News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

No GPO everything fits like it should. When taking the shell off however, you have to maneuver if around a bit to clear the horizontal Line switch arms. I think this is why the design was changed.
I've seen many nice 500's but this is the best yet.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Gheez !!! I forgot to mention that these parts Jim sent are genuine 1950 Soft shell, and the proper hooked handset, with Cup, Transmitter amd receiver elements, also dated 1950.
Worth a small fortune themselves.

D/P

Dan

Dan/P what is the exact dates on the items? I wanted to see how well they matched up!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Dan on April 08, 2010, 08:23:00 PM
Dan/P what is the exact dates on the items? I wanted to see how well they matched up!

The shell is 12-14-50
The handset is 9-50
The Transmitter element is 9-50
The Receiver element is 10-3-50
All very close. I might add all are near mint condition.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Dan,
When I originally got it, the price sticker was compleate. As you saw, I pulled it halfway off (that was a couple of years ago).
I probably "quick" dusted the phone  2-3 times while I had it.

If I had won this phone, It would still look like the auction photo!

Glad you like the handset and housing , This has been a fun thread.

Jim Stettler.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 08, 2010, 08:33:18 PM
Quote from: Dan on April 08, 2010, 08:23:00 PM

The shell is 12-14-50
The handset is 9-50
The Transmitter element is 9-50
The Receiver element is 10-3-50
All very close. I might add all are near mint condition.
D/P

The caps are '55 tho.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

D/P,
Now that the phone is basically a compleate set, I am wondering how much does it weigh?
Most of the Parts appear to be on the "heavier-than-normal" side.
Jim
You live, You learn,

baldopeacock

Quote from: Jim S. on April 07, 2010, 10:33:42 PM
A while back someone was selling  more than a dozen  F# sets on Ebay. They were all from a telephone office display. They were princess phones and trimlines.
They all had F#'s. Some were gutless display sets and some had guts.
I didn't log the #'s.

The number F55835 appears on the bottom of one of those eBay sets, it's an aqua 2500 and dated 6-70.

rp2813

D/P, I have a 283B 4-prong plug if you think that's what your phone should have.  However, while the prong base is black, the outer cover is beige.  The cover could probably be painted brown if that's what it's supposed to look like.  I don't think these are all that hard to come by, but I'll send you mine if you want it. 

Awesome news on the 1950-dated parts from Jim S.  They have found their way to the right base!

Ralph
Ralph

gpo706

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 08, 2010, 08:12:49 PM
No GPO everything fits like it should. When taking the shell off however, you have to maneuver if around a bit to clear the horizontal Line switch arms. I think this is why the design was changed.
D/P

Yes Dan,

I was referring to my post about "dremmling" a disposable 500 shell for the cutaway type display.

Again, your discovery is coming along nicely, and its incredibly admirable you want to commemirate the folks involved.

It's amazing how helpful people are on this forum, rather than sliding into personal bickering, like a few forums I've been on.

I lok forward to the next installment.

Best,

Scot

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: gpo706 on April 08, 2010, 09:12:52 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 08, 2010, 08:12:49 PM
D/P

Yes Dan,

I was referring to my post about "dremmling" a disposable 500 shell for the cutaway type display.

Again, your discovery is coming along nicely, and its incredibly admirable you want to commemirate the folks involved.

It's amazing how helpful people are on this forum, rather than sliding into personal bickering, like a few forums I've been on.

I lok forward to the next installment.

Best,

Scot

Scot,
I am thinking that might be a good use for this soft '54 housing.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Cut out both sides, and the back, and glue in clear poly sheet.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 08, 2010, 09:51:43 PM
Cut out both sides, and the back, and glue in clear poly sheet.
D/P

I was just thinking cut out both sides, However, you have the talent to fit in the
poly sheet and make it look right.
It is 9-7-54. I have kept it around because even a damaged part has is uses as an experimental piece.

A lot of times I take things like this to shows for my "free" pile. I envisioned this  housing as a to practice piece for someone attempting chip  repair.
I think clear side panels would be a good compromise between the black/clear crowd. It would be an eyecatching way to display the set at a show.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

So D/P,
Are you up for it? It's your's for shipping if you want to give it a go.
Let me know,
Jim S.

You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Jim;
You've given more than enough on the project. I can't ask you to donate another shell.
You have my address, let me know how much shipping is...... :o
D/P