News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Color 5302s

Started by Dennis Markham, June 11, 2009, 12:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

It looks like that phone (the housing) was made 02-17-59, a Tuesday.  Vanguard, the first weather satellite was launched that very day.

JorgeAmely

The mounting cord looks interesting. It looks like a smooth ivory or light beige straight handset cord was used instead. That by itself is worth a lot of money.

Dennis, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there an eBay auction of these phones, maybe 4 or 5 of them, for well over $2-3 thousand dollars a few years ago? I think you know the seller.

Jorge

McHeath

Wow, what a cool phone.  What's so ironic is that beige in a normal 500 is about as plain jane as you can get, but in a 5302 a beige phone is going to get some action. 

Wonder what kind of handset that is?  Do you think it's the one with the F series parts inside it? 

Dennis Markham

Jorge, there were four of the 5302's that were sold as a "lot" a couple of years ago.  I did have the opportunity to view them in person before they were listed.  I don't remember the final sale price but I think you are in the ball park with that price.  They were in excellent original condition.  I have a couple photos but the quality isn't real great.  

These photos were taken by the seller, a local phone collector, Bob Loeser.

jsowers

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 10, 2009, 12:04:42 AM
The mounting cord looks interesting. It looks like a smooth ivory or light beige straight handset cord was used instead. That by itself is worth a lot of money.

I first thought it was a standard 60s heavy duty mounting cord on backwards, but you're right, Jorge. It's a handset cord. It could be a straight dark beige handset cord, which is something I've never seen before. It seems to match the dark beige 283B plug on the end. It looks too dark to be ivory and light beige came along too late for straight handset cords, or at least I've never seen them in any of the new for 1957 colors. Yes, that's a valuable handset cord.

Jester, you need to put it to its original use and you'll have a very nice dark beige phone in addition to your nice light beige 5302. A standard light beige mounting cord shouldn't be too hard to find. But a dark beige straight handset cord is pretty much unobtanium. You also need to find a replacement or repair the break in the handset cord on the 5302. Good luck on that! And happy birthday!
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

I didn't notice that mounting cord as being a handset cord either.  Lucky Dog! :)

Thank you once again to Jonathan for making me go to Dictionary.com.

unobtanium

1. n.
      something highly desirable that cannot be found

Jester

Jonathan,

Thank you for pointing out the "bonus" with that line cord.  I did notice that dark beige cover on the 283B and noted the white, red & black conductors inside the phone as well as the grommet that reminded me of a handset cord, but I hadn't put the pieces together.  That would be something if this one is still useable as a handset cord--I don't have a straight colored cord for 500's.  I just checked the auction pictures-- nobody lopped off that unused white wire!
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Stephen, I'm sure I have a Light Beige mounting cord in my stash when you get that far into the refurbishing of the phone.

JimH

Wow, very worth the price!  This is probably the rarest of all WE telephones from the 50s on.  I'm still puzzled why there are not more out there, considering WE was trying to fill a huge demand for colored phones...to the point of refurbishing old 202s in color.
Jim H.

Dan

I picked this up on ebay and I have never had a colored 5302 but the price was right. From the looks of this picture, does this look legit? Also it looks like he mentioned it has 5302 on the bottom. Thanks

http://tinyurl.com/47t7xqn
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

baldopeacock

looks legit to me.   You got a steal.

Dennis Markham

Dan, it looks legit to me.  I think the seller's lack of additional photos caused it to fly below the radar.  I think you got it for a reasonable price.  Let me modify my statement...you got it for a great price.  I seem to remember one selling in the $1,500 range (pink) a few years back.  It was in near mint condition but this one could be brought back to life.  It looks a little yellowed from UV exposure.  

Kenny C

First a 49 and now this Congratulations!!!!!!
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan on January 15, 2011, 03:11:04 PM
I picked this up on ebay and I have never had a colored 5302 but the price was right. From the looks of this picture, does this look legit? Also it looks like he mentioned it has 5302 on the bottom. Thanks

http://tinyurl.com/47t7xqn
Dan...super find my man. I agree with Dennis, poor advertising with only on picture. I went right by it. This is the same way my Green North slipped through the cracks, poor pictures and description. NICE FIND!!!,,,,,Doug
Kidphone

Tom B

Dan
Is it a 3/59...? :D
Seriously Great Find!
Tom