News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ATA adapter interferring with ISP connection

Started by Babybearjs, June 12, 2014, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I'm not sure where to start.... Phil sent me a ATA adapter that originally was sold by VONAGE.  it connects ok except when I have it inline with my computer is interferes with the connection... I go to startup my web browser and it comes back unable to connect to the homepage, or the connection is so slow that it times out. what settings do I need to have on my system to get this to work right. I'm on a Centurylink 20 GB DSL connection and the DSL modem is also the router... I have the computer connecter to the ata adapter which is connected to the DSL Modems 2nd. port...(total of 4) so, what do I have to do to get this thing working at full speed....Right now, the ata unit is offline....(I unplugged it from the router)  John
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 12, 2014, 01:49:21 PM
I'm not sure where to start.... Phil sent me a ATA adapter that originally was sold by VONAGE.  it connects ok except when I have it inline with my computer is interferes with the connection... I go to startup my web browser and it comes back unable to connect to the homepage,
Which home page?
or the connection is so slow that it times out. what settings do I need to have on my system to get this to work right. I'm on a Centurylink 20 GB DSL connection and the DSL modem is also the router... I have the computer connecter to the ata adapter which is connected to the DSL Modems 2nd. port...(total of 4) so, what do I have to do to get this thing working at full speed....Right now, the ata unit is offline....(I unplugged it from the router)  John
Instead of connecting your computer to the ATA, connect it to the router as previously (I assume). Connect the ATA directly to the router as well with the WAN port. You may not be able to access the ATA configuration screens, this way, but the ATA may have a setting to permit administration access on the WAN port.

Many ATAs these days have a router built-in to substitute as a home networking gateway. If you're using it that way, you probably have to configure it correctly for your setup, but the gateway function is really not needed.

Babybearjs

I'm currently using a Actiontec PK5001A and it has all the ports assigned (being Used) so if I unplug one of the cords, plug the ata into that port, and then plug the cord into the ata, the computer assigned to that port has a slow internet connection... can I configure my pk5001A or the ata to work together? what should the settings be, or just leave it as it is now?
John

twocvbloke

Add more network capacity:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251556803883

Connect one output from your present router to one of those Ethernet switches, and then use the ports on there rather than trying to use a passthrough which doesn't seem to work properly... :)

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 12, 2014, 03:20:08 PM
I'm currently using a Actiontec PK5001A and it has all the ports assigned (being Used) so if I unplug one of the cords, plug the ata into that port, and then plug the cord into the ata, the computer assigned to that port has a slow internet connection... can I configure my pk5001A or the ata to work together? what should the settings be, or just leave it as it is now?
You have to look at the configuration options of all devices. I would not stack multiple routers that introduce additional NAT behind one another.  ATAs often have QoS features turned on, impeding other network traffic through the device.
Some ATAs can also work in a bridge configuration, removing the routing/gateway function.
The technically best solution would be to get a larger switch behind your gateway.
Do you have full access to the configuration of the ATA?  What kind of ATA is it? Vonage has used many over the years.

Babybearjs

the ATA I'm using is a Panasonic VT1005V and it is inoperable now. I'm unable to access the units bios using the address 192.168.105.1. I was able to order another on ebay and it will be here next week, but that may not solve my problem. between the 2 units, the bios settings need to be set so the units are in sync and I don't know what these setting need to be. I had to completely reset my DSL modem and set it back up using the default settings. I need to find out what the settings for the ATA need to be and get it configured... based on the information in the units manual, when the light is flashing 3 times it means it trying to D/L the configuration file, which doesn't work because there is no programming from the server...which is supposedly tftp.shane.co. C*net should have better access because my DSL modem automatically downloads the information the modem needs when asked for, the same should be for the C*NET system.... I'm very skepical about the system and don't understand the ATA configuration method....
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 15, 2014, 12:04:23 AM
the ATA I'm using is a Panasonic VT1005V and it is inoperable now. I'm unable to access the units bios using the address 192.168.105.1.
Do you have the correct address? Isn't it 192.168.102.1, for these?

Babybearjs

I'll double check....that may be my problem....
John

Babybearjs

enclosed is a copy of the manual, that address didn't work...
John

twocvbloke

It could be that your router is assigning the ATA a new IP address, so check your router's network tree (I don't know where it is on your router, as they're all different) to see what address it's at, then enter that in your browser... :)

unbeldi

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 15, 2014, 07:50:55 PM
It could be that your router is assigning the ATA a new IP address, so check your router's network tree (I don't know where it is on your router, as they're all different) to see what address it's at, then enter that in your browser... :)

No, that should not be the case.  The VT1005, or any ATA with a built-in router function, having two Ethernet ports, requests an IP address only on its WAN port, and not on its LAN port.  The LAN port provides its own DHCP server for any devices that are connected on that port.

Make sure that you are accessing the unit at that address from the LAN port, not from the WAN port, from which the administration web interface is usually not accessible.

That said, some ATAs with integrated router/gateway function can be configured in a bridge mode. In this mode, the two ports (WAN and LAN) essentially operate like a two-port Ethernet switch and the IP address of the management interface is indeed obtained by DHCP. In this case, the internal DHCP server is disabled.  IIRC, the VT1005 does not have an explicit bridge mode configuration.

Babybearjs

thank you. I'll keep you up to date with my findings....
John

Babybearjs

my first of 2 ATA's has failed.... deader then a doornail.... am using my backup now, but offline. you go to dial out and get a out of service message...
John