"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 26, 2010, 09:45:58 PM
Thanks for that Jim, a nice article and nice to have a copy.

Your welcome Dennis,

There are some minor issues with the pdf I posted. I think I know where I screwed up. I am going to experiment a bit more and try to get rid of the crinkles.
If I can get a cleaner copy I will post a new link.
Jim (always proof b4 publishing  :o)
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dencins

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 26, 2010, 08:32:37 PM
I'm still trying to get the Duct tape residue off of the bottom.
Here is what has not worked so far.

WD-40
Goo-Gone
Mineral Oil
Alcohol
naphtha
lighter Fluid
Butane
I have to be extremely careful of the markings on the bottom, so I'm only testing on isolated areas where no markings are even close.
I even Googled to remove dried Duct Tape Residue, they said Baby oil, that's just scented mineral oil correct??? No dice.

D/P

If the glue has hardened you might try using a hair dryer to heat it up until soft.  Once soft you can use new duct tape to stick to it and lift it off.  The remaining glue can then be cleaned up by WD40.

Dennis

gpo706

Tape remover:

It's maybe a tad obvious but our local Maplins (think Radio Shack) has a can of stuff called "label remover".
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

McHeath

I read in a Bell Telephone Magazine article that the design of the G series handset was finalized in 1947.  Not sure if that's true of course, the magazine was written in the late 60's.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: gpo706 on March 26, 2010, 10:18:51 PM
Tape remover:

It's maybe a tad obvious but our local Maplins (think Radio Shack) has a can of stuff called "label remover".

Sandman.com has a lemon based tape and label remover. My understanding is that is also good for cord rejuvenation. I believe it is actually an arrow-magnolia product.
Citrus-base  adhesive remover products are surprisingly effective.

JMO,
Jim

You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: McHeath on March 26, 2010, 10:28:58 PM
I read in a Bell Telephone Magazine article that the design of the G series handset was finalized in 1947.  Not sure if that's true of course, the magazine was written in the late 60's.

The time frame makes sense to me.
I was trying to see if I could find a reference in "Events in telecommunications history".
I did find an interesting "tidbit" for the 5302 folks,
August 26, 1955. "Developements compleated to convert 300-type handsets to give most characteristics of 500-type" I suspect this means the GF handset is born.
I will keep looking for the G info.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

I think I have the residue licked....No I didn't lick it off, I used Q-Tips to apply WD-40, let it set for about 30 minutes. The residue was still hard. So Out of frustration I used the edge of a plastic ruler I have. 90% of the residue powdered of, and about 5% came off with more Q-Tips, and WD-40. I will continue to use Q-Tips and WD to finish it.
Here's a photo of the bottom after most of the residue is gone.
The brown toward the front is into the black paint, and will never come out, it may be able to be covered that's about the best I could expect.

Jim;

So consensus is the handset used here, was most likely a straight forward early G1 handset ? Or might it have been a G1 design with F1 elements ? Any thoughts That is what I thought might have been in the set.

Straight handset cord, heavy line cord, and soft shell 500 case. Black plungers. I wonder what the markings were at the back relief, below the handset carriage. Western Electric, Bell System, or maybe blank ? Any ideas ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

my computer was being worked on and I got lost is this an actual 1949 set
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
Most likely 1948 or 1949 Field Test set.
I won it on Ebay last weekend.
It was in sad shape as you can see. You have to read the entire thread a lot of very informative posts here. I've easily doubled my knowledge of 500 sets, and corrected many misconceptions I've had.

D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

I would leave it as is. The tape residue leftovers are part of the history of the set.

Jorge

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 26, 2010, 11:22:17 PM

So consensus is the handset used here, was most likely a straight forward early G1 handset ? Or might it have been a G1 design with F1 elements ? Any thoughts That is what I thought might have been in the set.

Straight handset cord, heavy line cord, and soft shell 500 case. Black plungers. I wonder what the markings were at the back relief, below the handset carriage. Western Electric, Bell System, or maybe blank ? Any ideas ?

D/P

The whole idea behind the 500 was to get the added gain by using the T1 transmitter, so it would not be the F1 transmitter or the GF  handset that the 5302 used.  Definitely an early G1 handset which was made of bakelite, and a 4-conductor straight handset cord.  I don't know if the trials used vinyl or rubber jackets. The 1949 article says vinyl, but that was describing the final product and not the trial version.  Yes, a heavy line cord, using 3 conductors.
-Bill G

Kenny C

I will later I am trying to get my reciver out of my handset it is stuck :P :-[ :-\
and i agree jorge
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
The chassis is pretty much all I'm going to do to it. I'll add the feet, dial, cords etc. but no more cleaning to the chassis. It's really nice the way it is right now, it has character, but yet it looks clean,
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 26, 2010, 11:22:17 PM
I think I have the residue licked....No I didn't lick it off, I used Q-Tips to apply WD-40, let it set for about 30 minutes. The residue was still hard. So Out of frustration I used the edge of a plastic ruler I have. (0% of the residue powdered of, and about 5% came off with more Q-Tips, and WD-40. I will continue to use Q-Tips and WD to finish it.
Here's a photo of the bottom after most of the residue is gone.

Jim;

D/P

D/P,

I assumed you realized it should be a pronged G1. ;D
Straight black rubber cord.  G-type elements. I think the elements probably have D#'s.
Trans cup is a clear flat base cup. Date stamp is probably as early as 1947,  Ideally your date should be 1st or second 1/4 of '49 on the handset and associated parts.  

Housing  and handset markings were probably none or "Western Electric" handset, "Bell or Western Electric" housing.

The cord might be tough because the proper cord is Gasketed for a G handset w/ a 49 date.  I would rather use a later gasketed G handset cord vs a 302 handset cord, I think that would be proper.

"Cheats" for this phone are quite acceptable. It will take you years to get the true "proper" parts.

The closet clear "proper " housing I think is going to be a 1958 soft 500 housing. these were almost always on F-53115 phone company Display 500's. These are high end sets.

They made lots of hardwire clear 500's in the '70's. most got notched and most of the notching caused a crack in at least 1 spot. There is a grey WE mousehole that fits a standard notch.

All of the above are just my opinions. I would check w/ Paul F. and see if he scan get you better details on the other set.
Jim

Regarding GF and 5302 sets. The 5302 is a recycled set not a transitional set. The 500 becames popular and everyone wanted the "new" phone.

They designed the 5302 to give the new "look" to 302's.

Jim

I just saw the clean base, It looks great. I agree with the other comments.
You live, You learn,

McHeath

Base looks great!  I could not even see the word "Loud" before.  Looks like no other numbers or date codes were revealed by removing the tape residue.  

You've done some good detective work on this phone, and from what you've said it does seem that someone may have used it recently.  Any response from the seller about the shell and handset, and where he found it?