News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Salesman Samples, Promos and other Miniature Telephones

Started by Dewdrop, October 16, 2010, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Thanks, guys, for posting these. I always wondered what went in the middle of the dial and you solved the mystery. I have two of these (and a third for parts) without the dial centers. The Jade green one had a light green handset when I got it. The red one had no handset at all. I eventually found another Jade green one with a missing fingerwheel and fingerstop that I borrowed a handset from.

So if anyone needs a light green AE80 promo handset or if they have a red AE promo handset they'd like to trade, I'd love to hear from them. See the two pictures below. I also had an underneath shot, FYI.

I've seen pictures in the local paper of things retirees from our local telco (an independent who used AE equipment almost exclusively) took with them when they retired and these little AE80 promos were highly valued by them. They don't seem to be nearly as plentiful as their 500 brethren.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

John:

You should be able to find that AE numbercard on the internet and reduce it in size for your little phones.

I'm assuming that these sample phones have dials that turn?? (I don't have any of these) If so, are they spring loaded but without a governor so they snap back into the proper position?

I wish I had a picture but 10 years ago I saw the opposite of these at one of our warehouses. A red 80 that was probably 4 feet long and just like these samples, it looked pretty realistic. It must have been on a parade float or something like that years ago.

Terry

jsowers

Quote from: ae_collector on December 01, 2010, 04:01:08 PM
You should be able to find that AE numbercard on the internet and reduce it in size for your little phones.

I'm assuming that these sample phones have dials that turn?? (I don't have any of these) If so, are they spring loaded but without a governor so they snap back into the proper position?

The card isn't the problem as much as the little silver retainer that goes around it and snaps into the fingerwheel.

The fingerwheels on mine don't move. They're just like the 500 promos in that respect.

Also, any of you who try to clean these, be very careful getting any water or anything on the letters around the dial. They rub off easily. A Q-tip with a dab of furniture polish or just slightly damp would be the best thing to clean out the dust. I noticed one of the blue ones had some of the triangles inside the fingerwheel holes to disappear.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Quote from: jsowers on December 01, 2010, 04:28:47 PM
I noticed one of the blue ones had some of the triangles inside the fingerwheel holes to disappear.

That is what led me to believe that the fingerwheels must move.

Terry

classicradios

I found this yesterday at an estate sale.  I just thought that you guys would like to see it.  Have you ever seen one before?  Date on the box is 1945.

Sargeguy

I have seen one, but it was not as nice nor did it have the box. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

The few I've seen have been well played with and are usually missing the fingerstops.  It's great that you found one with the box!

The FS on your set almost looks too big.  Is there any indication whether it's original or possibly replaced?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

classicradios

Thanks for the message. I'm sure the FS is original since it appears to be attached to the case using an eyelet/rivet.  I don't think that my set was ever used.  It's just too clean!

TelePlay

Dennis Markham

I have one of those in Ivory as well.  Not as nice or in the original box.  The finger stop on mine is matching plastic.  I thought we posted pictures of these in the past but I can't find the post now.

Dewdrop

Debbie

Dennis Markham

Russ Kirk

Quote from: classicradios on June 25, 2011, 02:25:22 PM
I found this yesterday at an estate sale.  I just thought that you guys would like to see it.  Have you ever seen one before?  Date on the box is 1945.

Cool phone! That's a new one to me.  But is now on  my gotta have list for my miniature phone / toy phone collection.

Gee,  I wonder if when one gives it food and water it will grow into a full size WE 302? <g>

Russ...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

sebbel

This looks like a salesman sample right?

http://tinyurl.com/6r9cosz
Seb.

LarryInMichigan

I believe that it is.  $20 is probably not a bad price for it either.

Larry