News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Made You Start Collecting Telephones?

Started by Doug Rose, June 06, 2010, 01:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
No matter what you do, you will want to go to the next higher high of collecting.
There is no end to this sickness, no cure for this malady.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 09, 2010, 11:38:13 PM
Jorge;
No matter what you do, you will want to go to the next higher high of collecting.
There is no end to this sickness, no cure for this malady.
D/P
Shush D/P,
You might scare him away.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

D/P:
Naaah, there must be a way out.

In the same manner there is Alcoholic Anonymous and eBay Anonymous, there must be Phone-aholic Anonymous.  ;D ;D ;D

See below:

http://www.aa.org
http://groups.ebay.com/forum/Ebay-Anonymous/Cover-Page/1500052015

Jorge

Dan/Panther

No Jorge, this is the HIV of Collectibles....
D/P

HarrySmith

There is no cure just progression!
After you get all colors of that model you will want all colors of another model!
We are doomed!! ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

;D ;D ;D Harry, you are not honoring your motto. You either do it or not do it.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

HarrySmith

I am doing it!! I have these things that get in the way sometimes, they are called bills!! Without them my collection would be much larger!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Your title of this thread is
"What Made You Start Collecting Telephones?"

Nothing made me start collecting, I was tricked into it. Somewhere along the line, I can't remember who, Said to me; "Go ahead and take the phone it's free." The first one was free....then you're hooked.
D/P

JimH

My grandma was having a garage sale when I was about twelve and had a metal, 1941 302 she was selling for a neighbor for a dollar.  I kept looking at it, and she said I could have it for free.  That was it.  Of course it didn't work, and was trashed inside.  Not having internet or any access to parts, I bought a cheap AE telephone at Perry Drugs and proceeded to switch all the parts from the new phone to the 302.  I know, unorthodox, but I didn't have any other option in 1977.  I remember studying the dial contacts and matching each one up from the new phone to the 302. I did it all myself, got it working, and I still have it today!
Jim H.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: JimH on June 10, 2010, 01:50:51 PM
...I bought a cheap AE telephone at Perry Drugs and proceeded to switch all the parts from the new phone to the 302 ...

An AE phone parts transplant to a WE302! That must qualify as a first in history (somewhere ...)  :o :o :o
Jorge

AdamAnt316

For me, it stemmed from a fascination with rotary dials. Growing up around pushbutton phones, I became intrigued with what'd been used before. The one rotary dial phone we had in the house was a turquoise Trimline phone, which sat (and still sits) in our basement. Eventually, I discovered that my grandfather had several rotary phones from the '50s and '60s, and I ended up with a turquoise Trimline phone of my own, which I managed to wire so that the dial lit up. Since this phone had probably taken the side route out of the Bell System, the ringer was disconnected; thanks to some members of the TCI mailing list, I was able to get it ringing again. Ever since, I've been scouring yard sales, flea markets, and the like looking for cool vintage phones. Naturally, most of them have rotary dials, but some of them are touchtone.
-Adam

bwanna

donna

Dan

I bought a princess at a yard sale for $2 (the guy said they were collectible) and I hooked her up after my cordless died . My mother in law had a simple white 500 with a G-6 handset and she gave it to me.  I then found Dennis' site and the rest was history.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on June 10, 2010, 06:43:51 PM
i for one do not want to be "cured"  ;D

Some people can't be cured no matter what their problem is.
D/P

bwanna

donna