News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

can you dial a * on a rotary phone?

Started by ntophones, October 17, 2009, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

I just was wondering if anything on a rotary phone corresponds with a "*"?
thanks
--nto

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

benhutcherson

Unless you install a Rotatone-then it is possible for to dial * and #

ntophones

Thanks to you all. I was afraid of that.
=)
--nto

JorgeAmely

There is a small Windows application that allows you to generate all the standard tones a TT phone generates. If I want to transmit a # or *. I just get the transmitter close to the computer speaker and voila', the correct code goes out on a rotary phone.

It is available at:

http://www.silverstones.com/DTMFDial.html
Jorge

stub

Hi, You might fix a touch pad if  you read Stan Schreier's article on the ATCA web-site - Wiring A Touch Pad To Any Antique Telephone -  I love mine and  it works great. I change phones  around in my collection and just hook it to each one . I'm using a  AE- 183 for now .  Go here and give it a try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/ygr4jz3
Kenneth Stubblefield

McHeath

That is a really helpful article, I may try it. 

dsk

The dialgizmo makes you dial * and #

dsk

Greg G.

Quote from: stub1953 on October 18, 2009, 12:21:51 AM
Hi, You might fix a touch pad if  you read Stan Schreier's article on the ATCA web-site - Wiring A Touch Pad To Any Antique Telephone -  I love mine and  it works great. I change phones  around in my collection and just hook it to each one . I'm using a  AE- 183 for now .  Go here and give it a try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/ygr4jz3

Post a picture of your 183.  I'm in the middle of my 183 project.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

I'll see what I can do, if I can find camera and this 12 year old computer + dial-up will cooperate. I'll help any way I can.  The one I'm using now is red - color code F   garnet. 
Kenneth Stubblefield

benhutcherson

I've experimented with the computer DTMF dialer programs, and in my experience they're a bit touchy.

I found that I could get it to work satisfactorily with a 500 set by wrapping my fingers around the transmitter, and resting my knuckles against the speaker, provided that the volume was set correctly.

Regardless of what I did, I could never get it to work with a 302.

Also, I've never had any luck using the speakers built into my laptop. Since I use a laptop 99.9% of the time now, and don't carry around speakers, that doesn't work for me.

It can, though, be a viable and cheap option for 500 sets(or 302s, if you can figure out how to make it work).

Greg G.

Depends on the system your calling too and your phone company.  I use a cable company (Comcast) for my phone line.  I can navigate through my employer's phone system by dialing the numbers they say to push.  They don't ask for # or *.  Other systems I call won't do that.  One of my credit card companies does, another doesn't.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

aaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!   did you say  c#@%c%&@#st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :o :o :o :o :o :o
donna

stub

Brinybay , Sorry I won't be able to post picture of red 183, I have a short between the ground and the operator. I'll be back when fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

I take that back, I called my work place today and now it won't accept rotary.  I wonder if it's specific to the phone?

Tried it again with a couple different phones, still doesn't work.  This is odd.  Why was I able to dial through a phone tree before, but not now? 
- Mike Row
e