News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

This has been a most interesting thread.  I am so glad it is being discussed.  I liken it to an archaeological dig where D/P has discovered a new kind of dinosaur, and in a way he has.

Several posts ago, I believe someone asked a question about the handset that would have been used on the trial phone.  By the way there are many, many posts not only in this thread, but it seems that the whole forum has gone into hyperdrive recently.  It is getting harder and harder to keep up with everything.  That is a good sign, and I believe threads like this one keep a lot of interest going.

Now back to the handset.  Short answer is the G1 with the T1 transmitter and U1 receiver and 4 handset cord wires.

Some time ago, someone posted a pdf file that I read frequently that was a 1949  seminar/ press release by the Bell system on the development of the new 500 set.  The 425A network, along with the equalizer were specifically designed for the T1/U1 combination, and the 4-wire handst cord is also a product of that same development.  While this release was made post-trial period, the trial set that D/P has does have the 425A network and the equalizer, which is the whole point of the development of the new set.

At the risk of being redundant, here is another copy of that article.  It would be good "required" reading for anyone studying this thread, because of its relavance.

-Bill G

dencins

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 26, 2010, 02:53:08 PM
QuoteNow for the amazing thing I found out ALL 500's have the front feet point facing out, back feet point faces in.  Something I never realized before.

Gee, my 500s have been sitting here quietly all this time, and I didn't realize that the front and back feet face different directions.  The 302s are not like that.

Larry

This is the same for all the 500 riveted feet I have replaced.  The alignment holes on the base plate for the dimples on the footpad set the direction like the triangular bumps do for this one.

I believe the neoprene triangle pads are also this way but have never worked with them.  Obviously it does not matter on the round neoprene.

Dennis

dencins

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 26, 2010, 02:54:09 PM
Dennis;
Here is a diagram of the foot as needed.
D/P

Thanks

I will change the nuts tonight to 8-32 and work on the triangle.  It will be more of a rounded area since the Galion already has the circular depression.  You can use the footpads you have to determine the direction to mount.

I will make the mounting screws about 3/8" long.  This should keep the end of the screw below the leather cover. 

Dennis

Dan

The feet are this way (front in , back out) because they follow the lines of the housing above them ----want a rounded edge of the triangles to follow the edge of the base and housing.

The old five sided AE80 feet (plastic) have the elipitical rounded sides following the countour of the above housing too, and the three sided pointy area facing the inside.

I think if too much foot stuck out from the periphery of the phone, the corners could be more easily bent or knocked off.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

gpo706

Chassis is looking nicely cleaned D/P, and the clear body and plain black handset sounds mighty fine for exhibitions, I'd finish it off (just my personal opinion) with a screwed small brass plaque on the front of the case saying something like "Pre-production Western Electric 500 set - 1948, restored 2010"

Gonna look the business when your done, and its fantastic it works!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

GPO;
Believe me I'm  worked up about this.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 26, 2010, 03:02:57 PM
Several posts ago, I believe someone asked a question about the handset that would have been used on the trial phone.  Short answer is the G1 with the T1 transmitter and U1 receiver and 4 handset cord wires.
[/quote

I'm glad these points have been addressed.  One thing that sticks out on this set is how each single piece is "one of a kind", and at the same time the unit still "looks" like a 500, as all the special parts very closely resemble what most of us recognize as production components on regular 500's from 1950-2.  Because there are differences on the base, it is possible that the handset could also have subtle differences from 1950 & later handsets.  I don't think using a later G-1 would detract, though.  As Bill points out, it is perfectly compatible with the network & equalizer & the cord restraints will also work.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

Here is a link for the BSTJ 4/51

http://www.archive.org/stream/bellsystemtechni30amerrich#page/238/mode/2up

They article starts on page 239-270 on the page counter.

D/P I haven't read thru it yet, But I am sure you will want to.
(It has good photos). The set featured is newer than yours .
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Drew

I notice that on page 268 of the above link, 'Improved Telephone' by Ingolis and Tuffnell it states that the 50 units used in the field test models during the summer and fall of 1948, that approval of appearance and performance was sought. So the design of the 500's shell and the G1 handset existed in mid 1948, earlier then the 1949 date so often mentioned ?

Drew

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Drew on March 26, 2010, 07:27:13 PM
I notice that on page 268 of the above link, 'Improved Telephone' by Ingolis and Tuffnell it states that the 50 units used in the field test models during the summer and fall of 1948, that approval of appearance and performance was sought. So the design of the 500's shell and the G1 handset existed in mid 1948, earlier then the 1949 date so often mentioned ?

Drew

That is the elusive '48 sets, However, I have also read that the later '49 sets were the same models (no changes made).

If the #125 on D/P set is a serial# then his is probably a 1949 set.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

I'm still trying to get the Duct tape residue off of the bottom.
Here is what has not worked so far.

WD-40
Goo-Gone
Mineral Oil
Alcohol
naphtha
lighter Fluid
Butane
I have to be extremely careful of the markings on the bottom, so I'm only testing on isolated areas where no markings are even close.
I even Googled to remove dried Duct Tape Residue, they said Baby oil, that's just scented mineral oil correct??? No dice.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 26, 2010, 08:32:37 PM
I'm still trying to get the Duct tape residue off of the bottom.
Here is what has not worked so far.

WD-40
Goo-Gone
Mineral Oil
Alcohol
naphtha
lighter Fluid
Butane
I have to be extremely careful of the markings on the bottom, so I'm only testing on isolated areas where no markings are even close.
I even Googled to remove dried Duct Tape Residue, they said Baby oil, that's just scented mineral oil correct??? No dice.

D/P

Try citrus based adhesive remover. You can probable squeeze some citrus rind to get enough of a sample to try for experemental purposes. The spray I have uses propane as a propellant.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Here is the Bell system Technical Journal 4/51 article about the early 500 set.
"An Improved Telephone set".

I copied it into a seperate pdf file for my own purposes. I thought some other folks might prefer to have it as a seperate pdf  file.
The link is a yousenditlink.com link and is good for 7 days.

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/843571645/01cb06e6a57c54ad7831e3810604bafc

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Thanks for that Jim, a nice article and nice to have a copy.

bwanna

more tape removal suggestions

bug & tar remover
3m adhesive remover
de-solve-it
acetone
donna