News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic Model 554's

Started by jsowers, September 15, 2009, 04:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

This is a yellow example from 7-8/58 that I picked up awhile ago.
Stephen

Craig T

That is a nice clean 554. Great addition! I have one black soft 554.

finlover

I've only restored one colored soft plastic 554: a Cherry Red '57.  My dad has it now so maybe someday I'll get it back.

finlover

a few more shots

Dennis Markham

Nice phones Jester, and a nice price.  I like the look of the original dial card on the Ivory too.  The yellow 554 is very nice as well in great shape.  That color is very difficult to find in soft plastic, even more "rare" than the desk version.  Often those soft plastic housings are kind of translucent. If you hold it up to the light you will see through the plastic, or see light coming through.  That won't happen with the ABS brother. 

Greg, yet another beautiful red phone.  That wide hook is very nice.  Was that the dial card that was on it when you got it?  I think I have a weakness for them in red........and Yellow....and Ivory....and...........

finlover

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 26, 2010, 09:04:55 AM
Was that the dial card that was on it when you got it?

Glad you like it, Dennis!  The dial card came off a parts phone, but I thought it added a little interest. 

Dennis Markham

Yes Greg, it's a great card.  717, Philly area.  Beautiful phone.  Is it going to hang on the wall?

finlover

It hanging in a hallway in my dad's house, so I get to see it once in a while.

Jester

I like red too, Greg.  One went on auction last week, but someone did some offline bargaining for it & it was gone the next day.  Yours is a real prize, & I bet Dad likes it, too.
Stephen

jsowers

Quote from: Jester on January 26, 2010, 12:32:09 AM
This is a yellow example from 7-8/58 that I picked up awhile ago.

Jester, it's a very nice example of yellow. Donna, do you see what great phones were made in 8-58? This one was made in early August, so it's not likely to have any birthday dates for either Donna or me. But it's nice to see. That coil cord is lighter yellow and most of the light colors did that early on. Like pink and both beiges, the cords faded lighter. It makes it look more original, so I wouldn't change it.
Jonathan

finlover

Quote from: Jester on January 26, 2010, 12:02:56 PM
I like red too, Greg.  One went on auction last week, but someone did some offline bargaining for it & it was gone the next day.  Yours is a real prize, & I bet Dad likes it, too.
Thanks, Jester,
Since I've gotten into old phones, Dad has developed quite an appreciation for them.  I grew up with a white 2554 in our house which Dad wanted to replace with a white early'60s 554.  He prefers the more vintage look and the dual gong ringer.  

I love the red '57 though--I'm glad it stayed in the family!

Dennis Markham

And those wide, or thick hooks and the lower profile of the open center finger wheel really give them a nice look compared to the later models.  There are some nice lookin' phones displayed on this posting! :)

JimH

Did anyone stop to think that if it weren't for people like us collecting all these vintage works of art, they may have been lost forever?
Jim H.

Dennis Markham

Hey Greg, if you go to www.anywho.com and do a reverse look-up on that phone number, it is still active and comes back to a person in Duncannon, PA.  It may or may be the person that had the red phone, but it's certainly the same number in the same town.

~Dennis

McHeath

These are some sweet 554s.  Scary nice.  All I ever see locally are badly faded and stickered up modular units for outrageous prices.