News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

D/P, I view each installment like a gripping drama I tune into every night.

Of course I'm not from the "right" side of the pond here, but can appreciate how much excitement this find is causing, its like industrial archaelogy.

And besides I love my 500's too!

As an aside, doesn't the ex Bell system companies keep much in the way of development designs or sets? Or was a lot of the paper and physical archive lost upon break-up?

Can't wait for the next episode, actually when you're done with it, this find and the story would merit its own website.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Jim Stettler

Here is a thread from bitso phone 5302.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1887.msg25484#msg25484

It is a message I posted when the subject of early 500's was on my mind.

Mc Heath posted this link for the press conference of the '49 set::
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/DocumentLibrary/WesternElectric/500-Set-Design-1949.pdf

There is a lot of good info on early 500 sets scattered in the 5302 thread.
A posting I find amusing is from D/P

My guess would be,  they knew where all the early 500's were, and were recalled for inspection and probably torn down.
JMHO.
D/P

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dencins

Quote from: Jim S. on March 25, 2010, 12:48:10 AM
Quote from: dencins on March 25, 2010, 12:45:12 AM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 24, 2010, 11:38:19 PM
Looks like a couple of 302 feet will work on that just fine.

I just compared the dimples on the 500 screw-on with the dimples on a 302 and they do not line up.  The 302 footpads will not sit flush on the 500 base plate.

Dennis
Do you think D/P would be able to thread rivet 500 feet to match?
Jim

Three problems with tapping a rivet type:

1.  The plate that would be tapped is only 0.030" thick and would barely get one turn.  It might be enough to hold but just marginally.  A 302 screw hole when blanked before tapping is extended and is close to 0.070".
2.  The rivet type plate is flat unlike the 302 which has a recess to allow the end of the screw to clear to not push into the leather.
3.  I just ran a 6-32 tap in a rivet plate and the hole is too big in diameter to get the full depth of the thread.  Not enough material to get a screw thread to grab.  It could be done but would need the next larger size screw to work.  Maybe a metric thread would work.

Dennis

Jim Stettler

Here is another forum link for the 1949 treasure map.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1910.msg25564#msg25564

D/P didn't follow the map, but I count his photos as the postings I requested.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

It is really baffling to me that they would go to all the trouble to copy almost exactly the 302 foot pad design, yet make them totally different as far as mounting goes. The 302 is more of a straight triangular shape, whereas the 500 pads are rounded on the inside edge.
Not compatible.
And a shame.
Dennis let me know what you would want for the pad, 3 is better than 2.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

I just read thru the thread I posted. It seems D/P had a lot of moral support on his quest. I sense a "Twilight Zone" theme to D/P's find.
Jim
You live, You learn,

dencins

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 25, 2010, 01:16:42 AM
It is really baffling to me that they would go to all the trouble to copy almost exactly the 302 foot pad design, yet make them totally different as far as mounting goes. The 302 is more of a straight triangular shape, whereas the 500 pads are rounded on the inside edge.
Not compatible.
And a shame.
D/P

Name and Address - I'll mail it to you.

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Jim;
It is almost spooky, Bwanna even said; "d/p should get the '49, as it would be his birthday phone".
I consider this phone to be close enough to satisfy that comment also.
I have spent the better part of my life collecting and enjoying vintage items, but his single item is heads and shoulders above all of the other items combined. I feel very, very, fortunate to have been able to obtain this phone. I wish I could share the feeling I have, when I look at it, an imagine what journey brought it where it is now.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dencins on March 25, 2010, 01:20:24 AM
Not compatible.
And a shame.
D/P

Dennis

That is a great donation to the cause, Dennis.
Hopefully someone can contribute #4.

As you can tell D/P, We are all excited for you. That is a truly historic find.
Jim

You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Reading thru my map, I realized you bought this from a seller in the city they were returned to. Therefore. you met the map's requirement. so the posting are quite valid. I was going to accept them anyway, but now I have to.  ;D

Jim
You live, You learn,

dencins

Quote from: Jim S. on March 25, 2010, 01:29:41 AM
Quote from: dencins on March 25, 2010, 01:20:24 AM
Not compatible.
And a shame.
D/P

Dennis

That is a great donation to the cause, Dennis.
Hopefully someone can contribute #4.

As you can tell D/P, We are all excited for you. That is a truly historic find.
Jim

Before we get too excited I just pulled apart the footpad I have and compared it to D/P picture and it is not a match.  The one I have has two dimples like a 302 but I went back to the picture of the base plate and there are no holes for dimples and the area around the mounting hole looks like a raised triangle shape.

This one will not work and because of the raised triangle area the rivet type will not work either.

Sorry folks.

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Thank you, when I get another one I will have you recover all 4. Mine may do, but yours will DO JUSTICE to the project.
Thanks anyhow Dennis, they will, show up.

D/P

Jim Stettler

Dennis,
Do you have an opinion on a modified foot? Is there a production foot that could be easily modified for a "place holder"?

Your foot may be for the '49 model. It isn't a far guess.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

dencins

Quote from: Jim S. on March 25, 2010, 01:45:43 AM
Dennis,
Do you have an opinion on a modified foot? Is there a production foot that could be easily modified for a "place holder"?

Your foot may be for the '49 model. It isn't a far guess.
JMO,
Jim

I will do some work on it tomorrow.  The one I have has a circular recess on the plate the fits against the base plate that is about 1/2" in diameter.  This should fit over the raised triangle.  I will press out the dimples so it fits flat. 

I compared it to a 500 leather footpad and it is the same shape but a little higher (0.270").  This may work as an interim until the originals are found.

I think the one I have maybe some type of Galion other than a 7H6.  If it works maybe one of those can be found for the fourth corner.  At least it will be better than going barefoot.

Dennis

Jim Stettler

4 matching non-original screw feet might be a good route to go for displaying the phone. The original feet could be displayed next to it with a "wanted" sign.

Just a thought.
Jim
You live, You learn,