News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Turquoise AE 80

Started by Greg G., February 21, 2010, 10:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I said I wasn't going to get another 500 style phone until I finished at least a couple of the 2 dozen others, but you know how that goes.

I had a weekend day off for a change so I hit an estate sale and a couple yard sales.  The estate sale is where I got this one.  Everything was half off.  So as I'm doing the 'rithmatic, which would bring it down to $12.50, the lady running the show walked by me and said "Ten dollars and it's yours!" Deal!

It's sitting in a bath of Oxyclean right now (the plastic parts).  It was refurbished in 73 apparently and outfitted with a FMN cover.  The color code on the base is beige.  Has a frequency ringer.  I see it jiggle for an incoming call, but not enough juice to hit the bells.

I've got two others similar to this.  I have a 73 that is FMN blue, and a 65 turquoise.  The 73 has no ringer at all, and minus the dial bezel (I broke it).  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

What am I missing?  The inside of the shell looks like it is the same color as the outside to me.

Larry

Greg G.

Maybe you're right.  I don't have an example of a jade, turquoise, or tropic green to compare it with.  After the grime's off, I'll be able to tell more if it's faded.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Yeah the inside sure looks the same.  Maybe you got real lucky and found an unfaded one.  It's a nice find for 10 clams.

Craig T

Good eye Briny! I also think the color looks to be in good order on the inside and outside. Can't wait to see it cleaned up.

LarryInMichigan

I think that the numbering on the bottom indicates that the original shell was antique white and that it did not have a ringer.  It was apparently refurbished in 1973.  The current ringer appears to be a 33.3Hz frequency ringer.  Take a look at: http://paul-f.com/AEcolors.htm

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 21, 2010, 10:46:50 PM
I think that the numbering on the bottom indicates that the original shell was antique white and that it did not have a ringer.  It was apparently refurbished in 1973.  The current ringer appears to be a 33.3Hz frequency ringer.  Take a look at: http://paul-f.com/AEcolors.htm

According to the example on Paul's site, it's the 4th and 5th digit that indicate the original color.  
QuoteExample: NC802100 CSA  = NC802 (model) 10 (color: beige) 0 CSA (dial & ringer)

In this case, NB 82210 CXX, "10" is the color code, which is beige.  White or beige, it ain't no more.  FMN blue fades to a very similar shade of green, that's why I thought it was FMN blue.  So, what dang color is it?  Maybe Jade Green?  Anybody got an example?  Googling "jade green" comes up with various shades of green.
- Mike Row
e

Craig T

Not sure if this is what you are talking about Briny, but Dennis has a Jade Green AE 40 on this site.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/2008/05/07/whats-been-bringing-top-dollar-at-auction/

JorgeAmely

Brinybay:

I think your phone color is turquoise (color code 15). Compare it to the one pictured below.

Yours is the first one I have seen with the network housing in a color other than black. The color is not faded, it should turn out very nice.

Jorge

Craig T

Post up some more pics when you get it finished up, great color phone.

Greg G.

Here it is, not bad.  The dial bezel still had some markings where the finger holes were, I sanded it a bit with the two highest grades, but just enough to get the markings off.  The AE logo on the cradle somehow was obliterated during it's lifetime with deep scratches.  Not sure how or why that was done, but there's no hope of saving it.  I will sand it out smoother later just to get rid of the scratches.  I didn't sand anything else, I detest sanding plastic 500 sets, such a CHORE!

What dial card goes with these?  I was going to stick in an AE dial card and cellophane, but realized the supply I got from OPW doesn't fit this type of fingerwheel.  I dislike that "bare look".  Still needs a ringer, it has a frequency ringer, but otherwise works fine.  

- Mike Row
e

jsowers

Quote from: Brinybay on February 23, 2010, 02:49:20 AM
I didn't sand anything else, I detest sanding plastic 500 sets, such a CHORE!

What dial card goes with these?  I was going to stick in an AE dial card and cellophane, but realized the supply I got from OPW doesn't fit this type of fingerwheel.  I dislike that "bare look".  Still needs a ringer, it has a frequency ringer, but otherwise works fine.  

The black AE80 we had when I was a kid had a stick-on number card. I think that may be your only option here. And I agree about the "bare look" being sort of unfinished looking. You went to all the trouble to get the phone looking nice, so it needs a card. The telephonearchive.com site doesn't have anything that looks like a stick-on. Maybe someone from the forum can scan one of theirs and post it and you can print it out on a sheet of labels and carefully cut it out?

There are things called circle templates you can use with an artist's knife to cut a perfect circle. Under this link there is a blank GTE one that would look pretty good if you used a template to cut out the edges.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/cards/telcos_other.html

Those scratches may have been caused by someone lifting the handset with rings on. Or Edward Scissorhands. Remember all the color AE80s in that movie?
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

That particular dial from AE was very ubiquitous and the only type of number "card" that it was designed for is just a stick-on label.  Unfortunate, but true.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Brinybay:

Contact Steve from AZ for a REAL replacement AE finger wheel, which allows you to use the style of card you have. I think they are around $3 plus shipping.

I don't know if he has a replacement ringer, but there is an ebay auction going on now, 300394937582, and they still have 7 left. I bought two including shipping for $40. You can also buy an old clunker with the right ringer for a buck or two if the shipping is reasonable.

Jorge

Craig T

Another great turnout Briny, I like it. The color came out nice and even too. Thanks for cleaning it up first. I will send my address along, please pack it carefully    :D

LMK what you figure out on the dial card, I have a Starlite that takes one of those AE stick-on cards also.

I have some parts here. I just checked and the ringer I have is too new for your setup, one of those single bell ringers. The dial wheel is not perfect, but the price is nice... you can have it for the cost of shipping if it will work for you. Just after the "1" on the underside is a little bit of damage, You can see by the first pic it is nothing major though.