News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

By the way, I think the unique dial mechanism has been the least talked about feature of this thread.  That dial is TRULY a prototype, the likes of which I have never seen.  The final 7A that my early 500 is the production version they came up with.  Your prototype model is quite elongated from side to side in the mechanism.
-Bill G

Craig T

The phone looks fantastic with those newly covered feet and a good wipe down. Excellent choice D/P. This phone is way out of my league, but I am sitting on the sidelines listening, learning and hoping I find the second one  :)

Dan/Panther

Craig;
That is exactly what I said to Dennis less than 2 months ago.

Bill;
Did Bell have their own color code system for resistors, from what I know, Black is 0, Red is 2, and violet is 7. Can you tell me how you get 100 with those colors ?
I would think with those colors it would be 7000, 72, 27, 270, 702, 207. Was maybe 100 average, and they put an exact value upon testing so maybe it's  actually 72 Ohm ?
I don't know for sure.
Once I get all of the parts for the dial together, I'll post more detailed photos, I've certainly never seen another dial even closely similar to this one.

Dennis;
He really does nice work.
I think what I'll do is place a small Ziploc baggy inside with a list of all persons that helped on the parts, and what parts they were. Maybe even some original photos.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

The ABS arrived today for the fingerwheel. I'm going to attempt to make one myself, if I can't then I will find a machinist to do it. My main concern is getting a good finish on the wheel.

Bill;
By the way, if you go back and find that I've corrected my terminology on Varistor Vs Thermistor etc. I just want the thread to be accurate. So as I'm corrected, I will go back, and change what I've written, I will note the changes.

D/P

Phonesrfun

Dan:

The color(s) on the resistor kind of baffle me too.  It is definitely a wire-wound resistor, which is the hallmark of that dog-bone shape.  The reason I called it a 100 ohm resistor in my earlier post is simply because the schematic of the Bell System announcement in the pdf file has it at 100 ohms.  I was at work and that is the only thing I had to go by from memory.  It is entirely possible that the prototype had a different value.  I am willing to be corrected on the exact value.  Normal color coding for a 100 ohm resistor would be brown-black-brown.  The red body with the black dot is puzzling.

Now that I am looking at the circuit in the Bell System technical Journal (BSTJ) article, it shows a 50 ohm resistor in series with the varistor.  50 ohms in standard color coding would be green-black-black, so I am now really baffled.

Probably the only way to know is to measure it with a DVM, but you have probably put it back together again, and I would not blame you for not wanting to go back into it.

I went back into mine, and there is no separate resistor.  Either they eliminated it in the production run, or they somehow built the resistance into the varistor properties.

By the way, you have done a marvelous job of making that into a real prize-winning phone.  It looks so nice now!
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Old wire wound resistor color codes.

According to this site:

http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/info/Componentinfo1.htm

The code is as follows, which uses the same colors as todays resistors.

The body is the first digit, which is red which is 2 -or-
Maybe it is orange, in which case would be 3....Hard to tell with my computer.

The end is the second digit, which is violet, which is 7
The spot in the middle is the multiplier which is black, which is no multiplier, just x1 (Or adding no zeroes to the end)

That would make the value 27 ohms, or 37 ohms depending on whether the body color is red or orange.

-Bill G

Jester

The old girl's cleaning up nicely! :D  I see you decided to mount the two original feet on the back & put Dennis' recovered feet on the front.  Good call--it looks like the best way to mount the North feet on your base without calling attention to them.
Stephen

Dan/Panther

Bill;
I hope I didn't come across a being uppity, I just wasn't sure myself if it was even a resistor.
I did however mention 27 ohms as one possibility.
Thank you for the very kind words of encouragement.

Jester;
A certain degree of thought went into which feet would go where. I'm surprised anyone caught it that quickly.
So what was my reasoning ?
D/P

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 01, 2010, 11:01:55 PM
Bill;
I hope I didn't come across a being uppity, I just wasn't sure myself if it was even a resistor.

Dan:

You should be ashamed of yourself coming on so uppity!  Downright unacceptable behavior!

<April Fools>  :)

Not at all!

I must admit that I was pretty baffled.  I don't often get into old radios.  I knew there are other forms of the color code out there, but there are some things that I just can't figgure out.

Really, though, this has been one of the most enjoyable topics to come around in a long time.  And, I think there is some true research going on here into history.

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
I hope so. I have always been partial to 302's but this baby is turning my head.
D/P

Once again, if anyone wants to ask any questions or have certain photo posted don't hesitate to ask.  I will get the dial up soon. it is without a doubt the strangest part of the phone.

gpo706

D/P the pic of the bottom or "arse" as we say here looks very promising.

Nice job, keep 'em coming.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

Quote from: gpo706 on April 01, 2010, 11:13:20 PM
D/P the pic of the bottom or "arse" as we say here looks very promising.

Nice job, keep 'em coming.

GPO;
Thank you. We call bottom the same here, just spell it differently.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Can anyone tell me the offset in degrees of the center of the fingerwheel?
I get 7 Degrees.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 01, 2010, 11:12:53 PM
Bill;
I hope so. I have always been partial to 302's but this baby is turning my head.
D/P

Once again, if anyone wants to ask any questions or have certain photo posted don't hesitate to ask.  I will get the dial up soon. it is without a doubt the strangest part of the phone.

That dial is well worth what you paid for the phone.

I suspect it is rarer than a WE #1 dial, Those sell for $1,000+
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Jim;
This dial is clean, and works as smooth as glass.
Once again, it seems to work very smoothly, as close to a Princess dial I've seen on any WE phone. I'm wondering why they took this fairly simple design, and actually added what seems like many parts. Maybe because it's so wide is what makes it appear to have fewer parts, but it sure seems to be a very uncomplicated design.
Of course after it's back together, I might find out it drop digits, left and right.

D/P