News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Candlestick with Hook Switch Arm on Right

Started by Doug Rose, April 16, 2021, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have seen a few in the past, always a Kellogg with the HKS arm on the right. Was this made this way?

WE are easy to turn around but the Kellogg's would take some work.

Anyone have any info on the HKS Arm on the right?

This is a beautiful stick I have had for years with the Brass and Grey metal that unfortunately was gutted and made into lamp.

Original receiver, this displays wonderfully...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Hey Doug.
That is a eye catcher.
The lack of extra flare, and what I spose is a mettle mouth piece, and that odd nut is it on the top,
suggest maybe a utilitarian purpose. So.
My uneducated guess would first lead to ignorant assembly.
However, I have learned not to stick to only one line of knowledge in this hobby.
So, knowing these folks did not just do something for giggles...I submit the following.
Being equal opportunity business back in the day, I think it may have been for a Left handed employee.
A southpaw would not have been able to use a normal phone, and be able to wright down what was being said to them at the same time.
Not to mention, that phone would do little more than **** off a right handed person. LOL :)

Jack Ryan

The left handed candlestick telephones that are not assembled incorrectly are generally made from microphone stands that had a PTT on the right side.

This one looks to have a brass tube replacing the composite/Bakelite tube on the shaft.

The mouthpiece was a metal reinforced one but the original composite/Bakelite "body" has been removed.

Perhaps all these changes were made when it was converted to a lamp.

Regards
Jack

Doug Rose

Thanks guys...everyone Phone Room needs a lamp  8) so this is now a lamp....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 16, 2021, 09:23:41 PM
Thanks guys...everyone Phone Room needs a lamp  8) so this is now a lamp....Doug

And a fine lamp it is too.

Regards
Jack

Witty

This would be one of the nicest phone lamps I've seen.
Ken

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jack Ryan on April 16, 2021, 08:47:14 PM
The left handed candlestick telephones that are not assembled incorrectly are generally made from microphone stands that had a PTT on the right side.

This one looks to have a brass tube replacing the composite/Bakelite tube on the shaft.

The mouthpiece was a metal reinforced one but the original composite/Bakelite "body" has been removed.

Perhaps all these changes were made when it was converted to a lamp.

Regards
Jack

thanks Jack...really good info on left handed hws arm, you answered a question that had bothered me for years....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Come on, don't turn this into a lamp and destroy it. 

Mike

RB

Ok, blew my theory right out of the water.
although I accept Jacks description, "I believe he is a wealth of knowledge",
I have a hard time believing someone would go to such lengths, just to make a lamp???
But, I guess if you had all the parts available, you could do anything you wanted.
And who ever it was that converted this one, did a bang up job of it!!!
That thing looks amazing!

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on April 17, 2021, 12:30:51 AM
Come on, don't turn this into a lamp and destroy it. 

Mike
this was already a lamp and I had removed all the lamp parts and plugged the knob. It was always there as you can see by the pictures. All I did was put a lamp attachment back on the knob, it can easily be removed.

It is empty inside.

Every Phone room needs a Lamp!...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 17, 2021, 08:33:23 AM
this was already a lamp and I had removed all the lamp parts and plugged the knob. It was always there as you can see by the pictures. All I did was put a lamp attachment back on the knob, it can easily be removed.

It is empty inside.

Every Phone room needs a Lamp!...Doug

I was wondering why I saw that black thing sticking out the top[ on some pictures and not on others. That explains it!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 17, 2021, 11:08:19 AM
I was wondering why I saw that black thing sticking out the top[ on some pictures and not on others. That explains it!

There were two different phones Harry.

Regards
Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RB on April 17, 2021, 03:52:37 AM
Ok, blew my theory right out of the water.
although I accept Jacks description, "I believe he is a wealth of knowledge",
I have a hard time believing someone would go to such lengths, just to make a lamp???
But, I guess if you had all the parts available, you could do anything you wanted.
And who ever it was that converted this one, did a bang up job of it!!!
That thing looks amazing!

I don't think it is very much trouble to go to for a lamp. Usually, the candlestick would be brassed out and some simple "repairs" would be made.

If the mouthpiece is falling apart or badly chipped, an expedient solution is to remove the remaining bodywork. I have attached two images - a mouthpiece that is pretty far gone and one that is stripped.

The covering of the shaft on Kellogg candlestick telephones and Grabaphones breaks with misuse. The broken covering is often removed and a decorative tubing is fitted in its place. In this case, it is plain tubing but other times fluted tubing is used giving rise to the very rare and highly desirable "fluted Kellogg candlestick".

Then we have the exceedingly rare left handed telephone that was made especially for Mr Kellogg when he retired - or some other story.

Several collectors have admitted that they converted microphones to left handed telephones and some of the examples that have been seen bear the part number of a microphone - often a signal corps microphone.

Several WE left handed candlesticks have appeared at shows and on the listservers that are marked "20DA". An image of a 20DA is attached.

Some people want your money so they create what they think you want.

OK, so I'm a sceptic.

Regards
Jack

RB

Ok, that clarifies a lot.
I can see that now.
Thanks Jack!
That's another wrinkle in my brain!