News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two-Tone Colored WECo 500 Telephones

Started by Jester, February 28, 2010, 11:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I was hoping this wasn't green. I was right. The sticker removal under the cradle was helpful. I wonder how many of these survived totally unchanged? Cord, housing, everything dates 1955.

http://tinyurl.com/3qjlyja

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Nice phone, Dan.  You should be able to dress it up with some sanding.  When you get some time it would be nice to see some photos under the hood.

Here's the eBay photo.

LarryInMichigan

Good catch!  I have been looking for one of those.  Blue is my favorite color. 

Larry

Dan

Thanks Dennis and Larry. I am a little  affraid of sanding and might try Novus 2 first. Hopefully it is just from a smokers house. I'll get you some post cleaning photos.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 29, 2011, 10:16:59 PM
Good catch!  I have been looking for one of those.  Blue is my favorite color. 

Larry

A nice blue just went for big bucks. The seller thought it was green, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110733470054?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

JorgeAmely

Congratulations Dan. First time I see a real Mediterranean Blue two tone phone. Light sanding is the perfect solution to bring it back.
Jorge

Dan

Jester

That is a fine catch, Dan!  I don't know how I missed that auction.  I know you're cautious with the peroxide, but I would consider this shell a candidate for some experimentation.  I'm sure there is something that will "erase" the greenish cast on that plastic.
Stephen

Dan

Thanks, I hate to sand because I don't know how to get the shiney finish back. I will try a little auto rubbing compound first . I LOVE novus 2 because it shines them up but fails on discoloration. Peroxide failed me on light blue, and  dark blue is too valuable and risky for me to experiment on.

We'll see how it goes.....

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on August 30, 2011, 10:56:29 PM
Thanks, I hate to sand because I don't know how to get the shiney finish back. I will try a little auto rubbing compound first . I LOVE novus 2 because it shines them up but fails on discoloration. Peroxide failed me on light blue, and  dark blue is too valuable and risky for me to experiment on.

We'll see how it goes.....

A lot of work and patience, especially if you're doing it by hand.  Using automotive sandpaper, start with 400, then move up to the next higher grit and sand in the opposite direction to the previous sanding until the lines from the previous sanding are gone, repeat the process up to 2000.  Yes, I agree, there's got to be a better way.  I've only been able to do that once, or rather, was only willing to do it once.  My last sanding project I used a detail sander and automotive rubbing compound and polisher, but it wasn't that bad to begin with and only on the handset.

See this thread: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1537.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Thanks for the info. It'd definately going to be a challenge for me.

JorgeAmely

You can send it to a pro also: Dennis or finlover.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Quote from: JorgeAmely on August 31, 2011, 10:31:02 AM
You can send it to a pro also: Dennis or finlover.

.....or Jorge Amely.

Dan

I am going to start on a salmon colored less valuable pink one first for sanding experience. If I ruin it, I will send the blue  along to one of you pros.

If it can look anywhere close to my avatar, I would be happy.

LarryInMichigan

Dan,

Use Micro-Mesh sanding sheets.  They will not make scratch marks like most sandpaper.

Larry