News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Buckey Walter phone booth sign

Started by david@london, February 09, 2016, 11:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

reading posts by Harry Smith + others about Phil Lapsley's book 'Exploding the Phone', and following the link Harry posted to explodingthephone.com, i've been reading about the small community of Boonville, California, who speak in their own local variation of english - Boontling.

they have phone booths with Pacific Bell signs written in Boontling.
A Buckey Walter is their term for a pay telephone, as explained here.

i wondered whether anyone on the forum lives in or near Boonville, or if anyone has visited ?

HarrySmith

Bucky Walter? I have never heard of that? What is the phone connection with that name?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

There was an article in Telephony or TE&M about it in the late 70s.Walter owned the telephone company,Buckey was a nickle

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: rdelius on February 09, 2016, 09:50:53 PM
There was an article in Telephony or TE&M about it in the late 70s.Walter owned the telephone company,Buckey was a nickle
I thought Walter was the first person in Boonville to own a telephone.

Click where it says 'here' to see the explanation.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

rdelius

this was based on a 35 to 40 year memory i thought this was understood by my reference.

Jim Stettler

There is a craft brewery in Boonville, CA that has a Boontling craft beer. I tried it a few years ago (because of Bucky Walter), I wasn't impressed. However, I live in Colorado and we have lots of craft breweries.

Jim S.
Last year on my daughter's 21st Birthday we went to the first "719" beer tasting. The requirement was that the brewery had to be in the 719 area code
http://focusonthebeer.com/2015/07/103-9rxp-hosts-inaugural-719-day-brew-fest.html.
There were 8 breweries that participated, There are quite a few that didn't,
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

david@london

......found another reference to boonville - this blue grass group are called the bucky walters.
........jim, the beer tasting sounds good.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: david@london on February 12, 2016, 11:16:29 PM
......found another reference to boonville - this blue grass group are called the bucky walters.
........jim, the beer tasting sounds good.
The beer tasting was a great time It was me, the wife, my oldest daughter (21) and her recurring boyfriend who was on school break visiting  from Canada. I had my 2nd oldest (18) daughter on call for drop off and pick-up.

I tell some of the tourists, "Come for the RMJ, Stay for the beer".

Jim SD.

Last week I tried Bristol brewing "Winter Warlock" that was aged in whiskey barrels from a local craft distiller. http://www.bristolbrewing.com/news_detail.asp?n_id=162

I don't drink much whiskey (anymore) High quality top shelf  scotch rocks/water (occasionally).
" Axe and the Oak " http://www.axeandtheoak.com/
is the best sipping whiskey I have ever had. It made me glad I don't drink whiskey anymore, because it could be a problem if I was younger.
I met the distiller  at the tasting and told him it was a VERY nice whiskey. He was a hobby turned craft and I think I made his day. But it much better than Chivas, Crown, Jack or Jim or typical rotgut.  Most likely it is a Colorado only product.

Jim S.

BTW I am sending them the link to this thread. IF you like to occasionally sip whiskey. "Oak and Axe" is where it is at. JMO
You live, You learn,

david@london

Babybearjs

cool... they actually let the customer have his own sign!
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 23, 2019, 05:45:36 PM
cool... they actually let the customer have his own sign!

Post #1 explains the background of this sign.
You live, You learn,

Babybearjs

must of been a town with a bunch of drunks in it, I've never heard of it and I'm from California!
John

Hill Haven Telephone Company

I recreated the sign :)  Im going to 3D print one and make it lighted.