News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bakelite.... is it still made?

Started by Babybearjs, January 12, 2016, 04:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

thought I'd ask this question.... is bakelite still made and used? since its a old world item.... I thought I'd ask..... with all the new materials that are available.... where does bakelite fit in now??
John

Ktownphoneco

Yes, Bakelite is still in common use today.        Some of the most common items are anything from the handles and feet on some brands of toasters, certain types of lamp sockets, circuit breakers in residential and commercial breaker panels, some electrical (cord) plugs, electrical switch parts.      I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of other items that are still made from it today, but that's a few of them.

G-Man

As Ktownphoneco has stated, manufacturers would be hard-pressed to find economic alternatives for some applications. BTW, by "Old World" do you really mean NYC, where it was invented by a Belgium immigrant?

WEBellSystemChristian

I have a snowblower kit that I use on my lawn tractor every winter, and part of it includes a swiveling chute. The plastic handle for that crank was black when it was new, but over time seems to have turned brown, like Bakelite. Somehow in storage, the handle broke in two, and now exposes a rough finish in the broken section. I don't know what that handle is made of, but it sure feels, breaks, and wears like bakelite to me, and it's only a couple years old!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Babybearjs

I totally forgot about the circuit breakers.... yes, they are made of bakelite, aren't they.... sold them for years, seen them around forever... anyway, thought I'd ask.... I know that cookware used to use bakelite.... handles and lid knobs. that's why I asked, My cookware is Stainless Steel and the knobs are too.... so I started to wonder.... because I don't remember the bakelite handles getting hot.... but that was decades ago....
John

Phonesrfun

Does Revere Ware still make pots, pans and lids with Bakelite handles?  I am pretty sure I have still seen them around, although I haven't bought one in years.
-Bill G