News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red '55 500 with original grey cords

Started by Tom B, February 18, 2012, 03:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

I don't think I'm queering anyone's pitch here - 6 bids already - another high end sale in progress...

"http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Rotary-Telephone-Red-/150761664245
Tom

TelePlay

Seems a bit high for a party line 501 C/D. Cords are interesting. Can't wait to see what the guys who know say about this listing.

Jester

I don't think its being a 501 would have a negative effect on the price.  The straight gray handset cord & the fact that it still has an intact gray mounting cord definitely adds value.  Some would even like to have the 426A valve that appears to still be inside.  As long as all parts are dated close to each other, I think the current interest is in keeping its collectibility.  It would be nice to think you had a chance to get it cheaper this early into the auction, though. 
Stephen

Dennis Markham

I think it looks very nice.  I sent off a question to the seller about 8:30 this morning asking for more information about the phone, including more photos.  I see he/she posted a few more but nothing under the hood.  As Stephen indicated, it seems to have increased in price early in the auction.    It's a nice example of an early soft plastic Red Model 500, or is it?  I asked about checking the housing date.  The additional photo of the handset does indicate that it's possibly original to the June of 1955 date.  The mounting cord looks black on my monitor.  I think it's at its peak value now, but I'll bet it goes higher in the end.  Nice phone.

Kenny C

Heres a photo for future reference.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

RotarDad

What do you guys think about the large gap in the shell on the left side of the dial opening?  It looks like a warp in the shell.  Can that be fixed?  The other thing is that this phone looks almost too shiny....  Maybe I just prefer some dust and dirt as an indicator of originality, then I can do the restoration work.   Paul

Paul

twocvbloke

Looking at the way the handset is leaning, I think the whole shell is twisted, even my red 500's case has a similar twist, just not so pronounced as that one... :-\

Shame really, it looks pretty nice... :)

Dennis Markham

It could be that the bracket that holds the dial is bent a little bit to the right, causing the bezel to be tight on one side with a gap on the other.  Or the shell could be warped...............

If it's just the dial bracket, that's a quick fix.

Dan

It could possibly not have the little grey gasket that goes around the number plate either, which makes the dial sit taller.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Tom B

Maybe the dial isn't set level in the bracket... lots of expensive could be's
Tom

Snake

I might be stating the obvious here for those who were bidding/watching, but I just thought I'd say this phone sold again, the second time around for a substantially lower price... http://www.ebay.com/itm/150773569563?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 I contacted the seller, they said that the previous buyer did not pay for it. I did bid on it, but I didn't get it. :(