News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western ELECTRIC 500 1950

Started by zapper, March 01, 2016, 08:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapper

Hope one of the member's snagged this phone!
Vtg 1946 Western Electric 302 Rotary Desk Phone F1 Receiver Deco Restored Works!
item number:
Zapper

Ktownphoneco

I think the seller needs to "research" the telephone type / model a little more before adding the listing.     Looks like it's be "played" with.     1950 base and a 1954 ringer, and hand made conductor labels and conductor markings on the network, are probably a good indicator that things "may not" be original, making the price about $60.00, give or take,  too much.

Jeff Lamb

zapper

Looks to have a 311 Equalizer,
Zapper

unbeldi

Well, as we know it IS hard to find an all original 500 set of 1950.  Not only did they make less than 200,000 units in 1950, many of them would be refurbished with new parts. Most of the components on the 500 were redesigned within a few years.
I am actually happy that mine still has the original 1950 line cord, 25-0 D3AY II50, and 3-50 network (+ eq).

JimHyak

I bought it. I saw the discrepancies noted, but made the leap anyway. My earliest 500 is a 1-51, and it is all original. We'll see how much of this is 1950, but at least the dial face looks correct. Too much$? Ask yourself how many 1950 500s have come up on eBay in the last year?

I asked the seller about the title of the listing, I wanted to make sure he was selling the 500 and not a 302. His answer:

"Yes im sorry i get the title from internet because I don't know
What this thing call i will send exactly the one on pictures thanks"

Speak English not so much?

I'll post pics once I receive it, hopefully he follows my packing instructions.

Jim
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

JimHyak

So I received the phone today. Here are some photos. While the ringer, cords, capsules and caps were replaced, the rest looks original. I'm not exactly sure on the handset, its labeled 1-5, I don't remember how the early date codes work. If anyone has an early C2A ringer they are willing to part with, PM me.

Jim
Jim

Dennis Markham

Jim, it's been my experience with the early Bakelite G1's that the date 1-5 would indicate January 1955.  Later, the dates were marked in a more common manner, such as 4-56, etc. 

Looks like some very early base parts on your phone (and housing, dial, etc).  A 1949 network date is very nice. 

I did look at the eBay photos and see the bezel is an earlier one, not the U-shape "operator" but the word "operator" is much smaller than later models.

Nice phone and the price was reasonable considering the age of the phone.

~Dennis

poplar1

Additional Ebay photos:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JimHyak

Thanks, Dennis
A 1-55 date would be fairly consistent with the other handset parts. Yes, the bezel is the backpainted "small operator" like the one on my 1-51. I knew it was a good chance that parts other than the ringer pictured would be later dated, but my guess is that these were field repairs vs a factory refurb. Seems they would have done a CONV job like a few others I have encountered.

Alas no original card under Dennis the Menace but it is from a pretty old comic.

I cant make it to the shows, so ebay and the occasional local find are my only shopping choices at the moment. The early 500 go quick, happy to finally catch one.

Jim
Jim

Dennis Markham

Jim, you were reading my mind.  I was going to ask you if the Dennis The Menace had been stamped on the back side of an original dial card.  That was my first impression when I saw it.  I spent a lot of time as a kid reading Dennis The Menace....wonder why.

~Dennis

Quote from: JimHyak on March 09, 2016, 08:39:58 PM

Alas no original card under Dennis the Menace but it is from a pretty old comic.

Jim

RotarDad

Jim - Nice phone!!  I might be wrong, but I think you have bragging rights for the oldest 500 425A net.  Yours looks like 5-49.  I have a 6-49, and I thought it was the oldest.  Even on the couple of '49 phones I've seen pics of, the nets were newer.  Anyone seen one older than 5-49???
Paul

JimHyak

For Dennis
PM me if you want the original, I will put it in the mail, but it looks like it was clipped out of the newspaper. Also, I scanned this at about twice this resolution, I can send that file to you if you like.
Jim

david@london

interesting......i didn't know that  there was an american dennis the menace!
we have a british dennis the menace (scottish in fact) who appears in "the beano" comic, along with his faithful dog, gnasher - an abyssinian wire-haired tripe hound.
according to wiki, the american dennis arrived 5 days before the scottish one, in march 1951.
i must say i think 'our' dennis looks alot more menacing - however, looks can be deceiving.

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on March 10, 2016, 01:00:51 PM
interesting......i didn't know that  there was an american dennis the menace!
we have a british dennis the menace (scottish in fact) who appears in "the beano" comic, along with his faithful dog, gnasher - an abyssinian wire-haired tripe hound.
according to wiki, the american dennis arrived 5 days before the scottish one, in march 1951.
i must say i think 'our' dennis looks alot more menacing - however, looks can be deceiving.

The American Dennis was portrayed as an "angel" more than willing to help, especially Mr. Wilson, with anything and everything. That was the overarching character but the results were near total destruction. He always meant well but it never turned out that way, no matter who he helped or with whatever he did. Even his parents felt the destruction that little dynamo of bad outcomes came up with every show. Just how could such a sweet, friendly, helpful and cute kid with blonde hair and a great smile be such a menace . . .