News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Could an old Smart1 dialler be powered by DC instead of AC?

Started by dsk, August 18, 2012, 11:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Hi
I have an old Smart1 Euroroute, Originally the power supply is AC 24V.
Whats happening if I connect it to the 24V DC supply for the PAX?

dsk

twocvbloke

Well, if the device was expecting AC and has it's own built-in AC to DC rectifier stage, then it would most likely just run fine, with the DC passing through half of the rectifier diodes, but it would probably drop the voltage by 1 or 2V...

Just don't try feeding a device AC power when it wants DC power, I've done that in the past, and the magic smoke that all electronics run on escaped from the devices in question.... :D

G-Man

Not sure about Smart-1 EuroRoute controllers but U.S. Smart-1's utilize a dual power supply with nominal 33-volt (w/load- 24-volt?) and 12-volt outputs.

twocvbloke

I don't even know what a Smart1 is, I'm just basing the power side on my understanding of feeding DC to AC hardware and AC on DC hardware... :D

G-Man

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 18, 2012, 06:08:59 PM
I don't even know what a Smart1 is, I'm just basing the power side on my understanding of feeding DC to AC hardware and AC on DC hardware... :D

SMART-1 is the Mitel controller d_s_k is referring to. I don't know if the Euroroute version is different from the U.S. version.

dsk

Now, I have tested, it doesn't power up, and it is no leak of black smoke  ;)

Its just to manage to put the black smoke back again from were it came, and everyting should work well  ;D ;D

On the other hand, the unit forgets the programming as soon as its no power, and it has no visible memory battery, so I am in some trouble.

I had a PC once were the battery was a part of the bios chip, it may be some of the same.

dsk

dsk

The postage kill my budget  >:( but I got a SMART - 1 for less than $10 so its OK  :)
The US version this time called PAV+

Slightly different software, but no problem.

I guess I have I have everything needed to use my rotary PAX without using the Panasonic as a tone to pulse converter.

Mike Sandman http://www.sandman.com/ had (has?) one tone to pulse converter left.  Quite expensive, about $105 incl postage, that's about double price, and in addition the risk of having to pay 25% tax, and a fee for the taxation job.

dsk

dsk

This becomes actual again. The CMOS- battery seems to be in the chip, and not replaceable. With a powerout It forgets everything and I have to set it up again.

This is definitely out of my comfort zone.

dsk

RB

The Batt/chip combo, has it's limits.
I might suggest a small UPS with the power sup plugged into it for the backup.
If that's all that is on it, it should last quite a long time in a power outage. ;)

dsk

They are obviously different versions. Opened another who lost memory, and yes! It was an old leaky battery. I had another old but not leaking Nicad battery of 2.4V and soldered it in. Time will show how long it will survive.

dsk