News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1966 Green NE 500 Type MF-699

Started by ....., May 03, 2018, 12:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I got this phone in with some other phones I bought.
I have never seen a type MF-699 before. It has a button build into the handset and no bells, just some kind of a buzzer.
The dial bottom has MF-729 marked on it. It was missing the dial number face, I put a black one on until I can find a replacement green one. (I'll be looking for one if anyone has a spare.) :)
All the dates match and it's in good shape. With a little cleaning and a good buffing it should look good as new.

Anyone have any ideas on what this model is or what it could have been used for?

jsowers

Is the button on the handset a "push to talk" button or is it one that might amplify the signal (incoming or outgoing) when pressed? This could be a phone made for noisy locations. The pot next to the handset cord leads me to believe it has an amplified handset. Is there a corresponding hole in the side of the phone's housing to adjust it, or do you have to take the housing off to do that? I haven't seen that kind of control before on the base. Usually it's in the handset in later model 500s. And why didn't they just mount it with a hole through the metal base instead? This could be a home brew or contractor modified kind of phone.

Thanks for posting it. Maybe others have one like it they can share?
Jonathan

Quote from: jsowers on May 03, 2018, 12:48:26 PM
Is the button on the handset a "push to talk" button or is it one that might amplify the signal (incoming or outgoing) when pressed? This could be a phone made for noisy locations. The pot next to the handset cord leads me to believe it has an amplified handset. Is there a corresponding hole in the side of the phone's housing to adjust it, or do you have to take the housing off to do that? I haven't seen that kind of control before on the base. Usually it's in the handset in later model 500s. And why didn't they just mount it with a hole through the metal base instead? This could be a home brew or contractor modified kind of phone.

Thanks for posting it. Maybe others have one like it they can share?

I don't believe it's home brew, The type stamp on the bottom discounts that. There are no holes in the body.

Doug Rose

Really different phone. Hopefully someone will come up with some info on it. Other Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

I've never seen anything quite like that one. Does it work, or have you not tried it.
I'd be interested to know what it's use is and why the button on the handset.
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on May 03, 2018, 04:10:21 PM
I've never seen anything quite like that one. Does it work, or have you not tried it.
I'd be interested to know what it's use is and why the button on the handset.

I haven't tried it, but I will.

rdelius

Broadcast studios most likely.I modified many to ptt so clean recordings could be made  no local noise pick up

Key2871

Oh, never. Thought about that. Could be. I've seen Western units on the bay, but never inside.
KEN

AE_Collector

Pretty sure that will be a PTT handset. Button is virtually identical to a PTT button on an AE handset.

MF in telephony is Multifreq so if it were a TT phone I would say it was simply a Multifreq touchpad rather than DTMF. But unless it has been converted back to a dial that doesn't seem likely.

Four wire phone rather than a two wire phone? Too bad the set cord wasn't with it.

Saw a bunch of new dial rings including green listed on eBay for something like $5.

Terry

paul-f

What motivation would NE have to custom build a PTT switch like this, when they had access to several production G-type handsets with the button in the handle?

There are apparently two wires in the handset cord for the button, suggesting it is a simple contact set.

It would help to trace out a wiring diagram, to verify what the switch controls and how the added component(s) fit into the circuit.

The dial deserves more study as well. Since it apparently has a different part number (or modification code) stamped on it, it must differ in some way from the regular production dials. If you take the cover off, are the contacts and gearing standard? If so, perhaps the difference was in the missing number ring - which might have given some indication of the purpose of the set.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Paul here are more of the pictures I had taken of the phone.

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on May 03, 2018, 08:25:45 PM
Broadcast studios most likely.I modified many to ptt so clean recordings could be made  no local noise pick up
I agree with Robby, no ringer. Phone had LEDS on wall to show if there was a call coming in. Disc Jockey studio...cool phone

Button looks like an after market....other Doug 
Kidphone