VERY RARE CLEAR WESTERN ELECTRIC MODEL 500 ROTARY TELEPHONE DATED 1949

Started by zapper, September 15, 2019, 09:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapper

eBay item number:
Sold last evening for $1350.00
Zapper

Doug Rose

I give up. How do you search a auction number on eBay? 15 minutes of trying. A link is just so much easier. How do your search this number on eBay?
Kidphone

countryman

You search for an item no. by copying it into the normal eBay search frame. But this only works for active sales, not expired like this one! Learned this recently...
If zapper still has a link to the item, this would work.

FABphones

Listing was active for just over two hours and received 47 views before selling.
Buy It Now. $1350.00.

Screenshot from listing:

ETA: Link below from tubaman.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Here's the link - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-CLEAR-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-MODEL-500-ROTARY-TELEPHONE-DATED-1949/233341824032
( dead link 04-09-21 )   - $1350 Buy It Now.

The case does indeed appear to date from 1949 as per attached photo.
If a listing has completed then search for the listing number and then check the 'Completed Listing' box on the left .
:)

Doug Rose

Thanks for the Link. I did not see this on eBay. Was it a BIN? I can never tell. What a fantastic find! Is this the earliest known 500 set date?.....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 15, 2019, 11:59:23 AM
Thanks for the Link. I did not see this on eBay. Was it a BIN? I can never tell. What a fantastic find! Is this the earliest known 500 set date?.....Doug

Doug, yes looks like it was a BIN.

zapper

The listing originally was an auction $399.00 opening bid.  The seller apparently received an offer for the $1350.00 and changed the listing to Buy It Now
Was going to ask the seller to remove the cover and see if the dates matched.  The number card is newer dial look worn, and the cords also look newer.

andre_janew

It has a coiled handset cord, which they didn't offer in 1949 on the 500 sets.

tubaman

Quote from: andre_janew on September 15, 2019, 12:32:43 PM
It has a coiled handset cord, which they didn't offer in 1949 on the 500 sets.

Indeed, it also has a 425B network and no sign of the separate 311A equaliser that the early sets had I believe.
I've a nasty feeling the only possibly 1949 bit is the case and the buyer will be very unhappy.
:(

Ktownphoneco

For completed listings :   copy the listing number into the search box, and go to the left side of the page and put a check mark in the box labeled "Completed Listings" and hit search.

Jeff Lamb

andre_janew

david@london

Quote from: tubaman on September 15, 2019, 12:45:03 PM
Indeed, it also has a 425B network and no sign of the separate 311A equaliser that the early sets had I believe.
I've a nasty feeling the only possibly 1949 bit is the case and the buyer will be very unhappy.

Centre holes in handset caps too, however the 'operator' on the dial bezel looks like the early small font, with the zero above the letter 'p'. Or should that be the curved 'operator' if it's a 1949 model?

tubaman

Quote from: david@london on September 15, 2019, 01:17:24 PM
Centre holes in handset caps too, however the 'operator' on the dial bezel looks like the early small font, with the zero above the letter 'e'.

Hmm, that is different - I assume you mean 'the zero above the p' as all my later 500 sets have it above the 'e'?
Somehow it's just not all adding up.

david@london