News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Large Pacific Telephone Porcelain Sign

Started by Dave F, April 17, 2014, 09:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Here's an uncommon Bell System / Pacific Telephone porcelain sign that is rarely found in such nice condition.  This large (24" x 24") sign was obviously used to mark the location of some type of major underground cable.  It was probably located on a telco-owned property, as the public would not likely have known what a "Toll Wire Chief" was, nor how to contact him.

DF

Fabius

You're right. Good looking sign. These are usually seen with damage. On a side note this sign is also seen marked for the Bell Telephone of Nevada which was controlled by Pacific Telephone.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Russ Kirk

Nice sign!

So, Dave, are you keeping this sign or selling it?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

I have seen similar signs on eBay etc but did not realize how large they were.  Nice find!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dave F

Quote from: Fabius on April 18, 2014, 10:43:53 AM
You're right. Good looking sign. These are usually seen with damage. On a side note this sign is also seen marked for the Bell Telephone of Nevada which was controlled by Pacific Telephone.

There is one of the Bell Nevada versions on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131165293363

As you can see, it does have some damage.

DF

Dave F

Quote from: Russ Kirk on April 18, 2014, 12:15:26 PM
Nice sign!

So, Dave, are you keeping this sign or selling it?

Russ,

I collect artifacts from Pac Tel, so this one's a keeper.

DF

Sargeguy

I think I have a PAC TEL. marked 634 subset somewhere if you are interested. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

One of the few, if not the only porcelain Bell Telephone of Nevada signs the common man may be able to afford.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dave F

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 18, 2014, 03:34:31 PM
I think I have a PAC TEL. marked 634 subset somewhere if you are interested. 

Thanks Greg,

What I meant to say is that I collect signs and other Pac Tel advertising artifacts.

Dave

Dave F

Quote from: Fabius on April 18, 2014, 09:45:58 PM

One of the few, if not the only porcelain Bell Telephone of Nevada signs the common man may be able to afford.

Tom,

Are you saying that the Bell of Nevada version is a rare sign in any condition?  How about the Pac Tel version -- Have you seen others this clean?

Fortunately or unfortunately, I seem to be a quality fanatic.  The downside is that I continue to pass up many rare items that would be (to me) otherwise highly desirable.

Dave

Fabius

I wouldn't call the Bell of Nevada cable sign super rare.  Not common but they show up every once in a while. All other porcelain Bell of Nevada signs are super rare.

Like you I feel condition is important. What good is it to have rare sign but it looks like crap? I have a couple like that. I'm too embarrassed to display at a show.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905