"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2014 Lancaster Show and Side Trip for WesternElectricBen

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 08, 2014, 05:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure it was safe to report that this was the biggest phone show in Lancaster yet, filling the main room as well as the lobby and back. Lots of great phones, I missed out on a $35 1957 soft plastic yellow sadly.. As well as a sweet 5 line WE swirl. Even though I did miss out, we got some great finds, which I will post images soon!

We met some nice people not on this forum and on, for example oldc64man, umbedi, Paul-F, and likely more. I enjoyed Timmynet and umbedi's teletrainer. As well as Paul-F's stand, where we had a good conversation and I scored a nice sign and AE speakerphone set for a good price. Other than that, there were many other people who we reunited with. I bought a BK 1050 from Ray as well as a 10 button green, both for very fair prices.

Now, today (6/8,) we drove to Reading PA to meet up with a good friend, who couldn't make it to the show because of his ALS. Last year, he was the person who donated boxes of nice sets to my collection. Once we were their, I showed him some of my finds (pictures posted) as well as my collection. Sitting in his living room, he told me to go down to the basement, (which was once filled with switching equipment) to find a screwdriver. Once I came back, he said he wanted me to have the 500 on the bookcase, which was hardwired into the house. First, I checked if it worked, but their was no dial tone, (I'l come back to that..)

About 3 minuets later, I had it disconnected and brought it over to him, I flipped it over to see the age, but their was no date in the place where they are commonly found. Then, I looked down and saw, 11-50. What a nice person, a payphone, med. blue phone, and more... Really no word to describe his generosity.

He then next explained it was his grandmothers phone, which he brought over to his house a while ago. Then I remembered why it no longer works, at the last show, he explained that somebody removed the huge switch, and it must have been connected up to that. It's really too bad about his illness, especially that he feels fine, but cannot do much.

After that, I took a look at his switchboard in the corner, comically yet seriously he ads, 'take it with you.' I think we all had a good laugh...

Link to video as well as more images: http://youtu.be/AfIcyZ1ytYU

TCI image link: http://www.telephonecollectors.org/shows/2014/Lancaster/gallery.htm

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, it look like you had a fantastic weekend, especially with that 1950 500!!! I'm so sorry about your friend, and I hope he's doing okay.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 08, 2014, 06:56:55 PM
Wow, it look like you had a fantastic weekend, especially with that 1950 500!!! I'm so sorry about your friend, and I hope he's doing okay.

It definitely was a fantastic weekend meeting up with some people here as well as the finds. I'm sure he appreciates your sorrow, but he frankly isn't doing well, which is terrible.

The 1950 500 as well as my second P/U was great.

Ben

paul-f

Ben,

I really enjoyed our conversation and meeting with others from this group and collectors I only see in person about once a year.

I look forward to your photos and hope you found some good stuff on the many tables of gear that came out of the large truck -- especially after they dropped the prices down to $1 per item.  I watched in awe as another collector scored a Glow phone in the box.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: paul-f on June 09, 2014, 08:30:42 PM
Ben,

I really enjoyed our conversation and meeting with others from this group and collectors I only see in person about once a year.

I look forward to your photos and hope you found some good stuff on the many tables of gear that came out of the large truck -- especially after they dropped the prices down to $1 per item.  I watched in awe as another collector scored a Glow phone in the box.

Hi Paul,

I agree, I really enjoyed talking and meeting you in person.

The outside sale sure was something, my mother was even given a Mickey Mouse phone. I bought a 70's 'hotel phone' phone case with the lamp cover, which I removed, so I could place it over my new 500 P/U base. Of course, I will need to drill out the switch hole, and it doesn't match the base, it is good enough until I find a suitable replacement.

What is a glow phone?

Ben

paul-f

Was your housing from a Western 500Y?  If so, what doesn't fit?

The Glow Phone is arguably the scarcest Design Line set:

http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html#Glow

(...and follow the link for more detailed photos.)

WesternElectricBen

Wow, the Glow phone is really cool..

Exactly where it is from either a Y or M, but it's SC casing. I just need to add a hole for the key switch in the lower left corner.

Ben

paul-f

Interesting.

If it's the SC 500-series clone housing, I'd expect a cylinder inside the housing that can act as a drill guide to open up the hole for the key.

Is there a brass fitting in the hole for the lamp cap, as is found in the Western 500U and 500Y housings?

I know ITT strayed from the Western Electric design for the message waiting lamp cap, and suspect SC did as well...

WesternElectricBen

Right,

There is a provision for a drill hole, although I'l practice on a junk housing before.

Actually, there is no brass fitting around the outside, but the lamp shade has a plastic rim, and it was connected with a metal spring fit, (or something on the line of that.)

Ben

Sargeguy

I was there for about an hour-and-a-half on Saturday and I managed to pick up a few odds and ends to fill some holes in the collection.  I especially enjoyed Ray/kleenax's scratch-and-dent section.   Paul-f and I were able to discuss the prospects for a Northeast Regional show.  I finally found a red thermoplastic F-1 handle for my Pekin Red 302 (now I need to find where I put the caps).  Then it was on to Dutch Wonderland with my 5-year old.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Matilo Telephones

Looks like a brilliant trip Ben! Thanks for sharing.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

WesternElectricBen

Too bad we didn't meet, Sarge. I hope you had a good time in Dutch Wonderland, at least you made it to the show for a brief time.

It sure was Arwin!

Ben

AE40FAN

Nice finds Ben!  Can't wait to see photos.  It's too bad you missed out on the soft plastic yellow 500.  Sadly, I'm still lacking one for my collection as the one I almost had was stolen from me almost a year ago.    I'm still looking....

WesternElectricBen

Thanks, Frank!

I thought of you when I saw it the night before and how yours was sadly stolen..

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: AE40FAN on June 10, 2014, 10:42:10 AM
Nice finds Ben!  Can't wait to see photos.  It's too bad you missed out on the soft plastic yellow 500.  Sadly, I'm still lacking one for my collection as the one I almost had was stolen from me almost a year ago.    I'm still looking....
How/where was your phone stolen?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001