News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone in a box?

Started by AE40FAN, June 08, 2014, 11:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

Friend of mine gifted me this phone recently.  She was cleaning out a retired gentleman's office and came across this phone in a box.  Probably from the late 70's.  Handset is hardwired and the bottom of the box has a modular connection.   Also, label on the bottom states property of Bell and I believe it was given to a SNET employee?  What I find most interesting is the dial.  It is the early 40's/50's porcelain dial with a chrome finger wheel.  Any ideas what this may have been used for and is there any value?

BDM

No idea but I'm betting Paul-F does. Nice acquisition ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Found it. This is a "Chestphone" or Executive Phone I do believe. 101-Leatherette

http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

poplar1

Dial is not 40s or 50s. Probably a 6T from the 1970s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE40FAN

BDM-

Yes, it is indeed the 101 leatherette!  Thanks for your help.  I may gift this to my boss for his desk.  I wonder if he will like it?

-Frank

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE40FAN on June 09, 2014, 02:31:48 PM
BDM-

I may gift this to my boss for his desk.  I wonder if he will like it?

-Frank

If he is into late 70s stuff, it would be perfect.  I personally don't care for late 70s style.  I didn't care for it in the late 70s either.

Larry

BDM

Something about the mid and late 1970 with electronics. They tried to make electrical items seem "hip" or just darn cheesy ??? Seems to have improved in the 80s ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

paul-f

The direct link to the Chestphone is:
  http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html#Chest

The entire model number should be stamped on the bottom of the phone -- something like 881C101.

There are some photos of other variations made by ATC/DecoTel here:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4419.0

It was a big seller for them for quite a few years.  They were also filled with AE/GTE or ITT parts installed by independent telephone companies.

Occasionally NOS empty housing kits are still found.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Scotophor

Sometimes these phones were either removed from the housing, or only the lid was removed, and it was installed in a desk drawer. I've seen them that way several times on old TV shows. The empty housings might be useful to re-convert such a phone back to desktop service, if anyone had one and desired to do so. The phones are not worth much though. IIRC, a similar one (fake "carved wood" lid rather than leatherette) was in the silent auction at the recent CA show and either got no bids or sold for $10 or less. It might have been touch-tone though, I don't remember.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

paul-f

I agree that the common varieties were produced in such quantity that the number available is far greater than the number of collectors looking for them -- resulting in low prices.

However, there are some interesting variations and limited production housings that occasionally command a premium.  I have seen some of the NOS empty housings sell for over $100, while others have gone under the radar for much less.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

tptech302

My grandparents had one just like it in their bedroom

AE40FAN

This phone looks much better in person.  It is in AMAZING condition.  I'm not sure if it was ever used.  I'll hold onto it for awhile.  It may increase in value one day.   Same thing was said about the early plastic desk sets.  Who would ever want those?