News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lets see your 5302's guys and gals

Started by Kenny C, November 25, 2010, 03:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Finding a 5306 is not a common occurrence.  Nice.  I like phones with special flavor.

The electron tube was used to trigger the ringer in a way on party-lines with a special methodology of polarized ringing (interrupted DC essentially), so that each station could be specifically selected.  This provided fully selective service for four stations, and semi-selective signaling for eight parties.

Tube ringing telephones used a special low-impedance version ringer, the B3A ringer, having a DC resistance of approximately 2000 ohms, rather than the usual 4600 ohms of the the B1A ringer.

Polarized tube ringing had the advantage of reducing line imbalance, because the ringers were not constantly loading each side of the line. When not triggered by a voltage of at least 70 volts or so, they presented a very high impedance to the network and therefore no inductive noise or cross-talk problems.

I am trying to reason why this set would not have a GF handset.  Perhaps it was used in a zone where they actually needed the extra efficiency of the T1 and U1 elements.  I'll see if I can find another reason, or some information about other 5306 sets.

The 5306 set, when equipped with F1 and HA1 elements, is identical in performance to the 306 telephone.

HarrySmith

I thought so, looks like someone was trying to make it ring a little quieter, leaving only the muted gong. I would be interested in hearing how it sounds.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Please note the date stamped on the inside front edge of the housing.  This is either the housing manufacturing date or the assembly date of the phone. Which one it is, we really don't know for sure, but apparently some housings with stamps in the mid-60s or so have been found, by which date the assembly of 5300 sets had been discontinued.

Your set was assembled after that date in 1958, if I am reading it properly in the picture.   The dial seems to have been lubricated last in 56, if I am interpreting that stamp on the governor correctly.   Note that it was relabeled as a type 5M, because of the the special number plate that was used with them. Only the 5300s used the 5M dial.

mdodds

I haven't had a chance to power it up yet, but it looks pretty good. The only problems I have noticed so far are the dial is a little noisy (hopefully some toothpick applied light oil will fix that) and the cradle plungers stick a bit. That should correct itself when I disassemble the housing and clean it.
If I read the info on here about the 426A tube correctly it is essentially used as a steering diode, so it should conduct on one side of the AC ring voltage? It will be interesting to see if one of my ATA's is capable of ringing the phone.

unbeldi

An ATA should be capable of firing the tube.  In fact, it was just a couple weeks or so ago, that I tested a spare tube using an ATA.

The ringing power that modern superimposed AC ringing provides isn't exactly the intended mode of operation, but it should work in some fashion anyways since the tube acts as a rectifier in addition to being a switch.  You may have to swap the tip and ring leads if one way doesn't work, because of the DC bias on the line.

Here is the circuit diagram for a 306 telephone with the tube wired for grounded ringing.  Simply connect the GND terminal to TIP in this case.

The black lead into the tube is the operating anode that carries the current for the ringer, and passes it to the cathode with is the yellow wire. The red wire is connected to the starter anode, which is directly connected to one line side, in this case the TIP side (normally ground) of the central office line. A few µA of current are sufficient to provide enough ionization of the gas so that it breaks down into a a plasma which forms the conductive path between cathode and anode.

[original image replaced with link to 306 article]

mdodds

Another quick question: Is there supposed to be a return spring on the hookswitch or does it just use the tension of the switch itself? Mine has no external spring, and the return seems rather weak.

mdodds

And another thing :) What do you use to clean up the inside of the phone, such as the inductor, capacitor etc? This one is dusty and dirty inside.

mdodds

All back together.....smoke test later today.

edit: It's alive!  Works fine except for ringing, which was not unexpected considering it's a 5306. The 426A looks pretty cool when the ring voltage hits it though :)

WEBellSystemChristian

Here are my 5300-series sets.

The one on the left is a 1957 5302 on a 1950 302 chassis. I originally bought it from forum member 'benhutcherson' a year and a half ago. It had really deep scratches all over with pink paint splatters, but some wetsanding and polishing yesterday took care of that. I don't think coiled cords look good on a 5302 with an F1, so I added a straight cord.

The one on the right is a 1958 5304 on a 1949 chassis. I personally think 5302s like this one look better with G1 handsets over F1s, the opposite of what I used to think. This one also looks cool with that great original dial card!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Ed Morris

Here is my $10 WE5302G.  I was thinking of just using it for parts for a 302, but when I checked it out and found it worked pretty good, I decided to restore it.  At first I considered repairing the shell, but after looking at the deep scratches on the right side, and noting the thermoplastic was also broken where the dial sits, I gave that idea up.  Instead, I found a used body shell, which cost a bit more than the original phone.

I cleaned all the parts and coiled cord, and I made a new cover from clear acetate and a new dial card.

The handset is a G1 with F1 tx dated 12/37.  HA1 rcvr is dated July 7, 1948. 

The original body is dated June 4, 1958.  The replacement shell is dated August 1, 1961.
The baseplate is dated May, 1949
The B1A ringer is dated May, 1949
The 101A Network is dated November 1949
The 5M dial is dated September, 1950,
Ed

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on June 16, 2017, 03:36:21 PM
Here is my $10 WE5302G.  I was thinking of just using it for parts for a 302, but when I checked it out and found it worked pretty good, I decided to restore it.  At first I considered repairing the shell, but after looking at the deep scratches on the right side, and noting the thermoplastic was also broken where the dial sits, I gave that idea up.  Instead, I found a used body shell, which cost a bit more than the original phone.
Good that it has leather feet.  Some of mine have molded rubber, which have dried out and caused base plate corrosion.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AL_as_needed

Not as fun as, well...any color other than black, but a fun phone none the less. My "5301.9" assembled from a box of parts (.9 for homemade feet).

TWinbrook7

Ed Morris

It's a 5302A+!  You get extra credit for making your own feet.
Ed

N7LTH

I have a real fondness for the 5302s, probably because they weren't assembled in the normal fashion.

First one was also my first acquisition, an F1 handset/#5 dial.
Second one, also an F1/#5 dial.
Third, a GF handset/#5 dial.
Fourth, a GF handset/#6 dial.
Last but not least, a G handset/#6 dial.

I'm trying to collect all the different combinations of handsets & dials that they may have been equipped with. Just for fun.
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".