News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Passing on your Phone Collection discussion ...

Started by Babybearjs, November 23, 2011, 03:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 14, 2018, 06:06:15 PM
(Edited down)
A logical thing to do IMHO is to downsize in later years. ....... I would like to be down to maybe just a couple hundred that are truly my collection. That will be more than enough for family to deal with if and when something happens to me. (I'm 60)

I plan to do the same Terry.  I have a couple hundred in display in my home. When I get a new phone, one get packed up, usually a common set.   So in a year or two I will be selling some surplus phones either online or at a show. I don't want to have a storage problem later.

If something should happen to my wife and I at the same time we placed our collections in our Trust with instructions for my phones to go to a non-profit museum and my wife's collection to non-profit groups.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

Everyone keeps telling me "You can't take it with You."

Then I'm not going........
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

That sounds like some good planning Russ....and D/P too....great problem solver!

Even some basic instructions left will give those that have to deal with the collection some basic ground rules based on your wants.

Terry

markosjal

Anyone know of any local Museums to the Portland, Oregon Area?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

RDPipes

Quote from: markosjal on August 02, 2022, 04:31:18 AMAnyone know of any local Museums to the Portland, Oregon Area?

Yeah, The RDP Technology Museum of Clackamas County, they moved to East Texas
but will take anything from the 1800's to the mid 1950's.
If your interested I can give you his I mean their address to ship to.
Its all supported by donations and they'll make sure your acknowledged with a name plate for yours. ;D

markosjal

I am not ready to pass on my phones while I am alive. I am thinking about when I am gone as this thread suggests.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 24, 2011, 12:56:18 AMthanks guys! the problem that I have, as some of you might have seen before is family that doesnt care about personal effects after they leave. my dads estate was totally lost to "Stupid" people, my sisters... he had a whole shop of woodworking tools, HO scale trains, various antiques... all lost because no one cared.... to this day I don't know what happend because one of my sisters, who was a druggie, supposedly "lost" my dads effects... wonder how much stuff wound up in the pawn shop???? so, you can see my concern...    John
What a shame.  With her being a drug addict, I'm sure you know what happened to them.  Just hope that whoever bought them off of her knew the value of them.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 24, 2011, 01:45:26 AMWell, that is unfortunate, indeed. 

I have heard of that happening and it is really maddening, to say the least.  One thing I think happens is that one man's treasures are another's trash.  I really understand my hobby, but to some, it's just a collection of old junk.  It's too bad that others don't take the time to realize just what is involved. 

Of course the other issue is when there is someone who does as you describe and somehow "looses" the inheritance due to less than appropriate acts.

That happens to classic cars a lot too, sometimes even true Classics - upper case - the Japan lovers bring to Pick-N-Pull to be scrapped, no matter how wonderful they are.  So, if you are a car lover like me - REAL cars, not Datsuns and Toyotas -
check your local junk yards.  You might be surprised at what you see.

Mike