News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE880 Dawn Gray Speaker Phone on Chicago Craigslist

Started by LarryInMichigan, June 27, 2013, 11:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I am not too familiar with most NE phones. I have a couple of dark blue Contempra's and am not certain if they are harder to find than others. Someone will know......

Terry

WesternElectricBen

AE_Collector

Styleline is the somewhat similar "dial in handset" phone made by AE. More like the TrimLine though really.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

The only reason I bought it, it was 10 bucks and I thought it might be a good buy or it might just be a nice phone..

G-Man

Quote from: AE_Collector on July 19, 2013, 10:30:59 PM
I will be right there. Just have to get this knock-off gold one spray painted up first.

An ebaY find Paul?

Terry

Terry, it is interesting how you mentioned gold and that Richard Rose posted the following a short while ago:

--- In singingwires@yahoogroups.com, Richard Rose <richard@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> Anybody interested in metallic gold? I'm going to be doing a run of
> metallic gold next week for a special order. This came up very short
> notice, so sorry for the small window of opportunity. I'll be taking
> these in late next week along with the Aqua.
> A couple of caveats. The metallic gold paint is pricey as all git
> out, so there will be a $1 per phone surcharge added on the my
> previous price quotes. Also, if the special order falls through, the
> paint run won't be done. I'll return any unpainted parts at my expense.
>
> I need all parts in to me by next Wednesday. Remember...clean and paint ready!
>
> Richard Rose

AE_Collector

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 19, 2013, 11:14:17 PM
The only reason I bought it, it was 10 bucks and I thought it might be a good buy or it might just be a nice phone..

Is the color decent? I think the dark blue Contempra's that I have do have some discoloration. That color seems bad for discoloring.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: G-Man on July 19, 2013, 11:51:52 PM
Terry, it is interesting how you mentioned gold and that Richard Rose posted the following a short while ago:

I wonder what they turn out like. The gold plated plastics like the 880 that Paul posted the picture of can't be as easy as painting plastic. It seems like a real metalic plating somehow applied to plastic. It must be a very different process. Those plated plastics feel much heavier than conventional plastic housings.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on July 19, 2013, 11:52:15 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 19, 2013, 11:14:17 PM

Is the color decent? I think the dark blue Contempra's that I have do have some discoloration. That color seems bad for discoloring.

Terry

It's actually really nice! I don't think it's discolored at all really.. No variations of color.

AE40FAN

Quote from: AE_Collector on July 19, 2013, 10:41:23 PM
Quote from: AE40FAN on July 19, 2013, 04:30:15 PM
In regards to colors on AE880's and AE80's.   What colors did they come in and what colors are the most rare?

Here is the color list for AE 80's and 90's. rarest by far is 16 - Colonial Blue, particularly in 90 wall phones and the next rarest color is 11 - Dawn Gray.

00 - Ebony Black
10 - Sand Beige
11 - Dawn Gray
12 - Jade Green
13 - Classic Ivory
14 - Garnet Red
15 - Turquoise
16 - Colonial (dark) Blue
17 - Sunlight Yellow
18 - Camelia Pink
19 - Gardenia White
30 - Forget-Me-Not (light) Blue

In later years the AE 980/981/982 Styline drove them to produce more colors and some of these newer colors found their way into AE 80E sets as well as 192 desk and wall Starlte phones.

Terry

Well, then I am on a quest to find colonial blue...anybody have photos of one?

AE_Collector

AE 90 in Colonial Blue and then an AE 80 in Colonial Blue.

They show up on ebaY occasionally, well the 80's at least. The 90 is much rarer as the color only existed for maybe two years at the most and the AE 90 was not introduced until more than a year after the introduction of the AE 80. Thus, virtually no AE 90's in this color out there.

Notice the characteristic of all very early AE 90's, a color matching painted receiver hook rather than a chrome one. All early 90's had this.

Terry

AE40FAN

Beautiful color...just like the med. Blue 500's.