News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New guy/First post

Started by KWD, November 06, 2016, 08:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWD

Hello everyone. I just joined a few days ago after lurking for a couple of weeks. I'm really impressed with the amount of information here and the level of conversation.

I've been collecting old phones for a couple of decades now and I have about a dozen or so sets, mostly dial sets from the 30s and 40s. I think my favorite phone is an all original AE32 that I picked up about 10 years ago. Before I moved over here, I used it and several other phones (WE 202/E1, WE 653, AE50) as regular extensions at home. I had a land line that accommodated pulse dialing, so I just had them wired into the system with no modifications.

I'm not quite sure how I've missed this forum in the past, but better late than never I guess. By the way, if anyone is already using the image I chose for my avatar, please let me know and I'll change it. I'm currently living and working in Germany but I hope to retire in a couple of years and settle in Idaho or Nevada. Anyway, it's good to be here.

Bill
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy

Pourme

Welcome to the forum! What kind of phones do you find for sale locally there?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

KWD

I see a lot of old phones from Germany and Holland mostly. The "newer" old sets over here tend to be kind of ugly and not very interesting (to me) but I see quite a few from the 50s and earlier that are really nice. I tend to collect mostly WE and AE models that I can put into service, so I haven't actually bought any over here. But I might pick up one or two before I leave, just for the memories, so to speak.
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy

Pourme

I sometimes pout to myself because I live in a small community and don't tend to find the abundance of old phones others in the forum do....can't imagine living in a forgin country and never finding a cool USA made piece!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AE_Collector

Welcome KWD to the Classic Rotary Phone Forum! If you have been collecting phones for a couple of decades you are a few hundred phones behind but don't despair, we will help you rectify that!

I moved you over here to the New Members intro area where we can tell you that we need pictures of your collection etc.

Terry

KWD

Thanks Terry. I wasn't sure if I was in the right place or not. Unfortunately, most of my phones are in storage back in the States, although I have three or four here. I'm afraid I have fallen way behind. Actually, I tend to be pretty choosy and buy phones that I can use. But I am willing to learn...
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy

oldguy

Welcome Bill, you will find lots of support here. We are blessed over here with our access to WE & AE phones at our finger tips. We do like pictures, so let's see your phones.
Gary

Welcome to CRPF from north of the border. Great place to be, lots of information and conversations. Best of all is the members they never stop helping.

Project Telephone

Welcome from Cologne in Germany Bill! I hope you have fun in the forum, and find you what you search :)

Babybearjs

Bill, when you get ready to come back to the states, Idaho will be ready for you.... I moved here in '94 and have never regretted it... Great place to retire.... and yes, we collect phone here too!
John

KWD

Quote from: Project Telephone on November 07, 2016, 04:53:14 AM
Welcome from Cologne in Germany Bill! I hope you have fun in the forum, and find you what you search :)
Hello Köln! I'm in Wiesbaden. Thanks. I'm enjoying the forum already.

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 08, 2016, 01:54:15 AM
Bill, when you get ready to come back to the states, Idaho will be ready for you.... I moved here in '94 and have never regretted it... Great place to retire.... and yes, we collect phone here too!
Thank you John. I was actually born in Idaho (Elmore County General Hospital) but I mostly grew up in Nevada. I'm really looking forward to settling in Idaho for good.
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy

Dan/Panther

Welcome Bill, a very large portion of the members here have been members since day one, so yes we have a very close bond. The other day someone mentioned how hassle free this forum is and has been. I believe that speaks to the integrity of the members as a whole.
A great bunch of people.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson