"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This makes me sick

Started by AET, October 23, 2009, 09:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on October 24, 2009, 07:39:54 PM
I just called her today. I recommended that she scrap some touchtones or rotary phone look alikes. I also went into how dials are a diminishing resource and all that stuff. I also told her I was on a rotary phone talking to her. (my red 500) She was actually really nice about it and seems like she will take my advice.

Just saved some phones ;D

She sounds well meaning enough.  I did the next best thing and emailed her.  I asked her discreetly if she had an example of her work she could show.  Here's her response:

QuoteGreg   I havent had any  rotary phones  there is website that has in detail how to take the phone apart and make a clock from a  rotary phone. www.repair-home.com

The instructions she's referring to can be found here:  http://www.repair-home.com/how_to_clocks.html.  In case you can't bring the link up, here is the article:

QuoteRotary Phone Clock
This decorative table clock will add a sense of humor and whimsy to any room. And, its easy to make!

Materials:
You will need:

•one rotary phone (that you don't want to use for calls anymore!)
•flathead screwdriver
•one paperclip
•one piece of foam board
•craft knife
•clock kit
•glue that dries clear

How To Make the Clock:

•Using your flathead screwdriver, remove the screws in your rotary phone. This will allow you to separate the plastic casing, receiver, finger hook, and number plate from the base of the phone.
•Find the hole located on the fingerplate between the numbers 0 and 9. Rotate the fingerplate clockwise as far as it can go and insert the open end of your paperclip into the hole.
•Pressing the paperclip down, continue to rotate the fingerplate until it stops. Remove the paperclip and lift off the fingerplate.
•Using your screwdriver, remove the metal ring in the center of the number plate.
•Remove the number card from the phone. Trace this onto your foam board and cut the circle out.
•Glue the piece of foam to the original number card and place them back into the number plate.
•Cut a small hole in the center of the foam. This is where the clock movement will sit.
•Assemble your clock movement and attach to the back of the foam. Align the movement hands and slip them through the small hole, so that they are sitting on the front of the foam.
•Attach foam to number plate.
•Apply glue around the edge of the hole in the phones casing.
•Turn right side up and press the number plate into position on the receiver.
•Allow to dry for at least 20 minutes.
•Place the plastic casing over the base of the phone and screw back into place.
•Gently cover movement with fingerplate.

Without graphics or an example, I can't picture entirely what they are doing to the phone, (they lost me around step 9 or 10) or whether it's permanent or can be reversed, but this DIY website is the REAL culprit here, IMO.  The CL lady simply wants to try a small DIY project, and I applaud her for that.  It sounds like she can be gently educated and persuaded not to commit mortal sin on vintage rotary phones.  Perhaps some of youse folks in the group who are more engineering types can modify the instructions to do this with a Crosley or second-hand touch tone and send to her, along with some of the links from the Hideous Phones section. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Sounds to me like she is basically gutting out the dial, and placing an aftermarket clock movement in its place.
She probably superglues the receivers, so it can't be lifted, all this after gutting the bells, and the networks, then throwing them into the trash. Then replacing the line cord, with an electrical cord, to run the clock motor, Oh yes, then the cord goes into the trash also. Don't forget to toss all the small dial parts and screws you don't know what to do with into the trash also..
For the final touch, maybe a coat of pearl white paint over and under the entire phone to cover up the hideous factory markings like, LOUDER, and 500/12/49.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson