News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two-Tone Colored WECo 500 Telephones

Started by Jester, February 28, 2010, 11:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

The link could be shorter but it isn't one of the ones that wrap over three lines! Cut off the ? and everything after it in this example.

$50 seems quite reasonable to me for it if it turns out to be an original two-tone which I think it will.

Terry

Gilas

I saw that listed and talked to him a bit. I asked him if there were numbers in the housing that would show a soft plastic and he couldn't find any. Hopefully he was wrong and you got one.   Let us know and crossing my fingers for ya

Mike

AE40FAN

Well, gambling has never been my thing.  All dates match 1956 with the exception of the yellow housing which is from 1972.  I knew as soon as I touched it that it wasn't soft plastic.  Oh well, parts phone it is.  Interesting that the yellow housing is from 1972 and the bell systems logo is still square not rounded.

Tom B

Tough luck with that one - that's the trouble with buying online without having the chance to examine the piece hands on. Better luck next time.
Tom

AE_Collector

It still will display well while you collect other colored two-tones!

Terry

LarryInMichigan

From the listing pictures, it appeared that the shell was thinner than a soft plastic shell.

Larry

AE40FAN

Actually Terry, for some reason it just doesn't look right.  I can't even salvage the straight handset cord as there is a really bad break that goes almost all the way through!  On a positive note I just snagged what seems to be a NOS 1962 all matching dates white (no fade) 500 for 35 bucks including shipping.  Only damage is some rust on one of the feet.   

baldopeacock

This thread documents at least one early 500 in red with a black dial, but with red handset.

Does anyone know if any of the other colors went out with just a black dial?   I think I've seen one Oxford Gray mentioned here before, possibly.   Has anyone seen a Mediterranean Blue with black dial, but a blue handset?

Dennis Markham

There has been a lot written on the "two-tone" sets and the "black-dial" sets.  Check out one of those links here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2249.15

You will see pages from a booklet illustrating those phones.

jsowers

Quote from: baldopeacock on July 24, 2013, 12:31:50 PM
This thread documents at least one early 500 in red with a black dial, but with red handset.

Does anyone know if any of the other colors went out with just a black dial?   I think I've seen one Oxford Gray mentioned here before, possibly.   Has anyone seen a Mediterranean Blue with black dial, but a blue handset?

The first "full color" sets in red, yellow, dark blue and dark gray had black dials. They also had dark gray cords and color housings and handsets. There were actually three tones if you count the cords. This was the case until very early 1955 when the dials started matching for all "full color" sets.

In case you didn't see it in the link Dennis posted, here is the first page of that thread with the sets you mentioned.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2249.0

Farther down on the page you can see what were called "two-tone" sets and they have black handsets, cords and dials, with color housings only.

I hope this clears up the confusion. You're not the only one who has questions about these early phones. They're not easy to find and to the untrained eye they look like someone replaced the dial with a black one.
Jonathan

JorgeAmely

... snip ...   I think I've seen one Oxford Gray mentioned here before, possibly. ... snip ...

This one perhaps ...?
Jorge

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

On the two tones, I had a two tone brown 500 set that I sold awhile back. I do not see it on any of these lists. Was it not really a two tone. Went for a good chuck of change....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 26, 2013, 10:39:32 AM
... snip ...   I think I've seen one Oxford Gray mentioned here before, possibly. ... snip ...

This one perhaps ...?

If I am reading this right, the gray 500 shown above is not a 2-tone, but rather a "full color" gray 500 manufactured before gray number plates were available; this is why it has a black dial but the housing, handset and cords are gray.

A 2-tone set is all black except for the housing. The handset, cords and dial are all black.

Is this correct?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Yes.  For more background, including a BSP extract showing the full color sets with black dials, please read the May 2009 issue of Singing Wires.  TCI members can find it in the Members' Area on the club site.

It is also offered as a "free sample" to all at this address.

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/JournalsSamples/samples.htm

Note that the Issue and Bonus pages (with additional background) are separate downloads.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line