News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What does this mark mean on my 20AL?

Started by Partyline4, February 01, 2018, 09:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I didn't notice this mark on the 20Al perch for a while after I got it. It looks like it was intentionally punched out to disregard something?

What do you think?

poplar1

20-S is the model number for an earlier desk stand. It was like the 20-B except that 20-B was nickel plated and 20-S was black japan finish.

Both had a "non-insulated" transmitter, with one exposed wire going through the back of the transmitter bell ("cup"). Also had a #122 receiver with exposed terminals.

"20-S" was struck out when the phone was converted to a different model. Is there another number stamped on the front or side of this part?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Usually if not stamped with the new model number designation under the strike out it is stamped on the reverse side.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

I have seen phones that have the model number stricken out but no replacement.  I wonder if these were purpose made phones that didn't align with a specific model OR maybe they just couldn't find the 20-AL stamp.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Partyline4

I'm sorry, I failed to mention the other side does have 20AL on it, I didn't even notice the other side pictured until today!
I've been painting it today, only warmish day we'll get in Durham today this week..I plan to picture it when I'm done!
I've included a picture of the 20AL.

Partyline4

Something I didn't realize is that you can take apart the bulldog and see the element. Just figured it out playing with it..Element is from 2/40, and the cap is from 12/21/39...

Neat....

Sargeguy

This looks like a typical refurbished 20-AL made of a combination of older and newer parts.  They are often seen with a riveted/notched AMERICAN BELL TELEPHONE transmitter cup. They were made during the Depression through WWII.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409