News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Color 5302s

Started by Dennis Markham, June 11, 2009, 12:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

At this price it is too much paid and sometimes some buyers are too eager (((( hurry up ))))to buy and do not look properly in order to detect cracks or other things. :)

Kenton K

I didn't know WE made white 5302s. I though they were all black. Did they make any other colors?

Ken

AE_Collector

It amazes me that they could bother making a few in color when the 500's in color were in production and all they were trying to do was get some old 302's back into the field to help meet demand for phones and phone service. Most people still just wanted black phones then so why not just make black 5302's and put the customer into a shiny new 500 if they wanted color?

Terry

Russ Kirk

In some parts of the country uncommon phones like this are very hard to find. I often see other collectors say a phone went for too much money. But as noted there was a old thread that discussed these phones.  The thread is over 4 years ago. So if phones like these only come up every few years, i don't think these prices are too far off. After all, if it was for sale at a phone show and i could examine it closely It could have sold.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 16, 2013, 12:26:10 PM
It amazes me that they could bother making a few in color when the 500's in color were in production and all they were trying to do was get some old 302's back into the field to help meet demand for phones and phone service. Most people still just wanted black phones then so why not just make black 5302's and put the customer into a shiny new 500 if they wanted color?

Terry
I think Western Electric tried making 5302s in color, but it never really took off.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

MMikeJBenN27

There once was quite a few Rose Beige 554s.  I have one.  A couple of years ago, there was a pink 5302 on E-Bay. 

Key2871

In all my years of looking and hunting for old phones, I have never seen a white 5302, I've only seen black. And usually not in very good condition..
You have some very impressive sets there Dennis, very nice indeed. Congratulations on those.

Ken
KEN

Jim Stettler

I have only found 1 color 5302, It is white
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2502.msg34179#msg34179
I think that is the only photo I have of it.

Per Paul F.'s site they were made in pink, aqua, biege, white,
red, green, clear.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I just did a quick search for Clear 5302. Lots of discussion on them but not a single picture. Some people say they have seen one. Are there any pictures? Is this the "Bigfoot" of telephones? Lots of "sightings" but no real pictures?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

Either that or there are pictures and they are too blurry to make out any details.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 12, 2019, 02:47:12 PM
I just did a quick search for Clear 5302. Lots of discussion on them but not a single picture. Some people say they have seen one. Are there any pictures? Is this the "Bigfoot" of telephones? Lots of "sightings" but no real pictures?
Haven't seen any photos. I was in touch with a collector who had one. We were  never able to make a deal. I had got the tip from a different collector who had seen the phone in person.
The other set was a less substantial rumour, but it did seem to be a different set.
You live, You learn,

Payphone installer

I hve seen a clear 5302 phone at a ATCA show in Indiana many years ago. John Huck had it for sale. They were made. I have also opened every color but clear. They are rare but they exist. It is like the soft plastic 302's yep they were made I owned 4.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Payphone installer on February 13, 2019, 09:03:05 PM
I hve seen a clear 5302 phone at a ATCA show in Indiana many years ago. John Huck had it for sale. They were made. I have also opened every color but clear. They are rare but they exist. It is like the soft plastic 302's yep they were made I owned 4.
John was who I got the tip from. I have also owned soft plastic 302's and a soft red princess.
You live, You learn,

MMikeJBenN27

I have a Rose Beige 554, and I used to see quite a few of them in some stores built in the 50s.  Are you sure that discolored white 5302 isn't actually ivory?