"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic Model 554's

Started by jsowers, September 15, 2009, 04:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

I love this thread!!!!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who really enjoys, and collects the 554's...

You guys have some incredible, totally-enviable collections of 554's(!!!!!) I have but four, at present - a curable condition, I presume! ;)

I was wondering if anybody on the list can refer me to, has, or can measure the dimensions, layout of holes, etc., for the 172B backing board Bell once provided / utilized for the installation of these wall units?

I wish to fabricate some from various hardwoods, to match the decor of the room installed in, as I think it would add considerable elegance and visual appeal, vs. screwed to the wall, as they presently are.

Is there a BSP that gives a detailed layout drawing? Sorry for yet another newbie question ::), but, um, er, I am a newbie to some of this... :D

Thanks in advance, anticipating your input! I wish all of you a most enjoyable weekend, and my very best regards to you and yours!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

I searched the site, found a back board thread with a reference http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4954.msg62552#msg62552 to 463-130-100, but searching out the document at TCI only provided install info for plastic back boards, so still searching for dimensions...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

paul-f

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 02, 2013, 03:52:04 PM

I searched the site, found a back board thread with a reference http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4954.msg62552#msg62552 to 463-130-100, but searching out the document at TCI only provided install info for plastic back boards

That BSP gives the overall dimensions - 10 x 5 5/8 and shows the hole layout.

You could estimate the locations of the holes by printing a large Fig 16 and using proportions to get the measurements.

Checking earlier BSPs, the wood 172A and 172B were the same overall dimensions.

C37.201 Addendum issue 1, 8/55 has directions to modify an A to a B.

1. drill a 3/8 hole on the centerline 1 3/8" up from the bottom for the 554 or 556.

2. drill a3/8 hole on the centerline 3 1/2" down from the top for the 558.

The holes are for the mointing cord.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Mr. Bones

Quote from: paul-f on February 02, 2013, 06:24:51 PM
That BSP gives the overall dimensions - 10 x 5 5/8 and shows the hole layout.

You could estimate the locations of the holes by printing a large Fig 16 and using proportions to get the measurements.

Checking earlier BSPs, the wood 172A and 172B were the same overall dimensions.

C37.201 Addendum issue 1, 8/55 has directions to modify an A to a B.

1. drill a 3/8 hole on the centerline 1 3/8" up from the bottom for the 554 or 556.

2. drill a3/8 hole on the centerline 3 1/2" down from the top for the 558.

The holes are for the mointing cord.

Many Thanks, Paul!

I didn't see it in the .pdf I linked to at the TCI site... it was only two pages, a small excerpt from the referenced BSP, apparently... should have tried some of the other links, sorry for the trouble, sir!

This is exactly the type of information I need, along with hole diameters, countersink diameter and depth, edge radius, etc. I want mine to be right, or not bother making any, at all!!!

Just the way my OS works, and I apologize for that... ;) (Think 'Johnny Five'!!!) :D

</OCD Perfectionism> http://tinyurl.com/5d47qy

'Normal'

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

paul-f

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 02, 2013, 06:45:28 PM

I didn't see it in the .pdf I linked to at the TCI site... it was only two pages, a small excerpt from the referenced BSP, apparently... should have tried some of the other links, sorry for the trouble, sir!

Interesting.  I took the info from your post, searched in the Library and got here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=9988&Itemid=2

Fig 16 is on page 9 of 34!

The BSPs usually don't provide construction details, only info that's relevant to the installer.

Perhaps someone who has a 172B can photograph it and provide the dimensions.

unbeldi

Just read this thread for the first time...  I do have one of each of the backboards, the 172A, 172B, and 172C.

By my measurement, the dimensions are:

Model No. Height Width ThicknessMaterialCorners
172A105-5/80-9/16woodround
172B10-1/16 5-11/160-11/16woodsharp
172C105-9/160-7/16plasticround

Pics of 172 A and B next to each other.
My 172B is actually a 172B-57 (Mediterranean Blue) that was later on the wall over-painted black.

Pictures are in 300 dpi resolution. with the above dimensions it should be possible to place the holes fairly accurately. Perhaps I'll measure them by hand some time.
My 172C is mounted on a stand, have no pics currently.

These pictures show more differences than just hole location.  For example the corners are either round or sharp, and the groove in the back is square vs. rounded.

paul-f

Quote from: unbeldi on September 11, 2013, 05:17:07 PM

PS: sorry the table columns don't align very well here... copied from my collection wiki.

Thanks for the info.

Here is your table after clicking on the Preformatted text icon and adding a few strategic spaces.

By my measurement, the dimensions are:

Model No.    Height      Width     Thickness  Material    Corners
172A         10          5-5/8     0-9/16     wood        round
172B         10-1/16     5-11/16   0-11/16    wood        sharp
172C         10          5-9/16    0-7/16     plastic     round

unbeldi

Quote from: paul-f on September 11, 2013, 05:46:48 PM

Here is your table after clicking on the Preformatted text icon and adding a few strategic spaces.

Ok, yes.... I should have thunk so too, lol.   Just was in a hurry earlier...

Ok, changed to forum table format.... although I do like your fixed width font version better

WEBellSystemChristian

I thought I would revive this thread by showing off my current collection of soft 554s!

The first one is an all-dates-matching October 1956 Satin Switchhook model. It recently came to me covered in dark blue spray paint. I bought it on impulse a couple weeks ago because I thought the housing was Mediterranean Blue. It showed up with the paint covering tape residue, hair, and even dust  :-[ I decided I would get my money's worth by restoring it to original condition. I removed the paint with Easy Off oven cleaner (I didn't have any of my trusty Super Clean at the time), gave it a quick wetsanding, and then gave it a nice polish. Looks pretty nice now!
(Previous topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12756.msg133974#msg133974)

The next one is mostly dates-matching 1957, with a shiny chrome switchhook. Not much of a story with this one,  think I got it for free awhile ago. It polished up well, and makes a nice addition to my collection.

This all-1958 white 554 I'm very proud of, just because of the fantastic deal I got on it. I found it for $25 BiN last year, and I believe this one was never used. There is no fading of any kind on it, nor are there any wear marks. It was covered in mold when I received it, but it just needed to be cleaned off and polished!

The one after that is, again, dates-matching from 1958. This red one I received yesterday prompted me to show my 554s,  just because it's so nice looking! Like the white one, it needed a quick polish, and it looks pretty good!

The newest softie I have is a light grey that has a chassis date from 8-59, but has plastics ranging from 3-58 to 6-59. All of the plastics are light grey, but they were painted over because they were faded from Nicotine smoke. Also, someone notched a hole in the top right corner for a line cord exit. I really had the clean this one up, but it looks nice now!

I'm really proud of my 554 collection, and I hope I find some more nice ones in the future!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

baldopeacock

Nice shine on those, Christian.   They look great.

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

jsowers

Christian, that's a great collection of 554s and you did a great job on the refinishing. Did you see the yellow 554 that sold recently for $60 plus shipping? It was from 3-57 and a great example. The picture is attached below for posterity. Not a terribly bad price for a fairly rare color, but not cheap either. Did anyone here get it? Looks like all it needed was an open center fingerwheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371162764620

Do you have a good way to display all your 554s? They're not easy to display without being wall mounted. Mine are still leaning against a bottom shelf with their underside on the carpet. One day Dennis, I hope, will post a picture of his 554 display, if he hasn't already. As always with our collections and displays, it's a work in progress. I don't think any one of us on the Forum has all the 554 colors yet, so don't feel bad about it being incomplete.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Christian, you have a great start on your soft plastic 554 collection!  That White one was a lucky find indeed.  That color eluded me for a long time.  I ended up paying way too much for one early on as a "place-keeper" until I found a nicer one.  I got lucky a year or so ago and found two, within a few weeks or so of each other on eBay.  Like yours, one appears to have never been mounted before.

Your Red one is also very nice.  Looks mint in the photo.  Light Gray is also a difficult color to find in these soft plastic models.  It's fun to try and get all the colors.  With patience, you will.  I am still looking for that elusive Dark Gray 554 (if anyone happens to have one they want to part with.........I didn't think so). 

I'm glad you added to this thread.  Not everyone collects the 554's so that leaves more for the rest of us!  Early on in this thread there is a photo of my 554's that I took some time ago.  I'll get an updated photo here later in the day.  Jonathan has posted photos of his collection here too.  A real nice group of phones, including Dark Gray.

Congrats on your collection.  You should be proud of them!

~Dennis

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on October 18, 2014, 02:41:39 PM
Christian, that's a great collection of 554s and you did a great job on the refinishing. Did you see the yellow 554 that sold recently for $60 plus shipping? It was from 3-57 and a great example. The picture is attached below for posterity. Not a terribly bad price for a fairly rare color, but not cheap either. Did anyone here get it? Looks like all it needed was an open center fingerwheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371162764620

Do you have a good way to display all your 554s? They're not easy to display without being wall mounted. Mine are still leaning against a bottom shelf with their underside on the carpet. One day Dennis, I hope, will post a picture of his 554 display, if he hasn't already. As always with our collections and displays, it's a work in progress. I don't think any one of us on the Forum has all the 554 colors yet, so don't feel bad about it being incomplete.
I tried to put a bid in on that for $21, but it went higher than I expected, and I bet it had a higher max bid that that!

I haven't yet, but I plan on building display "brackets", for the lack of a better term, that Unbeldi uses for his wall phones. This is what the ones he has look like:
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 18, 2014, 03:17:07 PM
Christian, you have a great start on your soft plastic 554 collection!  That White one was a lucky find indeed.  That color eluded me for a long time.  I ended up paying way too much for one early on as a "place-keeper" until I found a nicer one.  I got lucky a year or so ago and found two, within a few weeks or so of each other on eBay.  Like yours, one appears to have never been mounted before.

Your Red one is also very nice.  Looks mint in the photo.  Light Gray is also a difficult color to find in these soft plastic models.  It's fun to try and get all the colors.  With patience, you will.  I am still looking for that elusive Dark Gray 554 (if anyone happens to have one they want to part with.........I didn't think so). 

I'm glad you added to this thread.  Not everyone collects the 554's so that leaves more for the rest of us!  Early on in this thread there is a photo of my 554's that I took some time ago.  I'll get an updated photo here later in the day.  Jonathan has posted photos of his collection here too.  A real nice group of phones, including Dark Gray.

Congrats on your collection.  You should be proud of them!

~Dennis
Thanks! I didn't used to collect 554s, because they're just so hard to display. When I bought that white one, I decided that I wanted to start collecting them, but I'm limiting myself to only models before 1960.

In person, the white one is much more pristine, and looks true white. For whatever reason, the picture makes it look yellow, but when it's sitting on display, it's a much more intense white.
Christian Petterson