and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 24, 2010, 12:14:08 AM
Jim:

I have a 500 set with 302 feet. Another fine example of the phone company recycling old parts.

Iwas thinking that someone has a 1950 500 with 302 feet. I don't think that this would be recycling, but more early technology.

Does anyone have a 1950 500 w/ 302 feet?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

According to USPS tracking, the chassis is at my post office. I should be able to get it this afternoon.
I will post some photos A.S.A.P.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Some photos ....  ??? ??? ???, please, make that many high resolution photos!
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I don't have a photobucket account, and I'm not sure if I can post Hi Res photos to the forum.
I guess it's time I got photobucket.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 24, 2010, 02:12:52 PM
Jorge;
I don't have a photobucket account, and I'm not sure if I can post Hi Res photos to the forum.
I guess it's time I got photobucket.
D/P
Can you convert them to pdf and use yousendit.com  for downloading?
I am sure Doc Remco would like to host some hi Rez photos of this phone. It is a very historical set.
Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

D/P:

I suggest Google Picasa. You can upload high resolution pictures there and the interface is nicer.

The forum s/w is also a good way to post pictures. Just reply a few times if you want to include more than 6 pictures.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I signed up for Photobucket, now I'll try Picasa.

Jim;
Can I convert photos in Adobe reader?

D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 24, 2010, 02:29:26 PM

Jorge;
I signed up for Photobucket, now I'll try Picasa.

Jim;
Can I convert photos in Adobe reader?

D/P

D/P,
I don't think so.
Newer operating system have a convert to PDF option.
I have played with PDFill for converting files. It has several pieces of free software, I liked it so well I paid the $20 for the full version w/ lifetime upgrades.
Pdfill.com

With pdfill you would print the photo to pdfill to convert. Print is used as a transfer command.

Pdfill is nice software, I haven't taken the time to learn it yet.

Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

D/P:

I suggest you upload them to the forum, so they become a permanent record in the forum backups.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
That is what I'm going to do.

I now have possession of the beast.
It is in rough shape, but not real bad, It is kind of like a newborn baby, Not good looking but beautiful.
Here is my take on what I have.
I'm not an expert but based on the evidence, I say it is a field test phone. Not sure of the date, but consensus is that they were 1948.
There is no date , every part is individually numbered, by the number of times 125 appears on the chassis, my guess is it's number 125, there is however another number on the bottom, D177001, my guess that's a Bell labs inventory number.

The finger wheel is plastic, and quite thick, but a duplicate would be very easy to fabricate, and  be almost undetectable. The dial face is one part clear injection molded reversed painted.
The dial itself is numbered 132, and another number of D177008.
The ringer is of the Green clothe covering, Which seems to be Field test. The number on it is 124, and D177006.
Here are some photos for now.

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Dan.  One could study those photos for a while.  Will you be posting photos of the dial?  I'd be interested in seeing the back side of the dial....when you get time.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Absolutely I will be posting more photos. The dial is like none I've seen before, standard mounting but works are completely alien to me. I want to make absolutely certain how every piece comes apart, before I attempt to remove anything.
Here are 3 shots of the dial inplace. I'll remove it later. Notice plastic gears.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P, Dennis:

The dial in the picture could be a relative of the 7A dial.

North made a plastic wheel for their dials. It would be interesting to see if a North wheel could be retrofitted into this dial.

The network is interesting. The terminals plate overhangs the box containing all the electronic components.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Here are some shots of the dial off the phone. I will have to post twice.
I'm surprised at how relatively clean everything is under the dust.
Note the back plate of the dial is solid aluminum. The contact pile is solid also.
The dial seems very uncomplicated, even to earlier dials, and the later cheap dials. This looks like something they should have stuck with. The dial still turns and returns very smoothly.
D/P

Dan/Panther

And a couple more.
The finger stop is very different.
I'm going to remove the finger wheel and see how that's put together.
I love that, O/Operator/Z.
D/P