"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

VERY RARE CLEAR WESTERN ELECTRIC MODEL 500 ROTARY TELEPHONE DATED 1949

Started by zapper, September 15, 2019, 09:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 17, 2019, 03:38:03 PM
When I copy a link, it copies the page as It is on my screen, that shows up as me on line and others can access my page.
Copy the URL at the top of the page you are current on, open another window and past the link. Then you will see what I mean.
Whether others can actually access my information or change anything, I would rather not chance it as the ability to edit all posts would be avaialble.

D/P

@D/P, That is happening because your browser remembers your forum login details.
For example, I use Chrome as my browser of choice and when I first logged into the forum I checked the "remember me on this computer" (or words to that effect) box so that each time I open the forum I am logged-in and ready to go.
If I go to the forum in another browser (eg Internet Explorer), where I have not previously logged in, it shows me as a Guest user, and this is what will happen with any link you use.  It really is perfectly safe.
:)

Dan/Panther

Tubaman;
Thank you for the information. I guess I'm just overly cautious.
I use Firefox as my primary browser. My internet Explorer has stopped working, So I don't have an alternative Browser installed. Yes I do save my Website log-in data in my computer, I have perhaps 100 plus user names and passwords. No way to recall them all.
I'm about due for a new computer, as this one is getting very slow, so at that point I can use the method you suggested.
Thanks for input. I appreciate it.

What I really wish someone would come up with is, a program that actually finds and fixes viruses. I have had computers since VIC-20, 1979,  and not one Virus program has EVER prevented viruses, or cleaned up a computer and made it better. They are a JOKE.
If anyone knows of anything like that PLEASE let me know.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Stormcrash

Malwayrebytes has always been pretty good for malware removal and repair. Removal is still in the free version last I knew. In terms of detection it can be hit or miss, but the copy of Defender build into Windows these days does a good enough job that I don't bother with anything else (Security Essentials is the version for Win7, but with end of life coming at the end of the year I'd urge an upgrade to Windows 10). For general maintenance of the PC just being careful and deliberate in what you install is really all you can do

Doug Rose

I used McAfee for years until it was no longer included in my FIOs price, I had no issues. All the techs at work use Defender and say it's great. I am now using Webroot. Jan got at Best Buy when she purchased a new computer....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Defender keeps popping up. I'm going to have to look further into it.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

Meanwhile, has anyone noticed that this phone has the 3-point dial bracket? 

Quote from: andre_janew on September 20, 2019, 08:58:57 PM
Meanwhile, has anyone noticed that this phone has the 3-point dial bracket?

Yup, can be see from this view.

andre_janew

Quote from: andre_janew on September 20, 2019, 09:18:47 PM
The newest base to have such a bracket would be dated 3-55.

So what you are saying is that that bracket belongs to a base dated after 3-55?

tubaman

The eBay feedback left for the sale of "Nice Item, Professional Packing, Honest Seller!! - Thank you!" (my italics) makes me wonder if a refund of some sort has been made.

andre_janew

Maybe he got a partial refund for it at least.  It was a clear phone, but not a dates matching clear phone.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: andre_janew on September 21, 2019, 05:35:18 PM
Maybe he got a partial refund for it at least.  It was a clear phone, but not a dates matching clear phone.

If the housing date is real, then it is a VERY valuable housing. But that is just the housing, and that is if the date stamp is real.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

the 'operator' on the dial bezel looks like the early small font, with the zero above the letter 'p'. Or should that be the curved 'operator' if it's a 1949 model?

[/quote]

My opinion is the clear dials with small operator font  were typically  used on custom finish sets. I think they made an inventory of the dial plates , and then used them till they were out. The later clear dial plates had operator in the standard font.

I lean towards the 1949 portion of the date stamp is either the housing date , or just an added date stamp. If the housing date  is a true  date , then this might be the first 500 housing  off the production line.
<edit> the second housing off the production line was probably black and was the first production set. if so 3/17/49  was possibly the start of production 500 sets.<edit>
Just some speculations,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.