal comparison, for the record . . .