News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Center and Dial of North Electric 7H8 removal

Started by davidbholcomb, January 08, 2013, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbholcomb

I have a North Electric 7H8 wall phone and would like to remove the dial center and the dial in order to clean them. Is anyone familiar with how to remove both?
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

LarryInMichigan

That dial is an AE.  Somewhere around here is a link to the instructions on removing AE dial finger wheels.  You should be able to find the instructions on the telephonecollectors.info website.

Larry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

davidbholcomb

Fantastic, thank you Larry and Harry for the info. It is a big help.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

Greg G.

The dial itself is usually accessed from the back side by removing the housing.  Diagram or take a pic of where the wires go.  Or were you referring to just the finger wheel?

Here's a video of removing the dial center and finger wheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laNScD-Rw1A
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

If I were the "Director" producing that video I would have said "CUT. Get an AE 40 in here and get rid of the AE 50 so we can clearly see what is being done to the dial to remove the number card retainer without having to lay the 50 down on it's back out of view".

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 08, 2013, 09:37:09 PM
If I were the "Director" producing that video I would have said "CUT. Get an AE 40 in here and get rid of the AE 50 so we can clearly see what is being done to the dial to remove the number card retainer without having to lay the 50 down on it's back out of view".

Terry

I winced when he dropped it on it's back and something went flying! (Right about :43).  In theory, that's how they come off.  In reality, they are often stuck after being on there for decades, hidden by a dial card.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

davidbholcomb

Quote from: Brinybay on January 08, 2013, 05:50:53 PM
 Or were you referring to just the finger wheel?

Here's a video of removing the dial center and finger wheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laNScD-Rw1A

Thanks also for the link to the video. A picture is worth a 1000 words. With everyone's help I have successfully removed the "finger wheel" (not the dial, as I wrote) and the dial center and they cleaned up very nicely. Thanks again!