and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Nope no cats here.
It's actually not close to the edge. It's in a spot not where normal traffic walks.
My kids know when they come in this room, it's touch nothing.

We missed the March of 1876 issue of the patent for the telephone to bell, the next major date would be July 10th, Ist transcontinental conversion.

Can anyone figure out the significant coincidence of this photo as it relates to today ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Bill;
I do hear a clickity-click in the receiver, soft but audible. Does that mean I should tear out the dial and put in another one ?
Or what else may be causing the problem, is it possible to damage anything the way it is.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

To check if the dial is doing its job, you could place a DVM across the white leads from the receiver and measure the resistance when you move the finger wheel from its rest position. It should be zero or very close to zero. When the dial rests, it should be a non zero value.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;

I will check the dial as soon as I get back from picking up the kids from school.

If it's not proper, what may be done to correct it, is it that the contacts are bent, misaligned ????
I have heard this before on another phone but can't recall which on it was.
D/P

Phonesrfun

Before doing anything, I would start with Jorge's suggestion to see if the shunt springs are doing their thing.

Definitely fixable.
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

D/P:

In 99.9% of the cases, some alcohol and a few Q tips will take care of the problem. I don't like to clean contacts with gritty materials because some contacts are plated with some fancy materials and you don't want to erode those away.
Jorge

McHeath

QuoteCan anyone figure out the significant coincidence of this photo as it relates to today ?

Titanic sank.  You have a poster for the ship on the back wall.  I know this arcane factoid because the ship hit the iceberg on my birthday and sank the next day.

Lincoln was also shot on my birthday and died the next day.

The Persians also burned Athens on my birthday.

Hmmm.... ;)

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
Correct.

Jorge;
the DVM shows 9.7 ohms at rest, when moved it shows about 1 ohm.
Which contacts are you speaking of the ones on the dial, or the line switch contacts ?
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

I am referring to the dial contacts.

I would clean the dial contacts with alcohol. To eliminate the resistance of the leads from the measurement, check how much resistance the meter sees when you short the test leads together. Then subtract that number from the measurements you made. About one ohm or less seems OK to me. I can check it with my 2-50 when I get home tonite.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

I asked Dennis if he would give me an estimate on making a pair of feet made from converted 500 riveted feet. I've been waiting for his quote so I could send him the money, as we weren't sure it would even work. Well I get another set of feet today in the mail, that corrected the problem, of the foot not protruding far enough past the edge of the case when the case was on the chassis. We had fit the old feet before the case was mounted and found the shape was just a little to flat for the 500 frame shape. New feet are absolutely perfect.

Dennis;
What a guy. Thanks a billion.  

As far as  some of the early 500 frames having been fitted with screwed on riveted style feet, we  know now  it is at least possible to make them.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Could it be possible that the EQ supresses this sound , and the EQ in my set is not functioning. If that is the case what damage can be done if any.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

My 2-50 with EQ has a faint clicking sound during dial release. A '55 500 also has a faint clicking sound during release. I think you are OK.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

I didn't think it mattered it is a very faint tick tick tick. So soft you can hardly hear it.
I agree, I think it's o.k. I know I've heard it many times before, but I can't recall which phone I heard it on ?
Thanks Jorge.
D/P

Phonesrfun

If it is faint, and you can hardly hear it then it is ok.  It would be a problem on the ears and detract from the functionality if it were a loud pop, pop, pop.

The dial shunt springs are there to short out the receiver during the dialing so that you do not hear the dial opening and closing the circuit.  No dial shunt springs are absolutely perfect, and there will be a slight amount of resistance between the contacts and the wires, and so it is common to hear a very slight tick, tick, tick.  Everyones description of such things are somewhat different, and the way we interpret the descriptions can be different too.

I sure did not mean to lead you into believing that a slight sound was something to be concerned about, so my appologies.  What I was referring to originally was loud pops and loud clicks.

Sounds like it is raring to go, and it sounds like you have hit a homer when it comes to that phone.  Congratulations, Dan!

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 15, 2010, 07:22:32 PM
I asked Dennis if he would give me an estimate on making a pair of feet made from converted 500 riveted feet. I've been waiting for his quote so I could send him the money, as we weren't sure it would even work. Well I get another set of feet today in the mail, that corrected the problem, of the foot not protruding far enough past the edge of the case when the case was on the chassis. We had fit the old feet before the case was mounted and found the shape was just a little to flat for the 500 frame shape. New feet are absolutely perfect.

Dennis;
What a guy. Thanks a billion.  

As far as  some of the early 500 frames having been fitted with screwed on riveted style feet, we  know now  it is at least possible to make them.

D/P

I recently found a rebuilt 500 with 2 early riveted feet and 2 screwed on rubber feet. I also found a 5302 w/ 2 screw on rubber feet.
These were in the phone find I bought on Tuesday.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.