News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Picked up an ITT 591 which is essentially WE 500, No Ring

Started by VintageTR, February 09, 2015, 08:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VintageTR

its a 1955 numbers matching. has a clear plastic finger wheel.  The Ringer that's in it is a Stromberg Carlson. it had a .27mfd cap across the A and K wires  actually soldered across the lugs and the slate and slate red wires disconnected and wrapped.  I read online that only the handset and dialer are exchangeable between the S-C500 and the WE 500. also can i put a metal finger wheel on it. any help or INfo on what i have will be appreciated.

Tom

LarryInMichigan

The model 591 is a 500 which was supplied without a ringer.  The telco would then install a frequency ringer according to the needs of the particular installation.  You will most probably need to replace the ringer if you want the phone to ring.  Replacement ringers are plentiful and cheap.

Larry

G-Man

Quote from: VintageTR on February 09, 2015, 08:35:34 AM
its a 1955 numbers matching. has a clear plastic finger wheel.  The Ringer that's in it is a Stromberg Carlson. it had a .27mfd cap across the A and K wires  actually soldered across the lugs and the slate and slate red wires disconnected and wrapped.  I read online that only the handset and dialer are exchangeable between the S-C500 and the WE 500. also can i put a metal finger wheel on it. any help or INfo on what i have will be appreciated.

Tom

In general, parts are directly interchangeable between 500-series sets manufactured by S.C., W.E., and ITT. 

The 591-series sets came from the factory without ringers being installed in order to allow the telcos to install their own; typically frequency-ringers for selective ringing on party-lines. 

Since did not provide us with the ringer number or better yet photos to help us determine whether the ringer responds to frequencies other than 20-cycles ringing current and because the value of the external capacitor is different than the one inside of the network, it suggest your ringer is not the typical straight-line or20-cycles ringer.

Are you having any issues with your set?

VintageTR

Quote from: G-Man on February 09, 2015, 09:08:47 AM
Quote from: VintageTR on February 09, 2015, 08:35:34 AM

Tom

In general, parts are directly interchangeable between 500-series sets manufactured by S.C., W.E., and ITT. 

The 591-series sets came from the factory without ringers being installed in order to allow the telcos to install their own; typically frequency-ringers for selective ringing on party-lines. 

Since did not provide us with the ringer number or better yet photos to help us determine whether the ringer responds to frequencies other than 20-cycles ringing current and because the value of the external capacitor is different than the one inside of the network, it suggest your ringer is not the typical straight-line or20-cycles ringer.

Are you having any issues with your set?

no, the phone dials out and receives calls no issues  just no ring.

G-Man

Here's short blurb regarding 591-sets. Also, I just reread your message and see where the slate and red/slate wires are taped and stored. This also indicates a frequency ringer. You will need a common C4-type ringer for your set.

G-Man

Same as 500-set, less ringer...

VintageTR

Quote from: G-Man on February 09, 2015, 09:47:58 AM
Same as 500-set, less ringer...

TY for schematic, it appears the disconnect the two leads to take the .47 cap from the circuit, so they can install a .27 to change the freg of the ring. if thats true I can cut the cap out at the lugs and  re install the a & k leads and operate normally if the cap inside the network is there and/or is good. is that right?

LarryInMichigan

The clapper and the metal reed which holds the clapper are both tuned to the ringer's frequency, so changing the capacitor alone will not likely help much.  You will be best off with a replacement ringer.

Larry

Phonesrfun

You will need to get a replacement ringer.  Since model 500 ringers are very plentiful and available, you will spend far less time replacing the ringer than trying to change physical and electrical aspects of the old ringer.  To reiterate what Larry said, changing the capaicitor will do little in helping you get this to ring.
-Bill G

VintageTR

Yes I have tested with a C4A out of another phone and it functions perfectly. I'm now in the market for a 1955 C4A. Thank you all for your help/advice, insight etc

Tom

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: VintageTR on February 10, 2015, 10:52:01 AM
Yes I have tested with a C4A out of another phone and it functions perfectly. I'm now in the market for a 1955 C4A. Thank you all for your help/advice, insight etc

Tom
I may have one available, let me check.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

VintageTR

kudos and many thanks to WesternElectricBen for letting go a ringer to get my phone functional.

Tom

WesternElectricBen