"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lets see your 5302's guys and gals

Started by Kenny C, November 25, 2010, 03:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: mdodds on April 09, 2015, 04:22:20 PM
I just started collecting again after about a 30 year hiatus and joined the board yesterday. Amongst my new finds is a 5302 I found on etsy for $15 plus $14 shipping. Looks to be in pretty fair condition....unfortunately has a G1 handset rather than an F1 though.
I usually collect AE and Stromberg Carlson but until I started cruising this board I had never even seen a 5302! It looked just funky enough to be interesting :)

Welcome!

Are you sure it is a true G1?  Or is it a GF?  They look identical, even the logo has the G1 designation in the handle, but the GF has F1 and HA1 elements, not T1 and U1, and the caps have a special mark in the center, F and H, respectively.

Here is a GF handset from a 1959 5302GR-3GF.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: mdodds on April 09, 2015, 04:22:20 PM
I just started collecting again after about a 30 year hiatus and joined the board yesterday. Amongst my new finds is a 5302 I found on etsy for $15 plus $14 shipping. Looks to be in pretty fair condition....unfortunately has a G1 handset rather than an F1 though.
I usually collect AE and Stromberg Carlson but until I started cruising this board I had never even seen a 5302! It looked just funky enough to be interesting :)

Welcome to the forum, sure am glad to have you here!

Nice 5302, sez I. 8)

When I first learned of them, I wanted one so badly I could almost taste it. You know the deal. I found one on ePay, with a G-type handset on it, with the intention of installing an F1 to get that 'funky' look that was the initial allure to the phone. Natch, right? ;)

During the brief time it took me to find an F1, was told by several that 5302's are somewhat less common with the G set vs. the F set, so I re-thought, kept my first one original, and bought another (rather homely ;) ) one with the F set. Win-win deal, as I see it; both stay as they were, preserving their originality.

I hope that you enjoy and utilize the forum, and your telephones, to their fullest.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

persido

Welcome to the forum, great looking 5302, the 5302 is my 2nd favorite phone, the 302 model is my favorite.

Scot

HarrySmith

Welcome!
You are an excellent example of the disease of Phoneitis. Even after a 30 year abstinence period the disease just picks right up. Do you recall why you stopped back then? Too many phones? Too much money spent on phones? Too much time spent on phones?
Our little asylum is the perfect place for all phone nuts ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mdodds

Well, the Phoneitis is a symptom of a larger issue of telephonyitis :) My first phone was a surplus Stromberg Carlson 1553 wall phone that I purchased in the late 60's from Olson or Burstein-Applebee (can't remember which) for $2 or 3. I was 12 or 13 at the time and desperately wanted an extension in my bedroom. It was all there, but all the cords had been cut and since I lived in a small town (this was before the Internet) I had no way to find a wiring diagram for it. I managed after a fashion to get things cobbled back together, and it worked :)
After high school etc. there was the impediment of having a job, kids etc. I morphed from being an electrician to a computer guy, and discovered the Asterisk VoIP pbx a few years ago, re-igniting the telephony bug. I have quite a few of those systems out there in production, and they can do some pretty cool stuff. Then I read a few weeks ago that some of the analog terminal adapters I use in my VoIP systems can accept pulse dialing, which led me to unearth a few of the old rotaries that I still had and the rest is history :)

andre_janew

As I understand it, Western Electric made an F-4 handset that uses the T1 and U1 elements and it looks like the F-1 handset.  While the F-4 probably wasn't used on the 5302, I can imagine someone could installing one on such a phone and thinking it was an F-1.

mdodds

Not sure about the handset yet (other than it obviously isn't an F1)since it hasn't arrived yet. I kinda hope it's a GF.

unbeldi

Quote from: mdodds on April 10, 2015, 05:12:31 PM
Not sure about the handset yet (other than it obviously isn't an F1)since it hasn't arrived yet. I kinda hope it's a GF.

Ah... you haven't got it yet.   It probably is a GF.

mdodds

Just checked tracking and it should be here tomorrow :)

mdodds

It's here :)
The photos are just as I removed it from the box. Standard G1 handset, no F adapters. Numbers inside the base appear to match (Dec. 1949). The base is stamped 5306G. The only other marking on the bottom is S654. Anyone know what the thing is that looks like a vacuum tube bolted on a bracket?

WEBellSystemChristian

That tube was for party line use. It's commonly found on 501s in the mid-'50s. I believe Jorge Amely stripped the paint off the glass of one on a 501, and wired it up so it would glow when the phone was in use. I forget how he did it, and I also forget what circumstances the tube would work under.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

mdodds

Naturally a search on the forum found lots of stuff about the tube.....reading up on it now :) Lots of cleaning to do, but overall it's in good shape for a phone I have $27 invested in!

paul-f

Another way to find info on a Western Electric phone is to look it up by model number and read the BSPs covering the phone.

In this case, check out the chart here for some BSP suggestions:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm

As a shortcut, the model number may be appended to the URL:
   http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#306
   http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#5306

Many BSPs can be found in the TCI Library
   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Did you remove a ringer gong or was it missing?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mdodds

Thanks for those links Paul!

Harry, that gong was gone when I got it.