News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two-Tone Colored WECo 500 Telephones

Started by Jester, February 28, 2010, 11:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Josh, it could just be my monitor, but that sure looks like an Ivory housing, not white.  White was made in soft plastic, but not in 1952.  White was released in 1957.  Were you able to find a date inside the housing?f  It's either printed along the front inside edge as Larry said, or the later ones had a circle with the date inside as Harry suggested.  Two-tone sets had clear plungers. 

Check out this posting for a brochure showing the two-tone sets and the "black dial" sets that had handsets matching the housing color.  Only the dial bezel was black.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2249.0

guitar1580

Thx Dennis.  That's a great brochure explaining the color schemes.  Mine looks like the one on pg. 8  & 9, "black and a color".

You are correct that mine definitely looks ivory.  I guess I called it white because I thought it had yellowed.  And it is definitely soft plastic.

Housing dated '56, handset '59, base '52.

Thx for the help, I learned something new.
JP

rp2813

The handset cord is definitely the newest component on your phone.  The tapered reinforcement where it enters the handset was used from the mid-60's at the earliest up until everything went modular. 

As mentioned above, there should be a two-digit date stamped into the metal cord restraint at one end.  It might take a magnifying glass and good lighting to see it.
Ralph

RotarDad

I have recently registered and this is my first post.  I have been reading this forum extensively for about a year and have learned a lot!  Thank you!!  Anyway, I just saw this new listing on Ebay - item 280621943258   Is this a Med. Blue with a replacement black dial or a real two-tone?  It's dated 8/54.  The blue looks a little strange also.  I haven't learned how to post a pic yet - perhaps someone can post one.  Thanks.

Paul
Paul

HarrySmith

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum.
It may be. I have asked for a few more pictures, we will see what the seller says.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotarDad

Thank you, Harry.  I've been trying to learn as much as I can about the WE500 - that's what I remember as a kid.  With this one, I would think we might want to know what the code is on the back of the dial, and maybe other dates on the plastics - if they are later (like '56) then we'll know it was altered.  Do you know if WE used the "7C-XX" on the two-tone black dials or were they 7D?  Paul
Paul

Dennis Markham

It does look like a Mediterranean Blue 500 that has had the dial replaced.  It looks like a #9 dial assembly to me.  I can't really tell.  The finger stop opening looks narrow, which would indicate a #9 dial and bezel.  This color was released with a black dial but I think the handset cord would have been a straight cord, as seen in this booklet.  These "two-tone" and "black dial" sets have been discussed a few times on the forum.  A little searching should reveal more.

Notice that the finger wheels on the originals were black metal.  This one looks like a hard center plastic wheel.  I think that whole dial assembly has been replaced.

RotarDad

Thanks for the additional info, Dennis.  I took another close look at the dial, and I believe you are right.  I don't see that extra part of the dial casting inside the finger stop.  That's too bad - it will be just about impossible to find a replacement blue dial bezel.  Maybe someone will put a 7D in there and keep the two-tone idea.  Paul
Paul

JorgeAmely

I think that dial is a 9C. Notice the thin finger stop. Compare it to the stop in the attached picture.
Jorge

HarrySmith

I got a reply from the seller and he posted 3 more pictures. Definetly Med. Blue on the inside and definetly the wrong dial.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

To clear up a couple things about this phone...

Coil cords were always an option from 1954-56. So it could have either a straight or coiled handset cord. Either one is correct.

The replacement dial you need is a black 7-type dial from 8-54 with a black metal fingerwheel.

This phone is not considered a two-tone. A two-tone would have a black handset, black dial with metal fingerwheel and black cords with a color housing. The housing is the only part in color on a two-tone. If you want to call it something, call it a "three-tone," since it has a dark blue housing and handset, black dial and dark gray cords. I call it a "black dial model." They were only made this way in 1953-54 and maybe early 1955. The early ads (see Dennis' post) bear this out.

Auction picture posted below, FYI. As you can see, it is also a bit faded and needs both dark gray cords replaced. The coil cord could possibly be repaired, but the seller says "breaks" so it's hard to say.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Quote from: jsowers on January 28, 2011, 09:08:06 AM
To clear up a couple things about this phone...

Coil cords were always an option from 1954-56. So it could have either a straight or coiled handset cord. Either one is correct.

The replacement dial you need is a black 7-type dial from 8-54 with a black metal fingerwheel.

This phone is not considered a two-tone. A two-tone would have a black handset, black dial with metal fingerwheel and black cords with a color housing. The housing is the only part in color on a two-tone. If you want to call it something, call it a "three-tone," since it has a dark blue housing and handset, black dial and dark gray cords. I call it a "black dial model." They were only made this way in 1953-54 and maybe early 1955. The early ads (see Dennis' post) bear this out.

Auction picture posted below, FYI. As you can see, it is also a bit faded and needs both dark gray cords replaced. The coil cord could possibly be repaired, but the seller says "breaks" so it's hard to say.
If you are the lucky winner and need a replacement dial for a two toned. I have a Black  10/54 (close, but not 8/54) that I am ready to trash. Let me know if you need it....Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

This one went for around $50, which seems like someone got a deal.   Anyone here?

AE_Collector

Quote from: baldopeacock on February 07, 2011, 09:51:50 AM
This one went for around $50, which seems like someone got a deal.   Anyone here?

The 1st, 2nd & 3rd runners up are easily identified but I have nothing on the winner.

Terry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: baldopeacock on February 07, 2011, 09:51:50 AM

I agree,
It should be worth $50.00 + S&H.

JIm
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.