News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Can someone direct me to what was the proper dial card ring components.
Right now I have the brass dial card ring, with the round steel insert, and plastic protector. I'm thinking it may have been all brass.
Any ideas ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

After reading all the various ideas about the exact dating of this phone I'd still place my money on it being one of the 50 1948 field trail pre-production phones.  While the production model has quite a few differences, none of them seem to be revolutionary, the basic pattern is set in this phone.  A few tweaks to the factory tooling and shazam, the phone we all know and love emerges. 

paul-f

Number card holder evolution will be an interesting topic.  Looking for dates may be a challenge, as they were so easy to swap among dials made from the 1920s through 60s.

I believe you're correct that the oldest ones were all brass.  Off the top of my head, I recall several versions:

• Brass ring, brass circular insert and brass clamp.
  • Metal ring, circular insert and clamp. (All parts probably aluminum.)
  • Metal ring, one-piece insert/clamp.
  • Plastic ring, one-piece insert/clamp.

Since the same basic hardware was used on #2, #4, #5, #6 and #7 dials, my guess is that the transition from brass happened well before the #7 dial was introduced.  ISTR the one piece inserts coming well after 1950, so that suggests the following...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Paul;
Would they have been aluminum, or do you think maybe brass. I think they probably tried the aluminum ?

D/P

paul-f

I believe they were aluminum.

Dan

Hey Dan/P, did you ask the seller where he ever originally found the phone? I know you may not want to tip your hand and reveal to him the bargain treasure you received, but maybe there is an old barn with a box of these things and he just pulled one out of a pile!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

I just wrote him again.  He doesn't have any auctions up at the time.
D/P

Dan

Thanks, I really don't care if he has another one out there, I just wanted to know how he got this one in particular. This would be important in tracing the phone history.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

The other one has a funky housing, the handset is a bit different and it is clear. It isn't worth much tho because it doesn't have any dates. ;D
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

D/P:

Is it time for the first call yet?

Since the group has been so involved in the process, how about setting up a conference call using one of the free services so all can participate at the same time?  We could all dial in and after all is ready, you could hang up and dial in on the restored treasure.

It won't have the quality of a point to point POTS connection, but would be more of a shared event.

Phonesrfun

I'm game for a conference, subject to my availability.

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Consider that a done deal when I'm completely finished with then phone. Right now I still do not have a straight handset cord. I've been looking every day but no luck so far.
Right now I'm working on the dial protective cover, I should have a vacuum formed copy of the original today. The original was badly warped, when it was on, the gears hit. I tried to straighten, but only succeeded in cracking it a bit. I know that's sad, but it wouldn't work with it on the dial anyhow.

D/P

Phonesrfun

I will send Vern an e-mail and see if he has looked for a cord.
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on April 11, 2010, 04:11:37 PM
D/P:

Is it time for the first call yet?

Since the group has been so involved in the process, how about setting up a conference call using one of the free services so all can participate at the same time?  We could all dial in and after all is ready, you could hang up and dial in on the restored treasure.

It won't have the quality of a point to point POTS connection, but would be more of a shared event.
Interesting concept. Everyone could dig out an interesting phone (and post a photo)for the call. I could use my 1958 F#53115 (soft) transparent  500. (current holy grail of clear 500's).

It should get recorded as well.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Dan,
Have you thought about trying a PowerPointPresentation  about your phone? With current software it isn't to bad. You already have a lot of great photo's.

I bet your daughter would be able to do a powerpoint presentation in a short evening.
With luck you could get her to do it for for a class assignment. She would get a good grade, you would get a power point presentation.
Just a thought ,
Jim
You live, You learn,