News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strange Strowger Wall Phone

Started by Strowgerman, December 31, 2020, 05:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strowgerman

I acquired this Strowger Wall Phone a while ago from a storage auction and just got around to opening more of the locker's Boxes.
I tried to research it and found lots of images and info for the later dial wall Strowgers however I could only find one image of this Phone.
The image was from a museum and all it said was "Strowger Early Dial Wall Type Telephone (1897 and after)"
Can anyone give me any more information as to what it might be and why there is so little information available?
I pictured several receivers that were in the same box however I don't know if any of them pertain to the Strowger     
Thanking you in advance. Strowgerman

Doug Rose

Only info, I can give you is what you already know.....that is one fantastic Strowger.

I have never seen that dial.

Are the receivers marked?....congrats....great find.

Just in time for the find out the month!!....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Strowgerman on December 31, 2020, 05:00:37 PM
I acquired this Strowger Wall Phone a while ago from a storage auction and just got around to opening more of the locker's Boxes...

I  am curious to know how long you have had this?

Any more unopened boxes? What is the history of the locker?

Could you also attach a screenshot the museum info and image you found. And also a photo of the rear of your phone.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

WOW :o
What a fantastic find. If you try one of the phone clubs, ATCA or TCI you may get more info there. Congrats and welcome.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Congratulations!

There's some info here:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=Chapius+Strowger

https://telephonecollecting.org/Bobs%20phones/Pages/Automatic%20Electric/Automatic%20Electric.html

It's also worth looking in Ron Knappen's books and US Patent 597062, 1898 - Calling_Device_for_Tel_Exchange - Keith & Erickson.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Strowgerman

Answers to some of the questions I received.
The site for the museum's Strowger image is
https://www.angelo.edu/community/west-texas-collection/museum-of-telephony/early-communications-1870-1900.php
I did not find any markings on the receivers.
There were several gray paystations from the same auction that I have been selling on my ebay (jimneuff) store
There are several more boxes of candlesticks and a few boxes of wood and metal wall phones.
Also about 45 old metal ringer boxes however there is very little rotary phone items.
The majority of the items are Stromberg Carlson but I am still opening boxes.
I will post a few more pictures
I was told that the items were from the estate of one of the original owners of a small local telephone company.

Jack Ryan

I don't know exactly where that phone fits as there were a lot of changes happening then.

It is after 1897 as that was when the friction governor replaced the mercury dash-pot of the previous model.

It is before 1899 when the same governor was used but the switch hook was integrated with the dial.

Some changes have been made to your phone and a lot of wiring is missing. None of those receivers look correct but they might have been supplied by a different contractor.

That phone was often part of a three box wall phone where a long pole was common and a transmitter on an arm was mounted on the back-board above this cabinet. It was also used by itself with (sometimes) a pony type receiver and a transmitter mounted on the top of the cabinet. A later version was also mounted on a floor standing pedestal or a table standing pedestal creating the first of the "candlestick" telephones.

Regards
Jack

magicbrain

What a find - Appears to be a match to the 1897 desk set (minus the stand) pictured in the "Strowger Automatic A Sixty Year Report" - See page 5

Bruce

Strowgerman

Thank you all for the informational replies.
You guys are the best.
I am so pleased that  I joined.
I would especially like to thank Bruce.
I believe he has found the answer to my main question.
The only other question is what is it worth if I decide to sell it?
Now all I have to do is search through all of the remaining cases and boxes looking for the stand.
Thanks again, Jim

Doug Rose

to find the phone's value, that is easy..... put it on eBay for .99.

My guess would go over 1K.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Strowgerman on January 01, 2021, 11:46:33 AM
The only other question is what is it worth if I decide to sell it?

Advertise it here on the CRPF 'for sale' section.

Or go with what Doug says. Hopefully a member here will have a chance win it when you put it up on eBay. Were the pay phone keys you have for sale part of the same locker?

Do remember to add photos of the contents of your other (telephony) locker auction boxes.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Strowgerman

Yes the pay phone keys I have for sale on ebay are part of the same locker