News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

western electric 50AL wiring

Started by TallahasseeTom, March 22, 2013, 05:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallahasseeTom

Would appreciate a tip on the 50 AL. Have done the 102/202, and 151AL in the past and got some tips on that when I started out.
but past few months bought a decent 50AL with no wiring or dial. Already have a good 2AA dial, a good 534,  and several extra wires. Can someone supply me with the wiring diagram for the 50AL?  Do I need to buy short connector wires to run from the dial to the stalk?  The rest looks routine. Maybe it would be evident when I started hooking everything up. Just got it back from the painter yesterday, a young auto body guy who can paint great. He does 534 and 634 boxes well in case anyone is interested. Thank you for the advice and help.

poplar1

4 wires from dial to rack. The dial wires connect to the side opposite from the hookswitch contacts and the terminals (large brass screws) are labeled the same as the 2A dial (Y BK BB W).

3 wires from rack to the 534A. in the phone: Connect Yellow to Y, Red to R, Green to GN. In the subset, connect Yellow to L2Y, Green to GN, and Red to R.

Receiver connects to W and GN on the rack. .

Transmitter connects to the two YY terminals.

Both cords go to the rack. Unlike the 51-AL and 151-AL, there are no connections in the base other than the 4 wire harness for the dial.

If this phone never had a dial, then there may be straps between BK and YY and between BB and W. These would have to be removed.

I don't have any way to scan the diagram, but it can be found in BSP section C63.373.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Quote from: TallahasseeTom on March 22, 2013, 05:14:06 PM
Would appreciate a tip on the 50 AL. Have done the 102/202, and 151AL in the past and got some tips on that when I started out.
but past few months bought a decent 50AL with no wiring or dial. Already have a good 2AA dial, a good 534,  and several extra wires. Can someone supply me with the wiring diagram for the 50AL?  Do I need to buy short connector wires to run from the dial to the stalk?  The rest looks routine. Maybe it would be evident when I started hooking everything up. Just got it back from the painter yesterday, a young auto body guy who can paint great. He does 534 and 634 boxes well in case anyone is interested. Thank you for the advice and help.

See if this scan from the TCI Library helps...

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3483-c63-373-i2-desk-stand-connections-cb

March 1937. Sidetone and anti-sidetone common battery desk stand connections for individual lines, two-party selective flat rate, two-party selective message rate, four-party semi-selective, four-party selective, eight-party semi-selective, non-selective party line, divided code ringing and regular PBX stations. Includes 40CM, 20CM, 40AL, 20AL, 50CM, 50AL, 51CM, 51AL, 52AB, 151AL, 152AB, 140AL, 120AL, 151R, and 51AL .

TallahasseeTom

yes, it does help and thank you. I found a great diagram and picture of the rack connections and I need to post it. Have to figure out how to do so.

Also need to see if anyone still sells the 4 wire short harness for dial to rack connections. Vistful Vista said they no longer have it. :)