Lets see your 5302's guys and gals

Started by Kenny C, November 25, 2010, 03:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: masstel on November 25, 2010, 10:16:09 AM
Let's call that a 5302A.

As in, "A!  Is that a 5302?!"

:)

I was thinking it was a 5301 ..... as in "not quite a 5302"...

How is it all held together Doug? Why can't the round "lack of" number plate be put into the shell from the inside rather than sitting on the outside?

Terry

Adam

Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

paul-f

Model numbers for the 5300-series added a 5 to the model number of the donor 300-series set.
   http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#5300

A 5301 would be a set made from a 301.  Not likely.

A favorite of mine is the 5251.

Here are some photos showing various bottom stampings.  That's one of the most interesting features to me, as there didn't seem to be as much consistency as we are used to seeing from the Bell System.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Quote from: ae_collector on November 25, 2010, 08:22:22 PM
Quote from: masstel on November 25, 2010, 10:16:09 AM
Let's call that a 5302A.

As in, "A!  Is that a 5302?!"

:)

I was thinking it was a 5301 ..... as in "not quite a 5302"...

How is it all held together Doug? Why can't the round "lack of" number plate be put into the shell from the inside rather than sitting on the outside?

Terry
Terry....I never tried, but I think the rise is to gradual to fit it the hole. This is the way I found it and I'm really quite happy with it ....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

OK, here is one of my 5302's in my display of WE phones. I have several other black ones not pictured.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Here are a few more creative/questionable sets...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Wallphone

Paul, is that adapter ring listed in any of the BSP's (like 501-160-100)? I have one that looks like it on a SC 1543. I always considered that phone to be in the same category as the 5302. It mounts from inside the body and it is the same size as what would fit into a 500. There is no way that it would fit in a 5302. Doug, did you get to look inside to see how yours is mounted?

Doug Rose

Quote from: Wallphone on November 26, 2010, 06:34:46 PM
Paul, is that adapter ring listed in any of the BSP's (like 501-160-100)? I have one that looks like it on a SC 1543. I always considered that phone to be in the same category as the 5302. It mounts from inside the body and it is the same size as what would fit into a 500. There is no way that it would fit in a 5302. Doug, did you get to look inside to see how yours is mounted?
Doug...It is mounted with three screws in the holes that the number ring would mount to without the fork. A nice, unforced fit. It looks very similar to your SC mount without the rubber ring. Looks like you have solved the mystery. Its still a keeper. Man, what people did to to make a phone work! I paid $1 for it, so I don't think someone was trying to make a collectable for big bucks!!....other Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

Since 5302's are made from a mix of used and new parts, I always mention both the base plate date and the shell date when discussing them. Since they weren't built in the factory, you're gonna find all kinds of funny business out there. Here's mine, though, the one that really started me as a phone collector though I already had a couple of rotary phones. Base and coil from 1946, shell from 1-5-1960.

Kenny C

Great phone DW

The left plunger on mine sticks Does anyone know what could cause it?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Usually dirt causes it. 

Did you try taking them out and cleaning them? 

You would need to remove the three scres that hold the hookswitch and the hand-hold cover in place.  I would clean them with ordinary cleaner like 409.  Clean the inside where the plungers ride with some cleaner using Q-Tips.

-Bill G

Jester

Here's a shot of the light beige 5302 I won from John Huckeby last year.  The base & most of the internal parts are dated 1939 & the plastics, dial & handset elements are 1959.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Stephen.   Beautiful phone.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Jester

Since we're talking 5302's, who's going to show off their G/F handset?  All of mine are in pieces & aren't attached to a displayed phone.
Stephen